LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK gang, expert opinions wanted.

Right now I've got my 19" TSW Thruxtons. Can't put drag radials on 'em, but my 19x9.5 rears, mounted with 265/30 Toyo Proxies hook up pretty well and I've managed to cut a 1.744 60-foot with them. Should do even better with drag radials.

So here are my options (rear fenders already rolled):

1. Go back to the stock rims, and mount them with a set of 4 Nittos 555R's at 245/45-17. This would fit fine and would last longer, but they're heavy. I like lightweight rims.

2. Go back to the stock rims, and mount the rears with 275/40-17 Nitto 555R's. This should fit, and I'll keep the stock BFG's on the front. This is my cheapest option, but they're still heavy.

3. Get a set of 18" TSW Thruxtons. 8" in front (40mm offset) and 9.5" in back (45mm offset). Then mount them with BFG Drag Radials in the rear, either 275/35-18 or 265/40-18. (And 245/40-18 regular BFG's up front). This should fit pretty well and I'll maintain the same TSW look I have now. Plus, TSW's are lighter than stock.

4. Get a set of 17x8 Oz Supperleggeras (40mm offset). Mount them as in #2. These are great looking rims and are very lightweight.

So, questions: would 17's or 18's be better for drag racing? Would a larger aspect ratio or smaller be better? And is a bigger footprint better in back, e.g. 9.5"?

Padre

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
CMNT was discussing the advantage/disadvantages of side walls and its implications on drag racing. i cant remember the thread or exactly what he said about it. sorry.
but maybe he will chime in and give us a refresher.

·
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GTOdriver7 said:
CMNT was discussing the advantage/disadvantages of side walls and its implications on drag racing.
Found it:

Generally, yes, wider tires will wear more on the drivetrain due to their larger contact patch being able to get a larger footprint. HOWEVER, most times, when going to a wider tire, you also have a shorter sidewall. The shorter a sidewall is, the stiffer it is, the stiffer it is when power is applied to it, the less give it has and will let the tires spin.

A taller sidewalled tire will absorb the power by "wrinkling" some, therefore not as easily over powering the foot print of the tire.

As an example, on the Camaro, I run around on 275/40/17 tires on the street, but when I take it racing, I run a 255/50/16 BFG Drag Radial. It is a slightly narrower tire, but has that taller sidewall combined with a smaller wheel which allows the sidewall to absorb some of the power. If I ran a similar size drag radial as my street tires, I'd get a lot more wheelspin and a larger footprint which equals more rolling resistance once moving.
Hmmmm....

Padre

·
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, this is what I'm thinking now:

My current 265/30's have an 80mm sidewall. Stock 245/45's have a 110.25mm sidewall. 265/40's are 106mm. 275/40's are 110mm.

So if I go with 18's with 265/40's on the rear, I'll only have 4mm less sidewall than mounting stock-size tires on 17" rims. Plus, the car will look much better with 18's.

So now the question is, do I stick with the TSW look or go for the OZ's?

Padre

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Personaly, I like the look of the TSW's a lot better, i'd get those if it were my car. The OZ are nice but awfull expensive.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Don't pretend to be an expert, but based on CMNT's quote... wouldn't finding 16 wheels be something to look into? These would be just for racing, or do you race so much you need the wheels to be streetable? (snickers to herself)

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Assuming they fit over the calipers, i'd go with 16's or 17's with some drag radials. Higher profile tires tend to bite better and are less expensive to replace.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Couldn't you go wider than you might normally want to on a stock 17" rim and underinflate for the strip? That way you've got a bigger patch and more sidewall wrinkle.

·
That's Got A V6 Right?
303 Posts
I agree with CMNT more sidewall less spin. even stay 17 but go up to a 50/60 sidewall so you can under inflate (without cupping) and get a better jump. Low profiles are great for cornering but I never saw a corner on a 1/4 mile ;)

·
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You know, I'm also thinking 18's might be better if I ever decide to go with bigger brakes.

Padre

·
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ArlingtonGoat said:
I agree with CMNT more sidewall less spin. even stay 17 but go up to a 50/60 sidewall so you can under inflate (without cupping) and get a better jump. Low profiles are great for cornering but I never saw a corner on a 1/4 mile ;)
Thing is, I only have these choices:

BFG g-Force Drag Radials:
205/40-17
225/45-17
245/40-18
265/40-18
275/35-17

Nitto 555R's:
245/45-17
275/40-17
285/35-18

Nitto has some 245/50-16's, but there are no rims in 16" for the GTO.

Padre

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I'd go with the 275/40 -17 Nittos. Pretty close to stock diameter. A bit wide for the stock rims, but should clear the wheel well OK.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
PadreGTO said:
Alas, nothing bigger than 16". If someone could point me to some race-only 16" wheels, that would be fine, but I suspect I'd have to get them custom made.

Padre
I'm having a set of 15 x 9 rear wheels made for me. According to the manufacturer, they have a design that'll work...

Ed

·
Been here for a long time...
4,658 Posts
EDC said:
I'm having a set of 15 x 9 rear wheels made for me. According to the manufacturer, they have a design that'll work...

Ed
15" would be ideal if they fit over the calipers. Plenty of sizes to choose from also. Fat and tall would be the way to go :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
PadreGTO said:
You know, I'm also thinking 18's might be better if I ever decide to go with bigger brakes.

Padre
I would vote for choice #3, going with an 18" version of your wheels. They look awesome , IMO.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
PadreGTO said:
Found it:

Hmmmm....

Padre

Where did you get your TSWs from and what do they sell for? I know Butler Tire in Marietta does great work. They did some wheel/tire work on my Alfa Romeo 164 a few years back.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts