LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short; a friend’s 05 most likely needs a new ECU as he’s getting this code. The car will randomly start or not start at all, and if it does start, it shuts off after a minute.

Already gone thru the research to find that ECU’s are year specific, 05’s are no longer available new or refurbished, and the ones you can find are $800-$1000.

Anyone know what the exact difference is between the 05 and 06 E40? Looks like the pinouts are the same, so guess it’s either internal differences or slight software/programming differences which keep an 06 GTO E40 from working in an 05.

·
Administrator
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plenty of info out there that states the 05 and 06 E40’s are year specific.

I’ve vetted that info as well.

What I need to know is what are the actual differences. That’s the mystery.

·
GR-RRR!
4,724 Posts
Where would you get one reprogrammed? Dealership only? Most probably won't know how to work on a Pontiac anymore if they ever did.

·
Need To Drive More
1,460 Posts
Been through this. Can definitely confirm the ECU's are year specific since it cost me some money finding out the hard way.

Service Numbers:

Installed in Corvette VIN U, GTO VIN H, Envoy VIN M, Trailblazer EXT VIN M, SSR VIN H, Rainier VIN M, Ascender VIN M, Saab 9-7x VIN M.

Also, cant flash an ECU back to stock that has a custom OS on it like the HPT 2 Bar OS.
Ching Chong TechII and 3 day subscription to ACDelco TDS can program the ECU.

As far as why? Still do not know why since both the factory tunes are identical. Possibly the serial numbers in the OS were programmed in just for certain years? Security?

·
Worthless reject member
38,041 Posts
Been through this. Can definitely confirm the ECU's are year specific since it cost me some money finding out the hard way.

Service Numbers:

Installed in Corvette VIN U, GTO VIN H, Envoy VIN M, Trailblazer EXT VIN M, SSR VIN H, Rainier VIN M, Ascender VIN M, Saab 9-7x VIN M.

Also, cant flash an ECU back to stock that has a custom OS on it like the HPT 2 Bar OS.
Ching Chong TechII and 3 day subscription to ACDelco TDS can program the ECU.

As far as why? Still do not know why since both the factory tunes are identical. Possibly the serial numbers in the OS were programmed in just for certain years? Security?
I would venture to guess it has to have something to do with how it communicates with the other modules in the car. I would guess the PIM.

The ECM has no way of knowing it's in the wrong year model car, if everything else is equal. Something else other than the ECM is different per year model, requiring the specific part number of ECM to match. So another year specific part.

If it were a simple "we need to link the ECM/PIM/BCM" issue, there wouldn't be an issue with year specific anything.

·
Administrator
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1887194

That should be the right PN for the 05. Seems like it is still available.
Already vetted that. Go ahead and try to buy it and let me know what it tells you...
I would venture to guess it has to have something to do with how it communicates with the other modules in the car. I would guess the PIM.

The ECM has no way of knowing it's in the wrong year model car, if everything else is equal. Something else other than the ECM is different per year model, requiring the specific part number of ECM to match. So another year specific part.

If it were a simple "we need to link the ECM/PIM/BCM" issue, there wouldn't be an issue with year specific anything.
Could possibly be that, so I’m looking for answers. As it stands, the only concrete info I can find is that you must have an 05 E40 GTO ECU in an 05 GTO. There are eBay sellers that state they can program an 06 E40 to work on an 05, but that you lose VATS and can’t reprogram it (custom tune) without it bricking itself.

·
Worthless reject member
38,041 Posts
Odd that it would brick itself. Write entire or write calibration, or would that matter?

Just a quick search shows two abs controller part numbers, one for 04/05 and one for 05/06. PIM is the same for 05/06 i think.

·
Administrator
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where would you get one reprogrammed? Dealership only? Most probably won't know how to work on a Pontiac anymore if they ever did.
GM dealership with a Tech 2 linked to their software to program the VIN and link all of the computers together. It’s a GM vehicle; the fact that it’s a Pontiac makes zero difference as the procedures are all still in their systems to pull up and reference.

·
Administrator
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Odd that it would brick itself. Write entire or write calibration, or would that matter?
I’m just regurgitating what I’ve read about 06 ECU’s in an 05.

That said, used 05 ECU’s can be found (for a hefty price tag).

·
Worthless reject member
38,041 Posts
I’m just regurgitating what I’ve read about 06 ECU’s in an 05.

That said, used 05 ECU’s can be found (for a hefty price tag).
I posted that rockauto link. It should be the right PN. Says it's still available.

Can you swap a used e40 in by changing the vin and disabling VATS like you can with an 04?

·
Administrator
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Back to my original question:

Can anyone tell me what the hell the difference is that requires an 05 to have an 05 ECU?

That seems to be the mystery with no answer other than “they are simply year specific”.

·
Administrator
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I posted that rockauto link. It should be the right PN. Says it's still available.

Can you swap a used e40 in by changing the vin and disabling VATS like you can with an 04?
Again, go try and buy it and tell me what happens.

You’re asking a question I don’t have an answer to. I’m looking for these answers as it looks like the only way to use an 06 E40 is by losing some OEM features. We don’t want that.

·
Worthless reject member
38,041 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts