LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asked if the GTO is drive by wire like the Vette. I am pretty sure it is not, but was wondering if anyone knows what the solenoid where the cables are routed to from the fire wall and from the throttle body does? Is it some sort of decelerator? :confused:

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Throttle cable tensioner and cruise control solenoid. And if anybody has a spare cover for this unit, please let me know as the clips on mine are broken off and the dealers only sell the entire unit - $650.
Dan

·
2,432 Posts
Are they saying the C5 or C6 are fly by wire?

I took a good look around my neighbors new GXP this weekend. That is fly by wire. He said it's pretty strange. He doesn't like not getting feedback from the gas pedal.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DANSLS1 said:
Throttle cable tensioner and cruise control solenoid. And if anybody has a spare cover for this unit, please let me know as the clips on mine are broken off and the dealers only sell the entire unit - $650.
Dan
how did the clips get broken?

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Well, there's a thread about it - but long story short my dad was dinking around under the hood and wanted to look at it. It is a 'pinch/ squeeze' removal type clip - and he thought it was spring clips. Needless to say they just broke off. Luckily it press fits and doesn't move around. I'm not in any drastic hurry to get it replaced or anything - but it'd be nice to have a fresh one.
Dan

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AmesGTO said:
Are they saying the C5 or C6 are fly by wire?

I took a good look around my neighbors new GXP this weekend. That is fly by wire. He said it's pretty strange. He doesn't like not getting feedback from the gas pedal.
c5 is fly by wire according to a friend who modifies engines for a local company. They have the ability to decelerate faster than we could with our cable/pedal system, or so he says. He has been a porter for about 30 years now, and knows more about gm motors than anyone I ever met. When I first got the GTO he crawled all over that thing like he was a monkey and started calculating possible hp output. He tells me that he is working on a pair of heads for an Australian outfit right now. He also scored me a sheetmetal manifold for my last car.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Well of course the Vette can slow down faster. It's lighter and has better brakes. :D

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Given the "interesting" unexplained ECM phenomenon some of us have experienced, I'm not entirely sure I want that thing running the gas. I think it's going to be part and parcel of the LS2, if I'm not mistaken.

·
2,432 Posts
mistermike said:
Given the "interesting" unexplained ECM phenomenon some of us have experienced, I'm not entirely sure I want that thing running the gas. I think it's going to be part and parcel of the LS2, if I'm not mistaken.
I've always thought that these problems are really bad battery problems. From programming the PCM in a lot of GTO's and comparing that with programming SS's I have noticed the GTO's PCM is very sensitive to low voltage problems.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
My 95 Power Stroke was fly by wire.
Took some getting used too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
DANSLS1 said:
Dan
Dan, pretty sure yours are the same as ours, the box with the broken clips is the 'Throttle Relaxer' it has one cable going to the TB, one cable to the pedal & the third going to the Cruise Module on the RHS inner guard.

Both the Cruise & the pedal pull the cable to the tb through the relaxer, when the Traction Control unit detects a lack of traction, the relaxer 'relaxes' the cable to the tb & gives the tapping sensation on the pedal.

R

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
My throttle needs relaxed. :sneaky:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts