LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the first episode they buy Carroll Shelby's secret project Pantera that he used in the 80s as a test bed for a new Dodge car that eventually lead to the Viper. Problem is, it was missing the engine which Shelby apparently used a NASCAR 360 and twin turbo'd it. They track down the engine and restore the car. The thing is, I'm completely confused by the intake setup on this thing. I can't find a pic or video, so I'll try to explain it.

They had this huge chrome looking intercooler on top where the carb would go and it looks like the carb sat out in front (closer to the back in the Pantera). It had headers on it that went up and the turbos were mounted next to the carb, just a bit lower and connected to the part below the carb. It doesn't look like there's anything below this except a mounting plate and bracket. On top of the car is just a tiny air cleaner. It would seem that the air is coming in through the carb, being split to both sides through the turbos, up to the intercooler and through the intake, but I've never seen a setup like this before. I guess it has something to do with Gale Banks turbos. I found this and the Pantera looked similar but only had a single carb instead of dual like this one. Everything else looks like a normal turbo carb setup with the boosted air being pushed through the carb. Anyone know more about this setup?

·
17,285 Posts
That is a draw-thru carb setup, IIRC. The bad part of that design I would think is the compressor wheel does not like 'liquid' (atomized fuel in this case) when it's spinning so fast.

·
17,285 Posts
I remember seeing them way back when, although blow thru was more common even then. Maybe it was a turbo technical book or something, just have a vivid memory for that setup so when I saw the pic it brought it back. Also, when I was putting together my water (and methanol) injection in my research there was simpler methods like introducing water pre-compressor wheel rather than after, but even with a mist being introduced to the speeds of the wheel being well over 150k rpm, didn't make sense to go that route.

Semi-related story: Was looking into a centrifugal supercharger setup on my carb'd truck many years ago and of course that is essentially a belt-driven turbo. Anyhow, the carb needed to be modified on that method (don't recall the details) but otherwise worked well vs. a draw thru it didn't need those modifications, per se. But, port fuel injection is the better way to go, regardless. Not sure if there were any practical methods to run a draw thru on a centrif-SC although the concept would be the same. Would not be the right way to do it, at any rate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts