LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day it rained all day and out of nowhere the drivers side window was letting little drops of water in. Turned out the window wasn't going all the way up. I ran a few searches on here but everything seemed to be a different problem, whether it be opening the door or the glass coming out of the front guide thing. My problem was that I'd roll it all the way up but it would stop about a quarter inch shy of the lip at the top, and physically wouldn't go any higher, like something was blocking it. (foreshadowing)

IMG_20200730_081047.jpg

Anyway it looked like I was just going to have to get into it and see if there was an obvious problem, which is what I did tonight since we're supposed to get rain all frickin day again tomorrow. So off came the door panel but the track bolts were in place and everything I could see from there seemed normal, so then I took off the mirror to see the front side of the track.

Looks like part of the top clip broke off somehow and was sitting at the top of the track, and when the window would get rolled up it was blocking it as alluded to before. So I dug that out of there with some needle nose and now the window goes up too far and pushes up on the lip if I hold the switch too long.

IMG_20200731_190654.jpg

I'm wondering if I can experiment with putting something in there to stop it at just the right height for now.

·
GR-RRR!
5,652 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen recently.

I was lucky, the track guide in my instance wasn't damaged and I was able to reattach it. The metal piece attached to the glass had also come loose so I took it all apart, reinstalled the guide and got it back on the track and epoxied the metal support back onto the glass. I'll bet even though your plastic guide is buggered up that you could epoxy it back into place and get it working properly again. Unless you destroyed it in the process of getting it out of the way.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine still seems to be solidly affixed to the glass, so idk how easy it's gonna be to remove to put a new clip on, or where I'm gonna find a new clip for that matter. The broken clip piece at the top of the track was all cracked up and I had to just get it out of there so I could get the window up for all this rain today.

I was gonna go to the shop and start working on the winter beater but maybe I'll pull this in there and investigate further.

·
GR-RRR!
5,652 Posts
I'd bet $10 that bracket would come off the glass with a few tugs or taps. The glue they used doesn't seem to stand up to the test of time.

I'd venture a guess the only way to get that clip/guide would be to buy a replacement window that has the brackets still attached. Maybe if someone has a damaged door where the glass has been broken would have the bracket and guide separately that you could buy. Lot's of wrecked GTOs out there (unfortunately).

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My thought was that since that piece in the track was preventing the glass from going all the way up, even when I reached in there initially and pushed up from the bottom, that it must be bonded to the glass pretty good still. Either way it's broken and I'll have to go one of the routes you suggested.

·
Living the dream!
4,830 Posts
92095869Guide Channel
Guide Channel, LEFT

92095870Guide Channel
Guide Channel, RIGHT

They're the part numbers...good luck!

I'm looking through different window channel parts online, trying to find a similar part from another vehicle to see if it can somehow be modified to work...

·
Living the dream!
4,830 Posts
Go to summittracing dot com and look this up; United Pacific B21114
It may not be an exact match, but...

You can contact a place like FParts (contemporary corvette) in Bristol, PA for that, but I doubt they'll sell it without trying to unload the whole door or window along with it.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
92095869Guide Channel
Guide Channel, LEFT

92095870Guide Channel
Guide Channel, RIGHT

They're the part numbers...good luck!

I'm looking through different window channel parts online, trying to find a similar part from another vehicle to see if it can somehow be modified to work...

It looks like from some parts sites that I found that those are the part numbers for #4 in your diagram, if I'm not mistaken I need #2, which seems to be the same for either side. I also found this, not sure if it's true or even helps but it might be the same part as a Catera?

Screenshot_20200802-074108~2.png

·
Living the dream!
4,830 Posts
Oh, I thought it was #4 that you needed. Either way, I'm not sure if the Catera had the same seals/guides, but it's definitely worth a try if they're not too expensive. Just check (before you buy) to see if you can return them if it's not compatible.

If and when you get a chance, get all of the broken parts together that make up #2, take a photo of them and PM that photo to me. If they're not too large, I can probably glue them together to make a mold and create an OEM replica of it. And if you have access to one, you can even scan it into a 3D printer and create your own. You'll just need to glue it together first, then scan it in as a whole piece for the printer to replicate.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The same thing happened to my Daily Driver GTO... Had to get a used window from the Junk yard that had the front clip still glued to the right place... I'm in agreement with Rich-Tripower, the glue is not meant to hold against the test of time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts