LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im pulling the tranny on the gto and i am having trouble getting the driveshaft out. iv taken out all the bolts that bolt the drive shaft to the trans, the rear end and the center section. i cannot get it out of the car, iv tried slidding it torwards the trans to get the rear section to drop out and i have tried to slide it torwards the rear. Any tips or suggestions?

·
...brah
8,810 Posts
Did you remove the bolts that hold the carrier bearing to the car?

·
resident lugnut
1,027 Posts
all the bolts are out of the rubber doughnuts, if not you might have a hell of a time. driveshaft really needs to be hanging down towards the ground to get enough gap.

·
950 psi
2,499 Posts
I removed the rear rubber coupler and it dropped right down

·
Registered
584 Posts
Use a small prybar to help get the clearance.

·
950 psi
2,499 Posts
+1^^^^^ I used a a pry bar after is removed the rear couple bolts

·
Great Lakes Beer!
100 Posts
Def have to remove the rubber coupler from the rear. Try to push the front up next to the transmission, then there should be enough room to drop it down.

·
13 year owner
16,385 Posts
I had to get it to bow in the center at the carrier bearing to get enough clearance.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I just unbolted the exhaust, it took maybe an extra 15 minutes.

It lets you get the clearance for the middle to bend and then it just falls right out.

Id rather remove the exhaust cause I wrestled with the drive shaft for about 30 min then just decided I was tired of cussing at it and took the exhaust off it was so much easier.

I have jba catless mids and cat back tho so it may make it easier.

·
13 year owner
16,385 Posts
I thought it would be safe to "presume" the OP removed the exhaust already because it would be virtually impossible to remove the driveshaft with the exhaust on the car.

·
450+rwhp club :D
2,842 Posts
I thought it would be safe to "presume" the OP removed the exhaust already because it would be virtually impossible to remove the driveshaft with the exhaust on the car.
Uh yeah, and the trans....

·
Banned
4,898 Posts

It isn't impossible at all... I even have an 05/06 exhaust under my car and can get my DS out. It is a PITA but can be done with some slight tugging. This last time I didn't jack the car up at all and didn't have a pry bar, but I still managed to get the job done. Not the ideal situation but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Oh and I think you mean assume, not presume... unless I missed some inside joke.

·
13 year owner
16,385 Posts
I never use the word "assume" because you know what that means, right?

Anyway, it would be nearly impossible for me, since I have a full Stainless works system with 3" plumbing in the cat-back portion. Trust me, I thought about it when I did all the work I did, and it's much easier to simply remove it. This is why I posted the viewpoint I did. I suppose if you have an OEM setup, or a smaller aftermarket unit, it might be feasbile. But there isn't a lot of free real estate up there with that big system I have on it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm rebuilding the rear end in a '06 GTO. I'm having trouble getting the 3 bolts out of the rear yoke. A 14mm wrench fits, but won't grip well enough to break the bolts loose. Is there a special socket that works on these bolts?

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
@big_gear_head

Yea it is called a E17 socket.
Not sure this is accurate. I am about to take my driveshaft off and I'm not seeing an E17 torx bit even made... even on Snap On's website. I know this thread is 6 years old but I'd still like these threads to be somewhat accurate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts