LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks!

Over the last 1.5 years I've replaced/rebuilt the entire front and rear-end of my 06 M6 PBM with 94k miles. When I say everything I mean everything: tires, wheels, rotors, pads, brake lines, parking brake shoes/cables, wheel bearings (all four), strut mounts, struts, shocks, springs, bushings (including radius rod), inner/outer tie rods, ball joints, sway bars, endlinks, driveshaft (dss), axles (gforce), toe rod (gforce), and diff cover (harrop). The car feels absolutely amazing all around - I'm pleased with how everything turned out. Special thanks to Andy and Rob.

I had the differential rebuilt by Charles Ready as part of this refresh. Replaced gears with OEM ratio, bearings, side adjusters, seals, the works. Upon return I installed the harrop cover, filled with cheap vavoline gear oil, and re-installed the diff into the car. From there I did 500 miles of light/modest driving and then drained and filled with torco with friction modifier.

I now have ~1000 miles on the diff with several hundred miles being a track day at Thompson speedway. Before, during, and after this event I have what I would describe as drivetrain "binding". It happens randomly and I have not yet identified a common denominator but here's whats happening:

After the driveline has warmed up and always from a stop, when I accelerate slowly I feel and hear some sort of resistance in the rear like the diff/axles don't want to rotate. The first time this happened I thought something was dragging, rubbing, or the like - it wasn't. Everything is tight and torqued to spec. This issue never presents itself above a few mph. It has happened about a dozen times to date. I suspect fluid and/or friction modifier are the culprit and that I should start with adding an ounce and evaluating results. Regardless, I wanted to see if anyone here had any thoughts.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exhaust Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper Hood

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Does it make any pops per se? Mine did leaving from stops occassionally when it was low. New fluid and fm fixed that issue

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it make any pops per se? Mine did leaving from stops occassionally when it was low. New fluid and fm fixed that issue
Its a deep pop, almost a thud. I've stuck a gopro in the rear on my last few drives but, of course, nothing...yet.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wanted to say damn that looks nice. That’s a nice undercarriage.
Thanks! I drive the car like I stole it but also maintain it meticulously. It's a vehicle I plan to keep it for life so its been getting a bunch of love lately to position me for the next 100k miles/15 years.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: Added an additional 2oz of type F friction modifier and have yet to encountered the aforementioned binding, no pops when doing figure-eights, two-wheel burnouts happen every time. Zing!

At the end of the day my car with the harrop cover took 3 quarts of gear oil and 4oz of friction modifier.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update: Added an additional 2oz of type F friction modifier and have yet to encountered the aforementioned binding, no pops when doing figure-eights, two-wheel burnouts happen every time. Zing!

At the end of the day my car with the harrop cover took 3 quarts of gear oil and 4oz of friction modifier.
Hey Joegig89 your post describes my cars symptoms exactly and i was wondering what brand fluids you went with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts