LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, since I was under the car giving her the maiden oil change Saturday afternoon, I was playing with stuff underneath the car. I started playing with the driving lights and popped the bulb out.

It is a 9040 bulb. The 9040 has a metal painted tip so as to defract direct light to eliminate blinding. Similar to a low beam 9006 headlight capsule. So I go to CMNT’s lighting vault (one drawer in one of my roller cabinets solely for bulbs) and I started playing around with what I had in stock. I found a spare set of PIAA 9006 HB3 (low beam bulbs). They were the same exact base, same exact everything, except for one thing, it is a slight bit longer of a bulb than the 9040. So I tried fitting it in the housing. Very, very close, but that added length of the bulb hits the deflector inside the housing itself. So back to the drawing board I go. I found a high beam 9005 HB3 bulb. IT’S ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL! Except it doesn’t have the added metal painted tip to defract light. I popped it in connected everything, and it works like a charm. Now it has one less deflection in the light housing. It looked to lay out a little more light outright too (seeing as though it was a 60w high beam bulb vs. the 9040’s 40w output).

So for a cheap, free (well almost free anyway) lighting mod, you can try this.

Once again, it’s a 9005 HB3 bulb

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I did the same thing with my GTP. The factory bulb was 27 watts and the bulb that I was told that would fit was 38 watts. Several people have tried 50 watt bulbs and say they dont have any problems, but alot of people are claiming that the fog light housing is melting from the heat.

For me the 27 to 38 bulb change made a huge difference.

Keep us informed if you have any problems.

thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I did it to my 1999 GTP....and it did melt the housing!!! I am interested to see if this works or not.

Good trying cmnt! (wondering how you find the time to experiment...I don't even have the time to crawl under her yet!)

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Speed Inc had an open house, the beautiful G/F wasn’t particularly interested in going as she was getting dinner cooked for her, I and the family, so I got some free time to play around.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
9005 has filament oriented 90 degree compared to 9040. This will affect reflector geometry, but probably not that critical in a non-projector application. Lack of tip shield will create more of a hot spot to approaching drivers, but longitudinal filament orientation will minimize this. Lots of color temperature choices in 9005. Main concern would be the extra wattage in a plastic housing.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no meltage yet.

Mike, the driving light housing has it's own shield in it too, so you won't blind any oncoming drivers but it is one less point of refraction.

It's also more powerful. I think the 9040 is a 40w bulb and the 9005 I put in was a 55w bulb. When I upgrade to PIAA bulbs, they'll be even stronger. :D

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
no meltage yet.

Mike, the driving light housing has it's own shield in it too, so you won't blind any oncoming drivers but it is one less point of refraction.

It's also more powerful. I think the 9040 is a 40w bulb and the 9005 I put in was a 55w bulb. When I upgrade to PIAA bulbs, they'll be even stronger. :D
Yep, I forgot about the built-in shield in the fixture. No melts yet? Cool. What's the longest you've had the driving lights on in a single stretch? Bigger wattage? Here ya go

:D

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Silver Star

The Sylvania Silver Star is what I want to put in. They are 70w in the 9005. I put them in our other vehicles (truck, Harley and Grand AM) and the difference is very significant. Not HID, but as close as you will get for $25 or so per bulb.

Sylvania does not list the H9 or H11 in Silver Star yet, but I have contacted them about availability and am waiting for a reply.

Diggs

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Boo Hiss

My reply from Sylvania.

Good Morning Diggs,
Thank you for your web inquiry and interest in the SilverStar product line. The two lamps that you reference, the H11 & H9 are not currently manufactured in the SilverStar. There are no plans to make the H9 or H11 in SilverStar in the near future. I will forward your interest to the marketing department for tracking purposes regarding new product requests by consumers. Please continue to check our website www.sylvania.com for new product updates in the future.

Thank you,
Heather Kennett
Customer Service

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2004 8:21 PM
To: *Hillsboro - CS WebMail
Subject: OSRAM SYLVANIA Inc Contact Us Web site submission

Subject: OSRAM SYLVANIA Inc Contact Us Web site submission

DIRECTED TO: Automotive

NAME: Diggs
COMPANY:
EMAIL: [email protected]
ADDRESS: Nope
CITY: Woodbridge
STATE/PROV: VA
ZIP: 22193
PHONE: Nope
FAX:

COMMENTS:
I have a new 2004 Pontiac GTO. It has H9 and H11 headlights. I would like to know if you are going to be making the Silver Star in H9 and H11. I have already switched my truck, motorcycle and Grand AM to Silver Star and can't wait to change the GTO. Thanks, Diggs
So what is the next best thing? I can't justify the cost of an HID conversion just yet.

Diggs

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Diggs said:
The Sylvania Silver Star is what I want to put in. They are 70w in the 9005. I put them in our other vehicles (truck, Harley and Grand AM) and the difference is very significant. Not HID, but as close as you will get for $25 or so per bulb.

Sylvania does not list the H9 or H11 in Silver Star yet, but I have contacted them about availability and am waiting for a reply.

Diggs
Try www.hoen-usa.com

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
From what I can tell, the regular xenonmatch are $29 / pr and titanium are $49 / pr plus shipping. Looks like they only make the H9 in regular.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts