LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Deuce and a Half
Joined
·
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I was searching for HID info on the site and I never found anything that explained how the ls1speed HID conversion would deal with the drl. The stock headlights use the lowbeams on the projector sections as drl and the high beam portions of that same bulb as the regular headlights, right? The high beams are a seperate bulb on the outer pair of the headlights.

Do the HIDS turn on at all when DRLs are on? Or do they themselves respond the same with a high and low setting?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,773 Posts
LiqTenExp said:
Hey,

I was searching for HID info on the site and I never found anything that explained how the ls1speed HID conversion would deal with the drl. The stock headlights use the lowbeams on the projector sections as drl and the high beam portions of that same bulb as the regular headlights, right? The high beams are a seperate bulb on the outer pair of the headlights.

Do the HIDS turn on at all when DRLs are on? Or do they themselves respond the same with a high and low setting?
Un plug the DRL relay
 

·
Deuce and a Half
Joined
·
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, well I am sure that would solve it but I was wondering how they would react to the DRLs being on.
 

·
THE ROKET WAS SOLD ON 6/22/14
Joined
·
9,794 Posts
DevilYellow said:
It'd fry the ballasts. You have to have the DRL relay out.
I pulled the fuse out for the DRL's under the hood. I still get the little headlight on the display, but now I have control of what lights I want to run during the day. I like using the running lights with the lower driving lights (fog) on during the day time or no lights at all depending where I am. From what I can tell, pulling that fuse didn't affect anything else but the DRL's.

ROK
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,773 Posts
ROKS ROCKET said:
I pulled the fuse out for the DRL's under the hood. I still get the little headlight on the display, but now I have control of what lights I want to run during the day. I like using the running lights with the lower driving lights (fog) on during the day time or no lights at all depending where I am. From what I can tell, pulling that fuse didn't affect anything else but the DRL's.

ROK
You are correct.
 

·
Suck it Trebek
Joined
·
1,502 Posts
I don't believe there is a seperate DRL fuse...just a DRL relay that sends headlight voltage through a voltage reducer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Be careful with those high powered lights.
I have a friend who worked at chevy & said sometimes
they get too hot & melt the lenses. And as ive heard getting parts for our
cars are pretty dificult
 

·
Deuce and a Half
Joined
·
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
These are actually lower power lights, 35w versus 55w.
 

·
Suck it Trebek
Joined
·
1,502 Posts
monte said:
Be careful with those high powered lights.
I have a friend who worked at chevy & said sometimes
they get too hot & melt the lenses. And as ive heard getting parts for our
cars are pretty dificult
They actually run cooler than conventional halogen/zenon type bulbs.

Your friend was probably commenting on bulbs like PIAA or HID "look" bulbs which are just colored and higher wattage. They put out a TON more heat yet only a little more light than stock halogens.

True mercury vapor arc HIDs are the way to go :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
mr2guru said:
They actually run cooler than conventional halogen/zenon type bulbs.

Your friend was probably commenting on bulbs like PIAA or HID "look" bulbs which are just colored and higher wattage. They put out a TON more heat yet only a little more light than stock halogens.

True mercury vapor arc HIDs are the way to go :D
Do you know where i gan get a set?
 

·
Suck it Trebek
Joined
·
1,502 Posts
I've used McCullough(sp?) Brightstar, XEquipped.com ones...All with excellent results on various cars.

The problem is finding H11 ones. They are a bit more scarce.
 

·
May I quote you on that?
Joined
·
22,046 Posts
The HID's are not a Mercury arc, they use Xenon gas with a high voltage discharge.
There are a number of HID kits on Ebay supposedly compatible with H11. Caveat Emptor. Speed Inc. sells a kit for the GTO.
 

·
Suck it Trebek
Joined
·
1,502 Posts

·
May I quote you on that?
Joined
·
22,046 Posts
Nice articles. The salts are probably a proprietary mix (or witches brew) of various metals. But if it contains any mercury, they gotta make it public. So I guess it's not a pure Xenon arc like used in film projection or flashtubes, nor is it a traditional mercury vapor that needs its UV dominant spectrum shifted with a phosphor. It's not a classic metal-halide (multivapor) either,which has pronounced color shift with burn angle and serious hot-start issues. Interesting, thanks!
 

·
Let's Build Some Hurtin Bombs
Joined
·
969 Posts
Like i have said i have Hids in my head and fog lites... I just pulled out the DRL Fuse and its fine...Like someone said they do run cooler...and i have had no problems with them.............BTW Other than from the factory Hid kits are illegal. Good thing is cops really dont inforce that law. A decent hid kit runs about 450-500 due to them now being hard to get and most aftermarket places have to get them from an overseas distributor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
I've had real HID lights on my car for a couple years now. I bought one of the ebay kits for about $290 and they have worked great ever since. Most of these kits use the same manufacture, you might get cheaper packaging if you buy from the manufacture on ebay but it's better then spending $400 or $500. I also put a pair in my mom's SRX for her birthday and those worked great too. I was concerned about the SRX because of the projector lenses but they worked great too. Both kits were 8,000K and they're pretty blue, that's about the darkest I would recommend. 6000K seem to be the brightest if that's what you're going for. It's amazing how big of a difference they make, I haven't used my brights for a long time just because my regular lights are so bright.
I had some lame cop pull me over and tell me my blue bulbs were illegal. I turned off my lights and told him to go shine his flash light on them, after seeing that they were clear he let me go. The cop wasn't "bright enough" to think that they might be aftermarket HIDs.
 

·
297kW User
Joined
·
1,928 Posts
DevilYellow said:
It'd fry the ballasts. You have to have the DRL relay out.
That shouldn't happen.

I have a Xenondepot HID kit on a 99 Deville with DRLs and the HIDs simply come on whenever the car is in gear, it's worked fine for over a year.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top