LS1GTO Forums banner

Dropped from a 4.1" to 3.7"... ;)

678 views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  CRZYLS2 
#1 ·
Well, with some minor tuning, i've got this 3.7 running nice and safe. Will try and jump on the dyno this weekend to tweak it out. Now instead of coming on real strong on the big end, it comes on at <3000 ;) ... can't wait to see what else i can squeeze out of the car.

no meth no alky no juice no gimmicks. this AZPS package is THE SHIT!

ps: thanks to Les (loboost) for the idea/info/lead :)

#6 ·
Just curious what your issue with Meth is? It cools the intake temps and adds octane- both of which are beneficial on a boosted motor.

The smaller pulley is nice in the mid-bottom end though, isn't it :)? I couldn't believe the difference in the bottom end on my car going to the 3.4" (P1).

As for safe boost, I have heard many, many conflicting stories- I just do my thing and rely on my experiences to determine what is "safe". Another thing to understand is there there is much more to it than just "psi", I have seen 12:1 motors with 12 psi on pump gas and alky with a good tune (not LSX's) and I have seen 9:1 motors blow up at 10 psi :). Also, remember a centri blower makes boost with RPM- so 10 psi on that blower will be at redline with most of your "useable" boost being in the 6-8 psi range or so. A turbo at 10 psi will hit 10 psi at max load and hold it until redline (unless the turbo is inefficient for your setup and drops off up top), which is a lot harder on things than 10 psi up top, after the peak load. Not saying turbos are harder on things or no good (I am a turbo guy at heart, so you'll never hear bad from my mouth about them :)), but saying that you can't base things on PSI when there are so many variables. I am willing to bet that with a good tune, proper fueling and meth, I can get away with 14ish or so up top, time will tell. I am running 12 psi now with a 6800 rpm limiter and am well maxing my fuel system, so I have to call it quits there for this year and do some fuel upgrades over the winter. I can live with ~650 whp with just a blower, alky and headers for now :). I'll see what the P1 is capable of next year once I get my fuel system up to snuff.
Joe

#7 ·
jcain said:
Well, with some minor tuning, i've got this 3.7 running nice and safe. Will try and jump on the dyno this weekend to tweak it out. Now instead of coming on real strong on the big end, it comes on at <3000 ;) ... can't wait to see what else i can squeeze out of the car.

No problem Jon hope it all works out!! You will love the lowend torque!!
Just dont break anything.

#8 ·
after hours and hours of tuning last night/this morning, the car is an absolute blast to drive now. mmm more boost

#9 ·
jcain said:

Are you doing the restrictor plate trick? (It sort of works on the street) but most take it off after they get beat by people with less power (been there done that).

#10 ·
yes. if i get beat by a car with less power, oh well. always someone faster. our thing out here is 40 and 60mph roll ons for 7/10 of a mile. car does much better and picked up 5+ mph

#11 ·
jcain said:
yes. if i get beat by a car with less power, oh well. always someone faster. our thing out here is 40 and 60mph roll ons for 7/10 of a mile. car does much better and picked up 5+ mph
Ahh yes, but then you will remember that the car will be faster without the restictor and you will take it off. Happens everytime somone tries it.

#12 ·
ha. but, i know if i take the plate out, i'll probly be spitting motor through the pipes. if it wasn't my DD, i'd try it :)

#13 ·
lsXfanatic said:
Ahh yes, but then you will remember that the car will be faster without the restictor and you will take it off. Happens everytime somone tries it.
I doubt if Jon will take it off since he has a lot more power under the curve now, his car hits boost pretty quick and pulls hard to redline car is a lot stronger than the last time I rode in it. I think the combo he has feels very powerful, I am certain he will possibly trim the restrictor to give it a little more hit up top. But due to the type of runs that are made here we hold it WFO for quite a while damn near 17 to 22 seconds in all the upper speed and gear ranges. Lots of load and drag so a unrestricted supercharger could most certainly overboost and damage engine. Plus the other benefit is belt life will be improved since in the upper rpms less air is being compressed so the load on the belt stays almost constant.

Les

#14 ·
wfo = wide fvvckin open

this whole ordeal out here is a balls to the walls thing for more than ~13secs. the cars get humped well into the top of 5th and sometimes 6th. power under the curve + traction wins out here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.