LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I just love to tune cars
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to drop the front cradle to do my sway bar install, but the exhaust header uppipes from my turbo kit sit right above the frame rails. This means the engine can't really be allowed to drop any significant amount (perhaps 1cm). I could take the headers off, but that is a pain.

If I took off the nuts for the engine mounts, could I put an adjustable stand under the oil pan (with a block of wood of course), and lower the cradle while keeping the engine in place?

Anything obviously wrong with this plan? I would have to look to see if there are any lines from the engine tied to the cradle.. and of course the PS lines have to be moved.

Jeff

·
dum dum dum dum dudum
6,217 Posts
I supported the engine where it meets the bellhousing so as not to put all that pressure on a pan. Plus the jack won't be in the way.

·
I just love to tune cars
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I supported the engine where it meets the bellhousing so as not to put all that pressure on a pan. Plus the jack won't be in the way.
Ok.. That makes sense. Any other fasteners/lines from the engine/tranny that are hooked to the cradle that I need to watch out for?

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

·
dum dum dum dum dudum
6,217 Posts
The power steering lines are bolted to the cradle. I think there are two spots where it runs across.

·
GR-RRR!
5,523 Posts
The power steering lines have to be disconnected to get the sway bar out and back in anyway.

·
Registered
429 Posts
rubber hose going to the power steering line on the driver side will need to be unhooked at the clamp, both front hose will need to be removed going to power steering cooler. 8mm bolt/screw in the back on the passenger side. be careful when lowering the cradle those lines get stuck. I cant remember without seeing it but the 2 bolts that hold the lines on the front of the oil pan may need to be removed. it might clear with them hooked.

·
I just love to tune cars
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dropped the cradle tonight, and used a stand to hold the engine in place. Worked great.

Pictures:

I used 4 threaded rods with bolts and washers to hold up the cradle. The red line on the threads marks the length of the stock bolt.

I marked the cradle in 8 places relative to the frame. I also drilled two small pilot holes in the back cradle plate for a set of alignment pins.

I used two stands, one to hold the engine up, and one to lower the cradle.

One of the power steering lines was already moved and replaced with a soft line when I did the turbo kit. I'll replace the other one with a soft line as well.

Oh, and here area few pictures of the header/uppipe:

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Noobie
446 Posts
I dropped the cradle tonight, and used a stand to hold the engine in place. Worked great.

Pictures:

I used 4 threaded rods with bolts and washers to hold up the cradle. The red line on the threads marks the length of the stock bolt.

I marked the cradle in 8 places relative to the frame. I also drilled two small pilot holes in the back cradle plate for a set of alignment pins.

Genius solution...what size threaded rod did you use?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
I just love to tune cars
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Genius solution...what size threaded rod did you use?
The factory bolts are M12x1.5. I used threaded rod from McMaster Carr:

Metric B7 Alloy Steel Fine Thread Rod, M12 Size, 300MM Length, 1.50MM Pitch

http://www.mcmaster.com/#95245a115/=odqubr

Note from McMaster these are very expensive due to the alloy. You can certainly find a similar M12x1.50 rod for much much less elsewhere. It worked well especially if you need to leave it sitting for some extended period of time.

Jeff

·
Registered
645 Posts
great idea, I would not think for this application you would need the alloy, but it does not hurt to have the extra safety factor

·
I just love to tune cars
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
great idea, I would not think for this application you would need the alloy, but it does not hurt to have the extra safety factor
Absolutely, you do not need bolts of that strength. It was just easier for me to order as I was already ordering some other things from McMaster.

Of course now that I have them if anyone in the Portland areas needs to do a cradle drop let me know and you can borrow them!

Jeff

·
Registered
87 Posts
Absolutely, you do not need bolts of that strength. It was just easier for me to order as I was already ordering some other things from McMaster.

Of course now that I have them if anyone in the Portland areas needs to do a cradle drop let me know and you can borrow them!

Jeff
Dang I may be too far, I'm in Spokane. Gonna try to find the rods to drop my cradle when I get my new oil pan.

·
Registered
150 Posts
After dealing with the fiasco that is replacing the gto front sway bar, I absolutely love and appreciate the design on my 89 chebby pickup so much more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts