LS1GTO Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
@bo06gto If you remember, please get me the size of the hardware holding the carrier bearing in place? I have an OEM shaft to go in but no hardware but I'm too lazy to get the car on ramps again to check. :ROFLMAO:
Pm me your addy and I'll package it up and send it to you. Just pay shipping and it's all yours. 馃馃徑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Why take a chance on potentially being unhappy with vibrations and noise coming from the aluminum shaft when you can cry once for the carbon fiber driveshaft and not have ANY complaints? We did the carbon fiber when we installed the Magnum F T56 and we couldn't be happier.

If I could afford the cf ds I would. It's not in budget. There where a lot of mechanical things I needed to do and the car got a paint job and I still need to do the transmission also. There's just a lot of things that will take precedence over a CF ds. Maybe in the future but the stock ds is starting to vibrate at lower speeds so getting the DSS for under 700 dollars I think I did ok on it.

Registered
I truly like the CF one but its out of finacial range. I'm gonna do the DSS. It has the best reviews between DSS and Hinson. The Hinson tends to have fitment issues with the 04 GTOs. I truly can't wait to feel the difference.
I have the Hinson 1-pc aluminum. It was my Christmas gift to the GTO last year. I've been very happy with it (except the part where the Post Office lost it in MS for a month). I immediately noticed that the 'clunk' when backing out of the driveway and then shifting to 1st was gone immediately. Pretty happy about that.

Also, as far as seat belt bolts, I took them out and stacked 5-6 washers under the bolt head and put it back in. I didn't cut them, and I didn't leave them out.

If I remember right, this car is going to your son, so having a place for friends to ride -safely- (what teenagers don't like hauling their friends around?) would be important to me. I wouldn't remove the seat belts, even if you were removing the seat.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have the Hinson 1-pc aluminum. It was my Christmas gift to the GTO last year. I've been very happy with it (except the part where the Post Office lost it in MS for a month). I immediately noticed that the 'clunk' when backing out of the driveway and then shifting to 1st was gone immediately. Pretty happy about that.

Also, as far as seat belt bolts, I took them out and stacked 5-6 washers under the bolt head and put it back in. I didn't cut them, and I didn't leave them out.

If I remember right, this car is going to your son, so having a place for friends to ride -safely- (what teenagers don't like hauling their friends around?) would be important to me. I wouldn't remove the seat belts, even if you were removing the seat.
I was thinking of doing that after reading it on one of the post. The washers route and puting it back in.
This car his mother and I agreed he won't get it till he's 18. I know my kid and he won't be able to handle this car any time before that lol. He's got a lead foot like his old man. He still refers to my old C5 as the red rocket. 馃槀
But I talk to him all the time giving him advice, and hopefully when I'm long gone, much like my grandfather he will still be able to hear me in the back of his head when he's about to do something stupid telling him STOP lol.

Thank you for the advice 馃馃徑

Registered
I put a DSS 1000 hp aluminum shaft in mine about 6 months ago. Literally the first thing done to the car since the stock one was thrashed. It does clank a bit when the play in the rear end is taken up, but other than that there has been absolutely no downside. It's lighter, it doesn't vibrate in any way that I've ever noticed, and it's bombproof. I have no regrets whatsoever.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I put a DSS 1000 hp aluminum shaft in mine about 6 months ago. Literally the first thing done to the car since the stock one was thrashed. It does clank a bit when the play in the rear end is taken up, but other than that there has been absolutely no downside. It's lighter, it doesn't vibrate in any way that I've ever noticed, and it's bombproof. I have no regrets whatsoever.
Thanks for that first hand with the DSS. Mines coming in on Friday it'll be on by Satirday morning I really can't wait. 馃馃徑

21 - 29 of 29 Posts