LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Machine04
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I’ve just installed my new DSS 2-Piece Chromoly/Aluminum driveshaft, and when I hit speeds of around 50mph to 60mph there is an audible deep humming, followed by vibrations in the trans tunnel area.

I’ve went through the various troubleshooting methods:
- Made sure the trans and diff were aligned
- Moved the flange over one to each of the three bolts
- Checked engine/trans mount
- Had all of the wheels checked (balanced, etc)
However, the issues still persist. I’ve reinstalled my DSS one piece aluminum driveshaft, and when I reach those speeds there is no humming nor any vibrations. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to check next?

I contacted DSS via phone, and the first time I was told to fill out the online form. I've filled out their online request form... twice. It's been two weeks and I've yet to receive a reply. I've called numerous times since, but I'm unable to get through, and their mailbox is full. I'd like to send it in to have the balance checked on it, but I'm sure I'll need an RMA first.
Does anyone have an alternate means of contacting them?
Appreciate any input (regarding the subject matter or course :))

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
You've checked all the boxes of what things I would suggest to check/try. Last thing is having it re-balanced. One of the first driveshafts I bought was doing the same and I had a local place re-balance it and it was off quite a bit. They suspected it either made it out the door without being balanced, or something may happened in shipping? That was a 1-piece but Im sure it could happen to any driveshaft, although I bet its pretty rare.

·
Machine04
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You've checked all the boxes of what things I would suggest to check/try. Last thing is having it re-balanced. One of the first driveshafts I bought was doing the same and I had a local place re-balance it and it was off quite a bit. They suspected it either made it out the door without being balanced, or something may happened in shipping? That was a 1-piece but Im sure it could happen to any driveshaft, although I bet its pretty rare.
True. It happens every once and a while. With all I've checked, I hope this is the case.

Thanks! I'll reach out to him.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
I thought of this thread yesterday when I was watching the latest Cleetus video on YouTube. He said they were trying to get a hold of DSS for some axles but weren't having any luck so they called G-foprce instead. Apparently their customer service isn't the best lately.

·
2006GTO M6 dd-drag-roadcourse
1,464 Posts
Hmmm maybe you just got a bad one 😞. Sorry to hear that man! Never had any issues with mine

·
Registered
275 Posts
I spoke to kollar yesterday and he says he has to deal with warranties on the 2 piece more. I went CF with his recommendation.

Good luck!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've never had a problem with the DSS one piece. Over 100MPH no vibration in my car. Is there a reason you replaced it?

·
Machine04
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've never had a problem with the DSS one piece. Over 100MPH no vibration in my car. Is there a reason you replaced it?
Its on the car now, hopefully until the two-piece comes back. I'm replacing it because I tend to take it in the 130's more and more now. Especially considering I travel to Belgium and Germany more often now. When I get to around 130 mph, the vibration gets pretty unsettling.

·
Wol Gemut
3,235 Posts
I'm glad i read this thread. I'll make a note to steer clear of the drive shaft shop. This isnt the first i've heard of this.
to what do you refer? the vibration or the lackadaisical customer service? I have no interest in arguing nor do i have any personal interest in this, but lots of people (including me) LOVE their DSS driveshafts, i refer specifically to the cf one-piece.

as far as the cs, I have noticed something interesting. slow or somewhat seemingly casual cs can be due to a rotten company or it can be due to a company that has a tremendous product that people are beating down the door for, and they simply do not feel a need to go crazy over cs, even BEFORE the sale. This happened to me with two other excellent high end merchants who ultimately delivered tremendous products worth every cent, and to be honest, DSS themselves seemed rather casual when I had questions prior to sale, but the DS they delivered is an absolute work of engineering art. just something to ponder before you are so sure you do not want to buy from them. i agree, it is hard to know, which are the great ones, and which are not, sometimes.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm glad i read this thread. I'll make a note to steer clear of the drive shaft shop. This isnt the first i've heard of this.
to what do you refer? the vibration or the lackadaisical customer service? I have no interest in arguing nor do i have any personal interest in this, but lots of people (including me) LOVE their DSS driveshafts, i refer specifically to the cf one-piece.

as far as the cs, I have noticed something interesting. slow or somewhat seemingly casual cs can be due to a rotten company or it can be due to a company that has a tremendous product that people are beating down the door for, and they simply do not feel a need to go crazy over cs, even BEFORE the sale. This happened to me with two other excellent high end merchants who ultimately delivered tremendous products worth every cent, and to be honest, DSS themselves seemed rather casual when I had questions prior to sale, but the DS they delivered is an absolute work of engineering art. just something to ponder before you are so sure you do not want to buy from them. i agree, it is hard to know, which are the great ones, and which are not, sometimes.
I've never had any issues with mine and really love the one piece compared to the stock two piece. The stock drive shaft was sloppy after replacing subframe bushings. Just something to consider. I'm sure an aftermarket two piece is better. I will stick with the DSS one piece.

·
Registered
275 Posts

Also happy with my cf 1 piece. Ordered from kollar and had it in two days.
I've never had any issues with mine and really love the one piece compared to the stock two piece. The stock drive shaft was sloppy after replacing subframe bushings. Just something to consider. I'm sure an aftermarket two piece is better. I will stick with the DSS one piece.
My stock 2 piece had issues after the guibo and carrier bearing too

·
Machine04
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Whoa, Hopefully my contact request didn't give you that opinion. You'd be doing yourself a disservice avoiding them.

Im currently running their half-shafts, and one-piece while I'm waiting to see the status of the two-piece. Oh, and the critical speed for the one piece is around 130-135mph if I remember correctly. I touch north of those speeds quite often so thats the ONLY reason I'm switching to their two-piece.

·
Machine04
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, looks like my driveshaft will be shipped out Monday (yesterday) and in my possession next week. Hopefully the rebalancing did the trick.

·
Machine04
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just an update. I received the driveshaft last week, and installed it this past weekend. Took it up to around 140 and experienced no vibration :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts