LS1GTO.com Forums banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
MO POWA!
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Used another f body I had around to make a jig for the upper mounts, so I can make sure the angle and spacing is correct. Working on k member mounts currently and making sure the car is square on the k member. Difficult job by yourself to say the least

Attachments

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,021 Posts
Wow, beautiful welds and a cool build.

Go Big Red ;-)

·
MO POWA!
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

·
MO POWA!
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well k member is completely in. So stoked. Originally I was just going to drill

A hole through the top and bottom of the frame and call it good, tighten the bolt up and go. But, I thought maybe I should add some strength. So I tigged in a sleeve around each bolt, so that when I tighten the bolt down there is zero give between the top and bottom frame, and tigged a washer around each hole to spread out the load, as well as welded nuts to the bottom so it’s only one tool to remove like factory. Took a lot longer but I feel it done right now and am very confident in its structural strength this way. As soon as my chromoly rod comes in it’s time to start on the forward bars so I can get the struts mounts done.

Attachments

·
MO POWA!
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Bars tacked in and car sitting on its own again. Gotta add a couple small bars around the strut mounts to give it some strength and then it’s time to start stuffing in drivetrain

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
I like where this is going pretty trick setup!

·
MO POWA!
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thanks guys!!!

·
MO POWA!
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Front motor plate is mounted in the car, gotta drill the holes out to 7/16 and add two more, but called it a night. Got all the front bars welded in, added more bracing to the strut towers, now to build the trans mount and then I’ll add the mid plate. Coming along nicely! Now to notch the cowl so the intake can be set back and installed.

Attachments

·
MO POWA!
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Cold side done, pre compressor injector done, trans mount done, one side of the hot side completed, looking nasty.

Attachments

·
MO POWA!
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Made 2 catch cans, one for each valve cover with a 12an feed. Will mount them to my aluminum inner fenders. Bov welded on, valve cover done, etc

·
MO POWA!
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
So, little update here. Started my own business so things slowed up momentarily, but getting back to it now. Picked up a new stealth pro ratchet shifter that I’m going to set up with air shift for $100.

Been debating and debating on exhaust. Easiest would be right out the side fender , but the location where I’d have to do that I didn’t like it. So I came up with this, 5” exhaust all the way squared at the end and out the bumper. I think it looks good, it’s different, and it’s inconspicuous as I plan on street driving a lot.

Wheels. Sadly, due to financial stuff I’m going to abandone my dreams of $2500 wheels and go with these 15x12” with 4” bs wheels, and either 17x4.5 or 18x5 front runners, still thinking in that. I borrowed a set off my buddies f body to see how I liked them. His are a 15/15 combo.

·
MO POWA!
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Great progress. Sorry there are t more to watch this gto resurrection.
Thanks for posting.

Thanks man! Admittedly I figured people would be a little more interested in this, but most probably are just viewing and not commenting

·
My other car has wings
425 Posts
I'm definitely watching this project develop. It's watch and learn for me. Please keep the updates coming. It's a shame this new website architecture is hurting participation so much.

·
MO POWA!
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I'm definitely watching this project develop. It's watch and learn for me. Please keep the updates coming. It's a shame this new website architecture is hurting participation so much.

I plan on it! Yea the website changes make it very frustrating to say the least to post multiple pictures or even view what I want on the thread.

I’m currently at a stand still as I took my motor plate to be double o ringed and the guy is taking forever.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Well k member is completely in. So stoked. Originally I was just going to drill

A hole through the top and bottom of the frame and call it good, tighten the bolt up and go. But, I thought maybe I should add some strength. So I tigged in a sleeve around each bolt, so that when I tighten the bolt down there is zero give between the top and bottom frame, and tigged a washer around each hole to spread out the load, as well as welded nuts to the bottom so it’s only one tool to remove like factory. Took a lot longer but I feel it done right now and am very confident in its structural strength this way. As soon as my chromoly rod comes in it’s time to start on the forward bars so I can get the struts mounts done.

You do stuff like I do. I even welded nuts to my waste gate clamps so theres no wrench needed to hold the nut.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts