LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Rear Seat Delete Builder
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my GTO on wed. Do they come with synthetic oil or regular?

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
You should run the oil it comes with for the first few thousand miles or so. It helps promote a little wear which is necessary for quick break in of the engine. Or at the best, switch to semi-synthetic after about 1000 miles.

·
The Anti Dyno Racer
473 Posts
CSiJason said:
You should run the oil it comes with for the first few thousand miles or so. It helps promote a little wear which is necessary for quick break in of the engine. Or at the best, switch to semi-synthetic after about 1000 miles.
The rings on the LS1/LS6 motors have proven to seat better with conventional oil. Waiting to switch to synthetic until after they begin to wear in will give you the best performance and longest engine life.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I went 500, change w/ regular. 1500 total - change w/ regular. 3000 - change w/ regular. Then changed to mobil one at 6000. It's possible the early changes were a bit of waste of money - but I went with the old school breakin style.
Dan

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
If you do a search on this, this topic has been pretty well hashed over. LS1's are like any other motor and are generally fully broken in by 500 - 1,000 miles. However, they don't fully "loosen" up until 5-6k on the odometer. That's when I go to synthetic. Otherwise, up until that point, using a conventional "dino" oil allows for the best amount of break in and looseining up.

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
OK I gotta ask, I know its been beaten to death but the Corvettes come with Mobil 1 right? So does it really matter when you switch? I switched to Mobil 1 at 1500 Miles did I do it too soon? Am I worried? Nope.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
And I'll repeat again, Vette LS1's get "pre-run" before installation in the car. :)

Ours don't

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
No, but it is heat cycled enough to where they feel it sufficient for the switch to M1.

Whereas, Myself, from being around LS1's for 6 years have learned from experience and the fact that I'm anal retentive, I choose the method I choose. :D

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
radkon said:
OK I gotta ask, I know its been beaten to death but the Corvettes come with Mobil 1 right? So does it really matter when you switch? I switched to Mobil 1 at 1500 Miles did I do it too soon? Am I worried? Nope.
same here
500 miles = dyno
1500 miles = Moble 1

1 - 13 of 13 Posts