LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done some searches and come up with nothing. I see that people have put dvd players in there cars but no one really says where they got it or what it is. I would like to find some info out about a indash dvd player.

·
burnout silver star award :)
2,166 Posts
kenwood ddx-7017 ddx 7018 ddx 7019

i have the 7018 with the chim chim double din dash kit and it looks sweet :)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Bought mine (Kenwood DDX -7015) used on eBay for $700. Faceplate by Chim Chim, $100. Custom animated GTO screen by me, $14.99 . Expression on passenger's face: Priceless.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I have an extra one of Chim Chim's kits if you want one and don't want to wait.

I used an Eclipse 5435 for my install, absolutely love it and the faceplate kit makes them fit perfectly

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hershball,

as you see there are many models out there. Use Crutchfield, woofersetc and mainstreetaudio to get and idea of the different models and prices.

Main brands are Alpine, Kenwood, Eclipse, Pioneer. There are units that are double din like Mike's and there are units that are single din units where the screen slides out and then flips up like the Alpine D100 I have.

Most of these units play DVDs (only American region 2 though, darn it) and even DVD-Audio but not SACD. Of course, they all play CD and MP3. They can decode the Dolby digital and dts info on the DVD and downsample it to 2ch or 2.1ch. If you want 5.1 surround sound you need an extra processor.

Many have additional video outputs that you can use to show video on headrest screens for the back passengers. Many also have video inputs that can be used for navi or reaerview cameras.

The functions of the unit are usually accessed through the touchscreen and some extra hard buttons. Some units come with inputs for steering wheel control modules others need to use the universal PAC SWI-X module that works like a programmable remote control.

This type of DVD indash solution starts at around $450 or 500 and goes up to $2700 with built-in hard disk and navi.

If you have further questions, just ask.

Till

1 - 6 of 6 Posts