LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this is likely going to start a controversy but I feel I must post my truthful results from my Dyno runs. First run ever on a Dyno was with the Predator tune in.........

With Predator.......264hp
with Predator........270hp
Without Predator....287hp back to stock tune.

After seeing this I decided to stay awhile and spend the money to get my car tuned professionally.
I got at least 10 more Dyno pulls all averaged 280-290hp
The guy that tuned it was very good we went over some things and went for a streetability ride and I must say it feels so much better than the predator tune. One of the most significant things occured at the very end of the day, They use regular small house fans to cool the engine between runs and for the last Dyno pull they left the fan blowing on my intake........the results of that were 294hp...303tq.......
In conclusion the single most important thing I think we can do is get a very good functional intake to bring in colder air. My tuner did as much tweaking with the #'s as possible and the #1 difference in HP gains for the day was a small house fan blowing in air. The cost for a professional tune is roughly the same as the predator......and I must say I have a predator for sale now. Professional tuning is the only way to go. I got very personal service and all the changes I wanted, no speed limiter, Torque management is GONE, raised shift points, fan temps changed....etc.
I hope this will not be construed as sponsor bashing....I am only posting real results and Tiggerfan and Dmonty were there to witness it.

·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GTOdriver7 said:
so the predator actually took away power??? how is this possible.
i have no idea.....but I saw it first hand.

·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Old Goat said:
We're trying. More than a few of us are trying to figure this out without having the end result look like a deep water fording kit for a Humvee...

I know OG........keep on it and you might make a small fortune from a good setup

:hail: I know you can do it.

·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
541 Posts
Oh Geez...

I was just getting ready to buy a Predator. I'm just a poor non-mechanic out here reading and learning. The other seemingly-quite-reputable dyno reports that I have read have always showed at least a small increase; this other thread quoted +11HP on the dyno: (http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4246)

Now this thread, which I am also sure is reputable and had at least 2 witnesses known to us. My conclusion as a scientist at this point --pending many more results---has to be that the effect of the device tune is not statistically significant, otherwise you wouldn't have gotten a negative result. I don't know what the fan situation was with the other report. Now I am on hold, and as my Dad would say, "Hide and watch". Dern...

·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1stChildhood said:
I was just getting ready to buy a Predator. I'm just a poor non-mechanic out here reading and learning. The other seemingly-quite-reputable dyno reports that I have read have always showed at least a small increase; this other thread quoted +11HP on the dyno: (http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4246)

Now this thread, which I am also sure is reputable and had at least 2 witnesses known to us. My conclusion as a scientist at this point --pending many more results---has to be that the effect of the device tune is not statistically significant, otherwise you wouldn't have gotten a negative result. I don't know what the fan situation was with the other report. Now I am on hold, and as my Dad would say, "Hide and watch". Dern...
I am in a situation where I think I need to keep my personal opinions to mmyself as to avoid sponsor bashing......I only offered the #'s and will let you guys make conclusions....I can say I learned that a professional tune is far superior to anything else.....very personal hands on experience and customization for the same money. I was truly shocked at my results.

·
3,327 Posts
I do not consider this sponsor bashing at all. I am interested in this, and I am sure that others on this site are as well.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Charts

Did they by any chance, print out the results?

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I think what matters most is finding out what your car is doing. I am considerring a predator - but before I load any tunes into my car, I'm going to do a whole bunch of monitoring of where things are. Knowing your A/F ratios and timing vs. knock retard are a must before you do any tuning.
As to how you could lose power w/ the predator tune, I would assume the engine is right on the edge of having knock. The predator 'probably' advances the timing a bit - throwing the car into a knock situation. This caused the computer to pull more timing out than the predator put in - losing HP. Just a guess, but the most likely situation, I would say.
Dan

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
I know OG........keep on it and you might make a small fortune from a good setup

:hail: I know you can do it.
Thanks Buddy, Interesting results here. Kudos. Are you going back to check her again after the dust settles?

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
This thread brings up an interesting thought I've had - I have seen several mods out there that say "must be used with stock PCM tune". Now, Dblue, clearly you've got quite a few mods on the engine, even if they are simple. My question is - what effect do those have on the way the Predator does it's thing? Most importantly, the SLP MAF and CS pipe. The SLP MAF in particular says that it is for use with the stock tune only. This change is of course not taken into account by the Predator and thus could mess things up.

In other words, don't discount the thing yet. We need some non-modded save for the Predator vehicles dynoed to see what they are capable of. Maybe I need to find a dyno around here...

·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Old Goat said:
Did they by any chance, print out the results?
I have a printout of the non-predator results but I left the predator results at the shop....I was there over 7 hrs and the predator results were early in the day and the tuner guy was looking at them when he was customizing my new tune I forgot to get them back. I think Tiggerfan might be able to find them or maybe I can them to email it to me.

·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Old Goat said:
Thanks Buddy, Interesting results here. Kudos. Are you going back to check her again after the dust settles?

Yes I will be going back many times I am sure.......Being in a shop like that got me wanting many things........they had a 600hp supercharged vette....the sound was wonderful....I need more power!!!

·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
phobos512 said:
This thread brings up an interesting thought I've had - I have seen several mods out there that say "must be used with stock PCM tune". Now, Dblue, clearly you've got quite a few mods on the engine, even if they are simple. My question is - what effect do those have on the way the Predator does it's thing? Most importantly, the SLP MAF and CS pipe. The SLP MAF in particular says that it is for use with the stock tune only. This change is of course not taken into account by the Predator and thus could mess things up.

In other words, don't discount the thing yet. We need some non-modded save for the Predator vehicles dynoed to see what they are capable of. Maybe I need to find a dyno around here...
I agree phobos it could have been something between the slp maf and the predator fouling up something, I just dont know and I didnt have my factory maf with me.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Thinking on it...

I'd be one of many interested in seeing the charts. I remember that when Trooper applied the Predator tune, the car ran like gangbusters the first 1/8th at the strip, better than stock, but seemed to lose .59 seconds on the last half of the strip compared to the stock numbers. I am inclined to think Dan may have intuited the likely cause of the car laying down in 3rd gear, and it might also expalin the smaller peak number the Dyno shows. Way to go DanLS1! :)

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
I am tending to agree as well with that assessment OG. Here's a question - as only a recent inductee into the ranks of "car-guy", how exactly does knock occur? Is it related to fuel quality, IAT, humidity...? Anyone? Bueller?

·
DOG
626 Posts
1stChildhood said:

Lets be fair here. The predator does do a lot of other things that make the car more streetable such as the shift point tuning and everything.

Also, Dblblue has a Tbyrne MAF and a CAI, things which the predator aren't designed for handling.

·
Master of Youngrushhour
4,318 Posts
I think phobos512 may be right about the SLP Maf - I asked about the compatibility of the SLP Maf & Preditor the other day and was told that the Maf kicks up the timing by SSunset SS. This additional timing maybe pushing you over the edge. I PM'd James yesterday to see if this was an issue - soon as I find out I will post the answer. Probably just need James to adjust the tune.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4366

1 - 20 of 45 Posts