LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was my first and I enjoyed every minute.

Went to Performance Dyno in concord. I took 3 runs on the dyno but the first one was really bad so I only have the number for the second two. I'm expecting pictures soon but for now I thought I would list the numbers.

#1
Max Power = 297.5
Max Torque = 316.3
Max speed = 132.08

#2
Max Power = 298.93
Max Torque = 313.62
Max Speed = 132.08

Run conditions: 78 degrees

Pete was great. It was their first time with a GTO but not with a LS1. Both guys are Z06 guys. They enjoyed the car as much as I do. They put a laptop and monitored the car and some interesting notes about the CAI came out. We had the hood open and fans blowing on the car to circulate air. The IAT was at ~130. there is just too much hot air under the hood and around the engine. They strongly suggested I get the air from the front so I'm going to get the stock box around the filter somehow.

When I told them I was getting a Predator programmer they said to stop by. They have been using that on their cars and can do a tune on mine they said will boost my output more than the predator program. I will being going back.
:D
 

·
GTOholic
Joined
·
1,504 Posts
MLC, your observations about the CAI confirmed my own experiments. I have converted back to the stock box as well. As for a dyno tune, I sure wish we had one near Roanoke, VA. I'd really like to get my Goat on a dyno and see where I stand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FLORIT said:
MLC, your observations about the CAI confirmed my own experiments. I have converted back to the stock box as well. As for a dyno tune, I sure wish we had one near Roanoke, VA. I'd really like to get my Goat on a dyno and see where I stand.
When I described the intake tube being accordian style they thought it would be a mistake to put that back on. The best would be to get a box around the CAI.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,773 Posts
Nice #s Anyone know if ther is a dyno on the Milwaukee area?

DY Do you know of any?
 

·
Retired LEO meow
Joined
·
14,535 Posts
I was watching Horsepower Television today. They dynoed a 2003 Ford Cobra. 364 hp at the rear wheels stock. After the Hypertech power programmer was installed, 406 hp at the rear wheels. Not too shabby.
 

·
GTOholic
Joined
·
1,504 Posts
TprGTO said:
I was watching Horsepower Television today. They dynoed a 2003 Ford Cobra. 364 hp at the rear wheels stock. After the Hypertech power programmer was installed, 406 hp at the rear wheels. Not too shabby.
Was that the Mustang Cobra or the "Cobra Concept Car"? Must have been the Mustang. The "Cobra Concept" is even more wicked.
 

·
Lil Cosmos GTO
Joined
·
507 Posts
Hey, put a blower on the GTO and look at the numbers. The Cobra will pale in comparison. No big thing to get the high numbers, just how far u want to go to get there.
 

·
Admin
Joined
·
9,705 Posts
I only know of borchardt's....

I dont see where they "tuned" it... They just made dyno runs. The car would like to run more around 12.9-13.1 for the A/F, pretty much a full point above where you are at.

Cobra's with a pulley, intake, catback and really tuned ... not a crappy hypertech file will do in the 450's to the rear wheels.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,773 Posts
DevilYellow said:
I only know of borchardt's....

I dont see where they "tuned" it... They just made dyno runs. The car would like to run more around 12.9-13.1 for the A/F, pretty much a full point above where you are at.

Cobra's with a pulley, intake, catback and really tuned ... not a crappy hypertech file will do in the 450's to the rear wheels.

Daaaa!!! :slap: I forgot about Ken Borchardts on south 27th
Thanks DY for refreshing my fading memory :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So...
These guy's are Z06 guys and have been using the Predator for a while. For $100 they said they will dyno tune with my Predator and get me better numbers than the stock program. My Predator is on back order but when I get it in and the results I'll post it here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Car Dynoed, not dyno tuned

mlc said:
It was my first and I enjoyed every minute.

Went to Performance Dyno in concord. I took 3 runs on the dyno but the first one was really bad so I only have the number for the second two. I'm expecting pictures soon but for now I thought I would list the numbers.

#1
Max Power = 297.5
Max Torque = 316.3
Max speed = 132.08

#2
Max Power = 298.93
Max Torque = 313.62
Max Speed = 132.08

Run conditions: 78 degrees

Pete was great. It was their first time with a GTO but not with a LS1. Both guys are Z06 guys. They enjoyed the car as much as I do. They put a laptop and monitored the car and some interesting notes about the CAI came out. We had the hood open and fans blowing on the car to circulate air. The IAT was at ~130. there is just too much hot air under the hood and around the engine. They strongly suggested I get the air from the front so I'm going to get the stock box around the filter somehow.

When I told them I was getting a Predator programmer they said to stop by. They have been using that on their cars and can do a tune on mine they said will boost my output more than the predator program. I will being going back.
:D
I'm just being picky here, but really you just had your car dynoed.....not dyno tuned. I'm just pointing that out b/c I was so excited when I saw the title and I thought we were going to see what kind of gains you picked up from a tune. Then, I was kind of let down when I read this tread and realized you only had your car dynoed.

Now, when you go back and get these guys to dyno tune your car with the predator, then that would be considered a dyno tune and I'd love to see your results....

-JB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JBraider said:
I'm just being picky here, but really you just had your car dynoed.....not dyno tuned. I'm just pointing that out b/c I was so excited when I saw the title and I thought we were going to see what kind of gains you picked up from a tune. Then, I was kind of let down when I read this tread and realized you only had your car dynoed.

Now, when you go back and get these guys to dyno tune your car with the predator, then that would be considered a dyno tune and I'd love to see your results....

-JB
I hate it when I make mistakes, ..and I make a lot.

I'm waiting on the Predator to come in and I will get TUNED. Where the he!! is it mister postman?!?!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
mlc said:
I hate it when I make mistakes, ..and I make a lot.

I'm waiting on the Predator to come in and I will get TUNED. Where the he!! is it mister postman?!?!
mlc,

LOL!!!! No problem and I hope I didn't seem like I was being an ass or anything. Props go out to you for actually trying some of these mods on your car and then sharing your results with us.

Congrats on your solid dyno numbers and good luck with car....

-JB
 

·
Member #804
Joined
·
5,539 Posts
Holeshot said:
Nice #s Anyone know if ther is a dyno on the Milwaukee area?

DY Do you know of any?
Best place to go would be Speed Inc. In Schamburg IL they are LS1/6 specialists and have done alot of work on GTOs.
www.ls1speed.com
 

·
Sponsor
Joined
·
212 Posts
TprGTO said:
I was watching Horsepower Television today. They dynoed a 2003 Ford Cobra. 364 hp at the rear wheels stock. After the Hypertech power programmer was installed, 406 hp at the rear wheels. Not too shabby.
Yeah, definitely not bad at all. That is about the norm on an '03/'04 Cobra, generally 360 to 385 stock (weather plays a big roll here on the blown cars), and approx. another 50 to 30 rwhp and rwtq gained from custom tuning (I purposely typed the #'s like that due to the sloping effect of power gains from custom tuning a Cobra). My 1st '03 Cobra made 375 rwhp stock, and 385 by putting in a drop-in replacement K&N into the factory airbox. With a Magnaflow Catback and Catted X-Pipe it made 411 rwhp. My 2nd '03 Cobra (first one was destroyed, see here: BANANA SPLAT! ), after the same exhaust upgrade, a blower pulley change (from factory 3.65" to 2.8"), CAI, and my own custom tune, it made 464 rwhp (and a stump pulling 470+ rwtq).

However, as much as that Horsepower Television Cobra test mule gained power with the Hypertech (quite shocking), their programs for the Cobras and Lightnings are horrendous (much like they are for nearly every vehicle, lol)! Trust me, I get backup calibrations from vehicles all the time that have different tuning programs on them already when the owner buys them used. I could literally tell someone within a few seconds where that particular program came from, LOL!

Lil Cosmos GTO said:
Hey, put a blower on the GTO and look at the numbers. The Cobra will pale in comparison. No big thing to get the high numbers, just how far u want to go to get there.
Okay, so call me a lil biased (yes, I own a 700+ rwhp '03 Cobra [on pump 93], and over 800 rwhp with the juice [on pump 93 + 32oz of Torco; the stuff works!]), but prove to me that an LSx based GM will make the Cobra "pale in comparison" by just putting on a s/c? You can certainly even the score by putting a blower on the LS1, that's for sure, and even overthrow the mighty power of a decently upgraded '03/'04 Cobra. However, allow the Cobra to get as an efficient s/c (Stiegemeier factory ported Eaton, or the evil Kenne Bell or Whipple), that undoubtedly your LSx powered GM would get (Magnacharger, KB, ATI, Vortech, etc.), and then we have evened the score, or have the Cobra ahead again.

Tomorrow when I get in to my shop, I will give you a comparison between my customer and friend's s/c '02 Z06 that I dyno tuned, with a built engine, A&A Corvette ATI Procharger package, 60# injectors, full exhaust, etc., that makes 644 rwhp and I believe around 525 to 550 rwtq, versus a stock Cobra, and then versus a couple of Cobras with the usual mods to them (pulley, ported blower, exhaust, CAI). You'll see the s/c Z06 literally DESTROY them! MUHAHAHA!

Then I'm going to compare the s/c Z06 to two '04 Cobras, one with a Whipple 2.3, and another with a Kenne Bell 2.4. Both the Cobras have the stock long blocks (testament to the fact that Ford finally got something right, LMAO!), CAI, Catback, X-Pipe, and stock manifolds, 60# injectors, and a couple of other minor mods, one making 612 rwhp and 584 rwtq on pump 93, 655 rwhp and 675 rwtq on a 35 shot (pump 93 with 32oz of Torco added), and the other making 620+ rwhp and 635+ rwtq on blower online, and pump 93. I'll overlay the graphs and show you just how much they destroy the Z06 in the low end, in the mid range, and hang with it above 6k rpms.

Now, without getting into a fight here, because that is so not my style, the Vette has a nasty power to weight ratio in the upper rpms, therefore if you lined all of these beasts up side by side, you would see the Cobras (on just blower alone) walk out from the Vette from a dig, say all starting in 2nd gear, but you would then see the Vette catch them at the top of 4th gear, which proves the power to weight ratio and aerodymanic superiority of the Vette.

Lemme link everyone to a video of my boy with the Z06 racing that NASTY EVO that you all have most likely already heard of:

600+awhp EVO vs 644rwhp Z06
You can't right click and save as. You must instead just left click directly on the link, as it is in streaming media.

You'll see the Vette reigns supreme up top, but that lil EVO is a nasty mother down low (brake boosting has its advantages, lol). Next time Jim (the owner of the Vette) is gonna shift it higher (around 6600 to 6800 rpms, where he makes his peak power), instead of the lower 6200 to 6300 where he was shifting (watch his blue Raptor shift light). Oh, and, yes, that RX7 doing a burnout in the beginning has an LT1 stuffed under its hood. Even the import guys do it right, sometimes, hehe!

Here's another kickass video with some racing, playing, and some dyno footage from my shop:

Dyno runs and some racing
You can't right click and save as. You must instead just left click directly on the link, as it is in streaming media.

To see all the cool videos that our friend Kevin made, please click here:

SR VIDZ

mlc said:
So...
These guy's are Z06 guys and have been using the Predator for a while. For $100 they said they will dyno tune with my Predator and get me better numbers than the stock program. My Predator is on back order but when I get it in and the results I'll post it here.
For them to be able to actually and truly tune your vehicle with a Predator, they have to possess the DiabloSport ChipMaster Revolution tuning software. Without it all they can do is "modify" the canned factory defaulted tune on the Predator via the limited end-user options that it comes with. With it they could actually do anything and everything necessary to ensure a perfect calibration for both Closed and Open Loop. If they do not possess CMR, I would suggest that you do not spend your money. I hope I am not sounding crude, but I just want you to do what is best for you and your GTO.

Okay, I'm out for now. Everyone be safe, and enjoy the one car that I love very much: the kickass Goat!

Very Sincerely...
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top