LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else have this problem? is it characteristic of our cars, or a problem with mine? I mean, if I am rolling, even ever so slowly, as i apply the e-brake, i get a very loud CLUNK that can be felt as well as heard. I also tend to hear at least one of my rear brakes sticking when I travel; i notice particularly at low speeds if driving alongside another car, building/wall, or something that reflects the sound back at me. The dealers are all retarted in my area, I was going to try to maybe try pulling the rear calipers and cleaning + re-greasing the slide pins and hardware.

·
Registered
244 Posts
My Holden (same IRS) would "drag" after application (the noises you hear when driving). I would gently apply the hand brake while in reverse and it would re-seat.

I reported it to the dealer and they did fix it.

Mike

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
I think they use internally mounted shoes on these cars.I'm pretty sure but could be wrong.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Why would you guys use it when rolling? It's meant to clamp the vehicle to a stop, hence the term "Emergency brake" or "Parking brake". Not a "service" brake. I have yet to have a vehicle that doesn't grab like a mofo on engagement.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Why would you guys use it when rolling? It's meant to clamp the vehicle to a stop, hence the term "Emergency brake" or "Parking brake". Not a "service" brake. I have yet to have a vehicle that doesn't grab like a mofo on engagement.
ive only done it once or twice out of carelessness or being rushed. now i DONT do. :)

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
What was your hand searching for over there anyway? :D

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
We do..... :p

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you mean its not there to use when my foot gets tired?

seriously, i've never driven any car where the e-brake attacks like this one does...as long as other cars are doing it, i won't worry about, at least for now. i'm going to pull mine apart and see if everything looks ok anyway..

when i said i apply it rolling, i mean less than 1 or 2 mph, literally crawling..my driveway is a steep hill, and i have learned to roll into a e-brake stop, so i know that the e-brake is pulled enough to hold my car back...it seems to set better that way anyway, ie. i don't have to yank the thing as hard as if i were doing it for a stop - its just how i use my e-brake; not to be misunderstood as my yanking it while driving down the highway...although if i did, it still should not make a horrible CLUNK as it engages; it doesn't matter how easy you apply it, once it gets to a point, its just FULL ON it seems, BANG and it engages

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I've never used an e brake for anything other than parking the car. There may be somethin wrong but it seems to me like the e brake does exactly what it is supposed to do... stop the car in a hurry.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
It's a parking brake. The emergency will be if you pull on it at speed.

·
Registered
571 Posts
All of the cars I've driven in the past the ebrake activated progressively. With the GTO it's either on or off, no in between.

I lost a relay or solenoid, don't remember exactly, in my '88 turbo coupe and was able to use the ebrake like the normal brake if I applied it while I had the release lever pulled. With the GTO this isn't possible. Is the GTO ebrake electronicly activated?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
as far as i know, no, its not electrically activated - that is exactly the way i would describe it though, its on-off, like an electric brake on a trailer

·
Registered
301 Posts
Same as Mike,,, every car I've had you could lightly pull on the brake at speed and get a gentle progressive rear brake application. The GTO I test drove last week made a nice CLUNK and then clamped pretty hard, pretty suddenly (i did it going 5mph coasting to a stop in the dealer's lot).

When I'm acting a little goofy in my SVT Contour, I'll pull into my driveway, build up a lil speed, shift into neutral, then pull the parking brake a few clicks and exit the car, watching it glide to a smoothe stop. Impresses all the ladies, hahahahaaaa.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts