LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 54K on the goat and in the last 5K miles I've had to pull the e-brake higher and higher to engage it. Now I have to pull it up all the way and it still may not hold. Is it adjustable or do we have to replace the e-brake shoes??? Let me know . . .

·
Bye Bye Goat..It's Been Fun
3,934 Posts
Doc GTO said:
I have 54K on the goat and in the last 5K miles I've had to pull the e-brake higher and higher to engage it. Now I have to pull it up all the way and it still may not hold. Is it adjustable or do we have to replace the e-brake shoes??? Let me know . . .
Yes it is. Pull the rear rotor, and you will see the adjuster. Just like a regular drum brake.

·
Trapper
446 Posts
You can also make some adjustment inside the car at the lever. I looked this up at work this week, and you can see the adjuster nut on the end of the cable just by peeling back the cover.

The procedure says to loosen the nut completely, then pull up the lever five "clicks". With the lever in that position, tighten the nut to 22 in-lbs. If that still does not put the brakes on enough, then you have to adjust the rear shoes inside the park brake drums.

The 2005's have little rubber plugs that you take out and reach through to the adjuster with a long screw driver. You do not have to pull anything off but the rear wheel.

·
NASA Instructor, MW/GL Region
460 Posts
You don't have to pull the rotor. There are 2 rubber gromets in the rotor. Rotate the rotor so one of them is in the 6 o'clock position and remove the gromet. There is an adjuster wheel which you can rotate with a regular screwdriver to bring the e-brake shoes closer to the drum. Use silicone spray on the gromets to ease removal.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Back from the dead.

I need to adjust the e-brake. How do I adjust it?

Is it easy to adjust the e-brake handle in a 05?

I took off the rear wheel and the rubber plugs. I didnt see anything inside the whole that the plugscovered. What does the instruction mean to turn the rotor at 6 o'clock? Does the rubber plug have to be in the 6 o'clock position?

Also, which way to I turn(clockwise) to bring the ebrake closer to the drum?

Thanks.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I just adjusted the nut at the lever the other day and it worked like a champ. I was having to pull all the way up and it still wasn't catching. Something like 16 clicks. Made a few turns on the lever nut and I'm at around 10 now and its perfect, engages at 3/4 pull. Takes about 5 minutes to do if that.

Bill3508

·
05' CGM GTO
3,548 Posts
yep i just adjusted the nut when one of my buddies who works on cars says, man you need to tighten that up and im like yeh like i know how to do that, he says. move that flap around your ebrake and tighten the bolt with a ratchet. I never did no specific torque stuff, but he just said, turn it in little amounts til the ebrake responds the way you want it too. so i did and it worked great (obviously didnt push the limits of tightness, i got it were i was happy and left it there.) about 3/4 pull now. real easy, if it dont work, try the adjuster in the back they speak of.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
The parking brake is adjustable to three positions:
On, Off, and broken.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I just adjusted the nut at the lever the other day and it worked like a champ. I was having to pull all the way up and it still wasn't catching. Something like 16 clicks. Made a few turns on the lever nut and I'm at around 10 now and its perfect, engages at 3/4 pull. Takes about 5 minutes to do if that.

Bill3508

How do u adjust the nut at the lever? Do I need to take anything apart?

·
Registered
691 Posts
How do u adjust the nut at the lever? Do I need to take anything apart?
No, just pull back on the rubber part on the side of the shifter next to the console and adjust the top nut a few turns clockwise.

Bill3508

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
No, just pull back on the rubber part on the side of the shifter next to the console and adjust the top nut a few turns clockwise.

Bill3508
I think I found it. Its the 10mm nut correct?

I had to have the ebrake handle pulled up about half way to see the nut. Then I tightened the 10mm nut about 4-5 quarter turns.

·
Suffering Fools
15,298 Posts
Man when I looked in the manual it said there was whole bunch of stuff you had to pull off to get to that nut.

Sorry about that, twin.

·
You Cant Take The Sky From Me
958 Posts
i pulled the boot off the handle and moved the pass seat full back and tilt back. this allowed me to get at it pretty well. what a HUGE difference! one of the better free mods I've done to the car for sure!

·
05' CGM GTO
3,548 Posts
lol the manual also has tons of moronic information, i was actualy gandering threw it the other day (dont remember why) but its actualy pretty comical some of the stuff they tell ya

1 - 15 of 15 Posts