LS1GTO Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
I wonder what he'd taste like
307 Posts
:iagree: I had a F*** Taurus that was specifically set up for up to E-85. I ran it almost dry, then ran a tank of E-85 through it. I keep meticulous records of my MpG. I WAS getting 29 out of it. With the E-85, I got 20. For the price, the MpG loss just isn't worth it. Plus, you get ROBBED on your power. Alcohol only has roughly 85% of the chemical energy for combustion that gasoline has. You want a POWERFUL gasoline replacement? figure out how to convert the LSx computer to take hydrogen. There's a reason they fired Apollo missions using it instead of gas or alcohol.

·
Kinda Stock
6,247 Posts
You guys keep ranting about the MPG loss, but your missing the picture.

E85 is 105 octane, so comparing it to the price of 87 octane is worthless. It should be used as an alternative to 100 octane.

It should also be tuned for it, if you throw straight 100 octane in your car you will loose power also until its tuned properly.

E85 is about 3.70 in vegas, where 100 octane is 5.95 a gallon.

38% savings in cost, and only a 30% reduction in economy, for a race fuel?

Sign me up.

·
Administrator
20,415 Posts
:iagree: I had a F*** Taurus that was specifically set up for up to E-85. I ran it almost dry, then ran a tank of E-85 through it. I keep meticulous records of my MpG. I WAS getting 29 out of it. With the E-85, I got 20. For the price, the MpG loss just isn't worth it. Plus, you get ROBBED on your power. Alcohol only has roughly 85% of the chemical energy for combustion that gasoline has. You want a POWERFUL gasoline replacement? figure out how to convert the LSx computer to take hydrogen. There's a reason they fired Apollo missions using it instead of gas or alcohol.
Youre wrong about losing power. Alcohol has less energy per unit of mass compared to gasoline, but you burn more of it (richer AFR) and it becomes a wash. It actually should make more power if you tune for it, because it can handle alot more timing, which brings power and mileage up. For forced induction motors, ive seen 5-10% gains in power from both the timing and the coolest effect it has. Lower heat of vaporization. N/A motor gains are about half that, IF you tune it correctly.

Stop spreading bullshit please.

·
4,313 Posts
Come on Steel Chicken....you know these guys are right LOL.

HillOttfam:
Go to a NHRA event and ask the Top Alcohol dragster and Funny Car teams why they don't switch to 87 octane to make more power. Try explaining your theories to them as they laugh at you. Hell you'd save them a lot of money.....

·
Premium Member
11,135 Posts
wow. you are just full of fail. Not on your observed MPG, i cant dispute that, but everything else.

The computer doesnt need much to run H2. An injector system, and fuel system is the catch.

also, as ive said on here about 10 times, yeah, e85 has less BTU's per pound of fuel, but more BTU's per pound of air burned. you need to look at the big picture. Just like the debate i had with Nawk a while back, theres more to fuel selection that one property. its like my roommate back in college. Kept talking about this girl he was banging that had like 38FF boobage. Then i come home and theres Jaba The Hutt on my couch. Sure, she had huge boobs, but damn, that was a big girl.

And NASA uses H2+LOX over gas or Alch because of: Higher energy density, Lower freeze point, lower boil point, and will function with out OX.

·
You Cant Take The Sky From Me
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
put about 3.5 gal of 93 in today, and the CEL went away, just an update

·
Administrator
20,415 Posts
that just means your trims went below 25%, so it could still be very lean. get mostly gas in there before driving it hard.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
The people on here running E85 either are tuned for strictly E85, or have a flex fuel sensor and have been tuned to enable the sensor.

·
Administrator
20,415 Posts
WHATS IN YOUR HEAD IN YOUR HEAEAEAD ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE THREAD THREAD

Is a 12 year bump a record?

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
WHATS IN YOUR HEAD IN YOUR HEAEAEAD ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE THREAD THREAD

Is a 12 year bump a record?
Weird,
Actually had a notification in my email for the thread. which is why I replied.
weird as I hadn't been part of the thread before.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts