LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a guy were to upgrade fuel system and run hptuners could e85 be ran? I believe i want to try it. More octane and alot cheaper, I realize you use more but still works out cheaper. Thanks

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yes, it is possible to do so. You will need larger injectors as part of the fuel system upgrades. Unless you figure out how to run a fuel sensor like the new flex fuel trucks, you'll be stuck with either gas or E85, and have to load a tune to change back and forth. To run the fuel sensor, you're looking at customising the OS of the ECM. Check the boards at ls1tech, and hptuners for more info. As for a tuner. HPT rocks!

·
Administrator
20,433 Posts
just repeating whats been said
you need the fuel sensor gizmo, and an OS from a flex fuel vehicle

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
unless it's 20% cheaper than gas it's more expensive. that's the hit you'll take on mileage and that's after government subsidies. Consumer's Reports this month has a story on the myth of ethanol. I read another story about ethanol and the energy it takes to make the stuff only returns 25% more energy than what it took to make it. If all the corn grown in the united states was used for it it would only supply 10-12% of what we use. Then what would they sweeten Coke with :) . Unless you're getting knock, more octane doesn't do a thing for performance

·
Administrator
20,433 Posts
more BS about ethanol.
corn is about the most inefficent thing you can make it with.
the only reason its used as all because of the huge corn conglomerates.

many other crops get 3-5X the yield per acre...but no one ever hears anything about them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
As a member of farm bureau and farmer I like to weigh in on these threads. It is true that crops such as sugar cane are more efficent in the process, however do you realize the amount of capital it would take to changeover and raise sugar cane. Corn is being used because it can be turned into ethanol and the byproduct is animal feed which is win-win. It also uses up the surplus of corn that is grown every year. Ethanol does get less mpg and right now costs a lot more than gasoline. However, when the more plants are up and running closer to where it will be sold the price should drop to around $1.70 per gallon.

·
Administrator
20,433 Posts
I understand, I am just saying the whole "users more or barely makes more energy" argument is baseless. Did they count the leftover material to be used as feed in those studies like you mention? I doubt it.

And I suprised you brought up sugar cane. As a farmer I would thought you would know that cane doesn't grow well in the US, in the places were corn does...but other crops do, like sugar beets, which have an even higher yield for ethanol.

Im not slamming you, but the amount of disinformation out there is amazing, and people are so quick to dismiss something they really don't understand.

Right now, ethanol is a little too high to make it worth changing over...but with some effort, it could be made VERY competitive, and we could reduce our need on foriegn oil which is a huge economic and political bonus.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think you misunderstood I am very much for ethanol and i only brought up sugar cane because usually thats what all the uneducated people say we should raise but as you said it doesn't grow here well, good job you seem to know more than most. I was merely useing sugar cane as an example that no matter what other crop could be used it would cost more than it ever benefit to switch over all the machinery and storage systems to a new crop. Also, there is a scientist from Purdue University who has found a yeast that breaks down the entire corn plant and would make using corn as good as any other crop out there for ethanol. I must say I am very happy the way GM has been promoting it. Hope this clears up what I thought was clear in the first one. I am very excited that you want E85 in your Goat.

·
Administrator
20,433 Posts
absolutely.
Even if we decide as a nation to go the corn based route, id rather give my cash to a US farmer than some wanker in the middle east who will use my cash to plot ways to kill me.

·
please stand by...
1,025 Posts
svede1212 said:
unless it's 20% cheaper than gas it's more expensive. that's the hit you'll take on mileage and that's after government subsidies. Consumer's Reports this month has a story on the myth of ethanol. I read another story about ethanol and the energy it takes to make the stuff only returns 25% more energy than what it took to make it. If all the corn grown in the united states was used for it it would only supply 10-12% of what we use. Then what would they sweeten Coke with :) . Unless you're getting knock, more octane doesn't do a thing for performance

Then how is all of Brazil run on ethanol??

Also not mention current engines are not built optimally to use E85 which can make more horsepower than gas. Think more CR and Boost, plus a cooler burn.

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
I believe you also need to replace all fuel lines due to the corrosive nature of ethanol. so you need the following:

Fuel lines, sensors, injectors and a reprogramed ECM. Not easy or cheap but I guess it can be done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts