LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
'05 GTO Nationals - St. Louis
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....I'm mindin' my own bidness.... heading home from running a mundane chore when I have a little eagle talon come screaming up behind me. I look at my speedometer and I'm doing 47 in a 40. That's fast enough, and I'm winding down a little on my way home. I have to describe the road now... We're on a two-lane road that will take us to a series of seven S-turns. Severity of curve: 1=barely noticeable; 5=widow-maker
first - left, good bank, up hill (2)
second - right, slight bank, up hill (2)
third - right, good bank, down hill (4)
fourth - left, good bank, level (3)
fifth - right, slight bank, up hill (3)
sixth - right, no bank, level (2)
seventh - right, slight bank, decreasing radius, level (3)
I decide to leave the speed at 47 and see what happens. :gr_devil: We enter turn one, then two and the talon backs off to a car length. There's a short straight section before turn 3, so they get right on my bumper again. Entering turn three, I don't hit the brakes, but downshift to 2nd for some control. I wasn't able to watch the excitement in my rear view mirror, but when I looked back up, the Talon was scrambling to get back on our side of the road :eek2: , and had slowed down considerably. I looked at my speed; 45. By turn 7, the Talon has disappeared from my rear view mirror completely. They came puttering around turn 7 eventually. I figured they were still working on pulling the seat material out of their "rear orifice" and they were done. But nooooooo...... :eek2:
But that's a story for another time. Back to work for me.

·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanatos said:
Is this the same one that you told me on Friday? I promise I won't spoil the end.
Yep. Same one. This is what happened before the part I told ya. :)

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
This reminds me of the fun I've had on our winding, hilly mountain roads. I like taking those "15 MPH" turns at 40 and not really straining the tires.

Granted, there are many better handling cars. But the '04 GTO does pretty well considering its weight, dimensions, and relatively low cost. It certainly handles better than a "real" GTO.

Would anyone with more car knowledge car to compare the GTO to other rides? What cars do the GTO remind you of when hugging the inside of your favorite right-hander?

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
What road is this??

I miss St Louis county back roads, nothing like some little two laners twisting around some hills. This reminds me, next time I'm in town I'm going to have to take the car over by hwy 109 and take that little road down to the flats. YEEHAW!!!

·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Huntress said:
What road is this??

I miss St Louis county back roads, nothing like some little two laners twisting around some hills. This reminds me, next time I'm in town I'm going to have to take the car over by hwy 109 and take that little road down to the flats. YEEHAW!!!
The road is Old Jamestown. It's North of Florissant almost to the Missouri river. I get to drive it every day and it helps to have a car that handles. :)
Next time you come in town, let us know and we'll get a few goats together and go for a cruise!

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
FLORIT said:
This reminds me of the fun I've had on our winding, hilly mountain roads. I like taking those "15 MPH" turns at 40 and not really straining the tires.

Granted, there are many better handling cars. But the '04 GTO does pretty well considering its weight, dimensions, and relatively low cost. It certainly handles better than a "real" GTO.

Would anyone with more car knowledge car to compare the GTO to other rides? What cars do the GTO remind you of when hugging the inside of your favorite right-hander?
I've repeatedly posted about the attributes of the GTO vs, the F-Body.

Summary: The F-Body will turn in superior emperical data and does it with virtually no body roll or complaints from the chassis (providing you have tightened it up). However, it punishes the driver in the process and isn't as rewarding. This is one of those cars that wears you out in the long run trying to keep havoc under control as you have to "work" it.

The GTO will give up the maximum numbers to the F-Body, but is a fine instrument of carving. It rewards the driver and doesn't wear them out in the process. It doesn't make the driver have to "work" the vehicle.

Both are fun cars in their own unique way. The F-Body is a handful of entertainment in virtually any aspect almost as if it's adolescent in it's behaviors. It's a car that just wants to drive you. The GTO is a handful of entertainment in a relaxing way and is the car that just wants you to drive it.

·
BORN IN BKLYN NOW IN MN
248 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
I've repeatedly posted about the attributes of the GTO vs, the F-Body.

Summary: The F-Body will turn in superior emperical data and does it with virtually no body roll or complaints from the chassis (providing you have tightened it up). However, it punishes the driver in the process and isn't as rewarding. This is one of those cars that wears you out in the long run trying to keep havoc under control as you have to "work" it.

The GTO will give up the maximum numbers to the F-Body, but is a fine instrument of carving. It rewards the driver and doesn't wear them out in the process. It doesn't make the driver have to "work" the vehicle.

Both are fun cars in their own unique way. The F-Body is a handful of entertainment in virtually any aspect almost as if it's adolescent in it's behaviors. It's a car that just wants to drive you. The GTO is a handful of entertainment in a relaxing way and is the car that just wants you to drive it.
My thoughts exactly!!!!
I owned a 2002 Z28 lightly modded before selling it for the goat.

·
The Ghost & the Darkness
2,273 Posts
Huntress said:
What road is this??

I miss the roads down by Fenton (south St Louis) and High Ridge. MM out of House Springs was laid out by a snake. I do my testing in SoCal on Highway 18 out of Big Bear going into Lucerne Valley. Hair pin turns at 40-45 mph! :cool:

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Merdin said:
So....I'm mindin' my own bidness.... heading home from running a mundane chore when I have a little eagle talon come screaming up behind me. I look at my speedometer and I'm doing 47 in a 40. That's fast enough, and I'm winding down a little on my way home. I have to describe the road now... We're on a two-lane road that will take us to a series of seven S-turns. Severity of curve: 1=barely noticeable; 5=widow-maker
first - left, good bank, up hill (2)
second - right, slight bank, up hill (2)
third - right, good bank, down hill (4)
fourth - left, good bank, level (3)
fifth - right, slight bank, up hill (3)
sixth - right, no bank, level (2)
seventh - right, slight bank, decreasing radius, level (3)
I decide to leave the speed at 47 and see what happens. :gr_devil: We enter turn one, then two and the talon backs off to a car length. There's a short straight section before turn 3, so they get right on my bumper again. Entering turn three, I don't hit the brakes, but downshift to 2nd for some control. I wasn't able to watch the excitement in my rear view mirror, but when I looked back up, the Talon was scrambling to get back on our side of the road :eek2: , and had slowed down considerably. I looked at my speed; 45. By turn 7, the Talon has disappeared from my rear view mirror completely. They came puttering around turn 7 eventually. I figured they were still working on pulling the seat material out of their "rear orifice" and they were done. But nooooooo...... :eek2:
But that's a story for another time. Back to work for me.
cool story sounds like it was fun!!

·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
redgtosamurai said:
I miss the roads down by Fenton (south St Louis) and High Ridge. MM out of House Springs was laid out by a snake. I do my testing in SoCal on Highway 18 out of Big Bear going into Lucerne Valley. Hair pin turns at 40-45 mph! :cool:
I'm an outside salesman and my territory is central and southern Missouri. there are lots back ways that I'll take just to have an excuse to hit some curvies. :)
That almost back-fired on me one day when coming around a turn in my stealth and seeing a mobile home across the road in front of me. I came to a screaching halt right next to the guy with the flag. He didn't seem to understand my suggestion that he might want to move around the corner to warn people.... He said (with a smile) that I was the third person to do that. :banghead:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Merdin said:
That almost back-fired on me one day when coming around a turn in my stealth and seeing a mobile home across the road in front of me. I came to a screaching halt right next to the guy with the flag. He didn't seem to understand my suggestion that he might want to move around the corner to warn people.... He said (with a smile) that I was the third person to do that. :banghead:
Sounds like he wants to run for the Darwin awards.
:drink::drink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts