LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some direction on chasing down an issue that I've been dealing with for a while now.

2004 LS1 stock
Battery is being drained within a matter of hours, if not sooner. Had it checked, and the battery itself is fine.
Alternator was replaced prior to this issue, however with a Duralast unit, not OEM.
To circumvent the issue since it's my daily, I have a quick-disconnect negative terminal.
Even with this "bypass", I get a lot of corrosion buildup on the positive terminal.
I intend to have my alternator tested this week.

In the event that they claim the alternator is fine, any suggestions on what I should check into next?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Is the battery the same size as stock (capacity wise). I got my GTO with an undersized battery from the previous owner and it would crank like once or twice in a row, but not have enough juice for a third. Or if it sat for like a week it wouldn't crank. New battery does not do that, because it has more than enough juice.

·
GR-RRR!
4,720 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the battery the same size as stock (capacity wise). I got my GTO with an undersized battery from the previous owner and it would crank like once or twice in a row, but not have enough juice for a third. Or if it sat for like a week it wouldn't crank. New battery does not do that, because it has more than enough juice.
Same size as stock.

Any aftermarket electrical items like a new stereo or amplifier? They could be wired to constant hot.

Aside from that, do this: turn the car off and remove the key. Open the door. Can you still roll the windows up and down? If so, the BCM isn't cutting power properly. Also, check your BCM wires and be sure to read this: https://www.ls1gto.com/threads/check-your-body-control-module-bcm-wires-everybody.377773/#post-7060217
Nothing aftermarket yet. Want to sort this out before I do. Also, I fixed the BCM wires and replaced the BCM itself several years ago. Haven't had any issue out of it since.

·
GR-RRR!
4,720 Posts
Nothing aftermarket yet. Want to sort this out before I do. Also, I fixed the BCM wires and replaced the BCM itself several years ago. Haven't had any issue out of it since.
Could be the ignition switch isn't closing properly. You need to determine if the retained power is remaining on after the key is out and the doors are open.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could be the ignition switch isn't closing properly. You need to determine if the retained power is remaining on after the key is out and the doors are open.
I'll take a look at the ignition switch. And I don't think it is because all of my lights turn off once the key is out and the door is opened.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Trunk light has issues of failing and staying on. Also, duralast alternators are garbage. Be willing to bet it has a bad diode that is draining the battery. Disconnect the hot wire from the alternator and tape it up so it doesn't short out. Then let the car sit overnight and see if the battery dies. If not, get rid of the duralast garbage and buy an AC Delco.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts