LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys every hear of ED?

I've heard some grumbling about this company making some very good stuff.

http://www.edesignaudio.com

·
23 psi
510 Posts
Bob Dole does commercials about E.D.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Fast GTO said:
Any of you guys every hear of ED?
I've heard some grumbling about this company making some very good stuff.
http://www.edesignaudio.com
Only heard their sub and it sounded fine. Personally, I couldn't tell a difference between it an an Image Dynamics IDQ sub which is a thumbs up in my book. They do have a good rep for budget installs. They also sponser some independant shows in the west which is generally a good sign. I am east coast so haven't been any here. It is rumored that a well known manufactorer rebadges ED stuff as their own, but I have zero proof of that. Just a rumor, but if true would imply a superior product in that price range.

·
Registered
113 Posts
After snooping around, they have some pretty impressive stuff going on. Active online forums is a pretty big deal in my book. Few manufactorers do this since most stuff that goes there are complaints. They likely believe in their product to open it up for public discussion.

Three year warranty if you purchase direct from them with free shipping. Many manufacturers use the "must be installed by an authorized dealer" thus eliminating the online sales cost savings, but they seem to back their product.

Power handling is excellent on their components for that price range.

Some stuff I didn't like about the online forums was the reponses from a question Fast GTO posted comparing the Diamond to their speakers. First Diamond uses aluminum tweeters and ED uses silk dome. Aluminum tweeters are far brighter than silk dome (BTW brighter is not better). ED is going to put out a much softer sound than a Diamond generally speaking. One of the people there said that ED would be brighter and while possible pretty unlikely. He likely heard the Diamonds with a high freq attuenated signal. Second both Diamond and ED have nearly the same sensitivity (this is the number that determines loudness of a speaker) and similar power handling. So the ED are not going to be louder than the diamonds. There are always those who aren't informed running around on forums, but doesn't seem like anyone from ED stepped in to correct the fanboi comments.

For those interested here are the numbers for loudness:

At 91db sensitivity here is what you get when you apply wattage: 94db at 2watts, 97db at 4watts, 100db at 8watts, 103db at 16watts, 106db at 32watts, 109db at 64watts, 112db at 128watts, etc. Each 3db gain takes twice the power. This is at 1 meter. For each additional meter you are away from the speaker subtract 6db. Each 6db is a perceived doubling of the sound.

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You definantly know your stuff!

ED's components were made with help from CDT supposedly the crossovers the ED's use are the ones used in the HD line from CDT (or it was the CL 62's).

The guys who run ED quoted me this deal, eDi Component Set, Extra Mids, 2x NINe.2 (amps) = $680 Shipped.

straegen, do you think this is a good deal compared to paying $1000 for the same Diamond Audio gear?

From your comments I am gathering that ED makes some good components and that they will be fairly loud if I push them with 125 watts.

Can you give me your views on their Ov.2 line of subs.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Fast GTO said:
ED's components were made with help from CDT supposedly the crossovers the ED's use are the ones used in the HD line from CDT (or it was the CL 62's).

The guys who run ED quoted me this deal, eDi Component Set, Extra Mids, 2x NINe.2 (amps) = $680 Shipped.

straegen, do you think this is a good deal compared to paying $1000 for the same Diamond Audio gear?

From your comments I am gathering that ED makes some good components and that they will be fairly loud if I push them with 125 watts.
I really can't answer that since I haven't heard them. The other problem is they may be great, but you may not like them. They will be a serious upgrade to the current GTO system regardless and if that is all you are after these will at the very least do and could be excellent. I like their specs and the fact they warranty their product no matter who does the install. You should also take into consideration shops usually charge $10-$15 per item in addition to their usual installation fee.

Can you give me your views on their Ov.2 line of subs.
I heard the OV 10" ealier this year in the same install as a IDQ sub. It sounded just as good and hit just as hard. In a blind test, I couldn't tell them apart and I am a HUGE fan of Image Dynamic subs as are a lot of well known car audio guys. I also had a chance to hear their K series subs and they sound great as well. Didn't pound quite as hard as the OV, but was very tight and the power handling was far better.

Something to keep in mind is if you are going three amps you will likely need to do something with the stock alternator. I think the GTO comes with a 90amp and two of the 100x2 amps you are looking at can draw a little more than 90amps. Also, the 90amp rating is probably not the at idle rating (hopefully someone can chime in with this info). Two amps like this isn't a real problem since that is max draw and you won't be sucking max draw from them in most cases (99.99999% of the time you will be fine). Adding a third amp could push you into heavy headlight dimming and alternator blow out. Be careful on big subs as they generally consume a lot of power for that hard hit they deliver.

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any new opinions on this line?

·
howdy
479 Posts
image dynamics builds ED subs, that's why they sound similar and look similar ;)

ED's comps are made by CDT, but were not engineered by CDT, AFAIK...

ED has too many issues for my liking...they're always having something wrong that slows down their ship times and whatnot... Their sound deadening is okay, nothing special..

FastGTO, if you want some good comps, pick up a set of CDT euroframe carbon fiber cone's w/ the upgraded crossovers and 1" silk dome tweets... I got mine for $210....retails for $430... PM me if you wanna find out who i went through.. He's an authorized CDT dealer and you get FULL warranty from CDT on them...

Power handling is 150wrms per side..and they'll kick the shit out of the ED comps.

·
Banned
5,086 Posts
you can also pick up a set of diamond audio comps for 200 they are definately quality.i see to many problems with ed id just go with a few extra bucks on a brand that is reputable than save a few dollars and later be upset cause the guy down the street just bought his system from wal-mart and you cant tell the difference between the two.
spend the extra few bucks now in the long run youll be much happier u did

·
Got Zydrate?
2,450 Posts
straegen said:
Some stuff I didn't like about the online forums was the reponses from a question Fast GTO posted comparing the Diamond to their speakers. First Diamond uses aluminum tweeters and ED uses silk dome. Aluminum tweeters are far brighter than silk dome (BTW brighter is not better). ED is going to put out a much softer sound than a Diamond generally speaking.
FYI - Diamond Audio gives the user a choice between silk or aluminium for the tweeters.

www.diamondaudio.com

·
howdy
479 Posts
straegen -- quality sound is HIGHLY subjective.... some people love the sound of aluminum or titanium dome tweets, some love silk...

personally -- my ears are very sensitive to highs, so i prefer a silk dome tweet to give a softer high than metal dome tweets....

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've heard that the HEX series can be a little harsh?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts