LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
I understand the logic of comparing to other vehicles you can get, but that's not always as simple as it seems. First, I'll admit that GM did a horrible job of marketing this car. But, I think the fact that sales figures are so deplorable is proof enough that the car is overpriced.
I agree that Chevrolet has terrible marketing campaigns...their dealer network doesn't help them either.

·
Three Pedal Phantom
190 Posts
So it should be the same price as a loaded Nissan Maxima??

Yes.

The G8 GT was 35k and that's less than a loaded Maxima . Most people willing to drop nearly 50k on a sedan will not be looking at a Chevy. Cadillac yes but definitely not a Chevy.

People are stupid brand whores and the car is a tough sell at the price point. GM could have spent stupid cash marketing this car and it still wouldnt sell.

Don't get me wrong. I love this car and it was intended to be low volume but they really aren't selling for a number of reasons.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yes.

The G8 GT was 35k and that's less than a loaded Maxima . Most people willing to drop nearly 50k on a sedan will not be looking at a Chevy. Cadillac yes but definitely not a Chevy.

People are stupid brand whores and the car is a tough sell at the price point. GM could have spent stupid cash marketing this car and it still wouldnt sell.

Don't get me wrong. I love this car and it was intended to be low volume but they really aren't selling for a number of reasons.
G8 GT went out of production 7 years ago, prices have gone up in the time since was my point, that's all. I am not in line to buy one either, too heavy imho.

·
06 Cyclone GTO
3,494 Posts
I haven't checked recently, but I did see new ones (2014 model) in the Chicago market right around 40k earlier this year.
Down here in Miami the 2014s in Feb were in the high to mid 30s. :aus_flag:

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,023 Posts
For comparisons sake, 2014s are $35k to $38k all day long in the Maryland area.

2015s are going for ~$42k used, but I've seen dealers in PA and MD list brand new manual trans cars for the same price during the summer (test drove a black one, desperately wish I could have afforded it). As expected, those have all been purchased given that they fell under the 0% for 72 months promotions.

Blah blah blah GXPs were $42k and the SS is going for the same price in the Mid-Atlantic BECAUSE sales are terrible with a $47k MSRP. Bitching about price is stupid, if you could afford a GXP you can afford the SS.

Yes, a VF in G8 GT trim would be great but your only option is a Caprice.

·
06 Cyclone GTO
3,494 Posts
Blah blah blah GXPs were $42k and the SS is going for the same price in the Mid-Atlantic BECAUSE sales are terrible with a $47k MSRP. Bitching about price is stupid, if you could afford a GXP you can afford the SS.
Plus they sit on the lots for over a year in some cases. I love mine though!

:aus_flag:

·
B====D~~ ~~~ ( . Y . )
4,906 Posts
Definitely over priced, that said I think Holden has lost its way trying to do a luxury sedan. Concentrate on the performance component, it is not a competitor in the luxury sedan market and is not at the level of Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc. The SS has proven, Chevy is not a player in the luxury segment.
This.

Adding ventilated seats and a slow moving touch screen Nav to a G8 does not make you a German luxury competitor. It has plenty of modern doo dads, but they are still GM doo dads which are cheap and substandard. A Hi-Point and a Glock are both guns but...well....you know.

Less stupid doo dad focus could have brought this car down into better sales territory. People in America shopping for an LSx 4 door care more about the LSx than the ventilated seats.

The addition of vents to the hood on the 16s is disappointing too. Last ditch attempt to church it up with some buzz. I much prefer it sans vents, especially the gaudy fake fender variety.

Those hoping for a used one down the road at a good price.....

...... :lol: :lol:

Play they lottery instead.

·
06 Cyclone GTO
3,494 Posts
They should advertise the cars more or at all would probably be helpful. I mean look at this Ute video!

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,093 Posts
This.

Adding ventilated seats and a slow moving touch screen Nav to a G8 does not make you a German luxury competitor. It has plenty of modern doo dads, but they are still GM doo dads which are cheap and substandard. A Hi-Point and a Glock are both guns but...well....you know.

Less stupid doo dad focus could have brought this car down into better sales territory. People in America shopping for an LSx 4 door care more about the LSx than the ventilated seats.

The addition of vents to the hood on the 16s is disappointing too. Last ditch attempt to church it up with some buzz. I much prefer it sans vents, especially the gaudy fake fender variety.

Those hoping for a used one down the road at a good price.....

...... :lol: :lol:

Play they lottery instead.
Yeah, I might be in the market for a used one down the line.

This car could have easily competed with the Charger and been a true winner for GM since it has one option that the Dodge refuses to put in the Charger: a manual transmission. Smurf, they have an engine option to compete against every option available with the Charger:

3.6L V6 vs. 3.6L Pentastar
5.3L L83 vs. 5.7L Hemi
6.2L LT1 vs 6.4L Hemi
6.2L LT4 vs 6.2L Hellcat

But, you know, let's just make it a low volume vehicle, with only one option of fully loaded, and stick a $46,000 price tag to it. Yep. Gonna fly right off the lots. :rolleyes:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts