LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
I got nothin!!!
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok question should you be able to shift into reverse when going down the highway or anytime going overlike 10 miles per hour.... My GF accidentally did this while going down the highway....luckily she caught it before clutch fully engaged and rpm's skyrocketed. if she didnt catch it what would have happened????????????

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
changed the thread title round:)

·
Because race car
2,835 Posts
Take this directly to the dealer.

There is a reverse lockout solenoid that is supposed to prevent this.

I can't shift into reverse if my car is moving forward....at all!
Not 1mph.....has to be ZERO.

This is extremely dangerous and should be looked at imediately.

·
Bye Bye GTO
2,462 Posts
St.Mary said:
Take this directly to the dealer.

There is a reverse lockout solenoid that is supposed to prevent this.

I can't shift into reverse if my car is moving forward....at all!
Not 1mph.....has to be ZERO.

This is extremely dangerous and should be looked at imediately.
:mswerd:

·
Registered
673 Posts
I can't imagine this is really possible - it would lock the drivetrain up if the teeth stayed on the gears.

Edit: Probably hit an incorrect forward gear (3rd?)

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
we didn't just put a CAGS eliminator on our car did we??? The reason I ask is that the eliminator can be accidently plugged into the reverse lockout and that will cause the lockout to not work...

·
Still a communist state
12,479 Posts
gotzaGTO said:
we didn't just put a CAGS eliminator on our car did we??? The reason I ask is that the eliminator can be accidently plugged into the reverse lockout and that will cause the lockout to not work...
:shiner: :shiner:

·
I got nothin!!!
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No Sir!!!!!!! No mods to the car at all except for new muffs

·
hello officer...
447 Posts
maybe 3rd gear instead, even if u let the clutch out a little in reverse at speed would do serious damage, i can imagine.

·
WOT's Up Doc?
2,559 Posts
Something similar to this was covered many threads ago. I am by no means an expert by let me try to explain the gyst. No.....there is no time, lemme summ up. :)

There is virtually no way you can actually get it "into" reverse while the car is moving. Although I have heard stories, many, many years ago.

However! It has been discussed on this forum that the gate will allow you to "bump" reverse if you hit it hard enough. I can vouch for this. When I first got the GTO, a few times I was trying to slam 5th (I was such an idiot, why would you slam 5th?)and I actually tapped reverse.

Is that helpful?

·
ELESTOO
695 Posts
Putting in Reverse wouldn't skyrocket the RPM's... Only a forward gear. The rear wheels would lock up and serious grinding would occur.

·
Wanted: engine to match
161 Posts
Well I doubt she actually managed to actually get it into reverse at speed. I'm not sure what it would take considering I'd never try it on purpose. I have however when I first got the car (1st stick), I did shove the shifter all the way over to reverse a few times going for 5th. It did some light grinding and buzzing, but I would've had a hard time jamming it in even if I did want to destroy my tranny, rearend, and life. It made me wonder if the lockout was working. No I haven't tried to eliminate skip-shift.

·
Objects in mirror dont matter
3,777 Posts
Makes a neat sound doesn't it?

I did it a couple times when I first got the car while attempting to quickly hit 5th in a race. Nasty grind.
You can push right over the solonoid if you hit it hard enough....thank god reverse is not synchro'd....

·
Registered
309 Posts
If the rpm's climbed while letting out on the clutch she didn't put it in reverse. Think about it, it would drag the motor down and if you let the clutch completely out it'd try to run the motor backwards.

·
ELESTOO
695 Posts
Jon01 said:
If the rpm's climbed while letting out on the clutch she didn't put it in reverse. Think about it, it would drag the motor down and if you let the clutch completely out it'd try to run the motor backwards.
Exactly!

·
Destroyer of GTOs
1,968 Posts
Jon01 said:
Drivetrain backwards, the motor keeps spinning the same way.:drink:

I'm just giving you hard time:) :patriot:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts