LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Buckeye Goat
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is my first post on here in a looong time. Kinda forgot about forums with Facebook groups getting so popular. Anyways I've always put a lot of attention into my engine bay and love to show it off at local car shows. I just feel like its lacking something. Yeah, obviously a supercharger or something along those lines but let's be realistic not everybody can afford one lol. Id like to just clean it up some and make it look better. I need to get a set of billet fuel rails yet but can't decide on which kit to get & id love to get a nice set of valve covers and relocate the coils but I can't find anything that looks good. What're your thoughts? Heres what I'm working with.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey guys this is my first post on here in a looong time. Kinda forgot about forums with Facebook groups getting so popular. Anyways I've always put a lot of attention into my engine bay and love to show it off at local car shows. I just feel like its lacking something. Yeah, obviously a supercharger or something along those lines but let's be realistic not everybody can afford one lol. Id like to just clean it up some and make it look better. I need to get a set of billet fuel rails yet but can't decide on which kit to get & id love to get a nice set of valve covers and relocate the coils but I can't find anything that looks good. What're your thoughts? Heres what I'm working with.
View attachment 500337

View attachment 500338

View attachment 500339

View attachment 500340
Nice job looks great

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,054 Posts
Start by grabbing the below. Doesn’t function any better, but sure looks nicer:

·
GR-RRR!
4,724 Posts
The Holley valve covers do a nice job of getting rid of a lot of the bric-a-brac around the coils and as you can see can of course be painted to match whatever you want. They are a good solution to better valve covers without having to relocate the coils. The plug wires you already have will work too. Having the headers ceramic coated makes for a great visual improvement too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The Holley valve covers do a nice job of getting rid of a lot of the bric-a-brac around the coils and as you can see can of course be painted to match whatever you want. They are a good solution to better valve covers without having to relocate the coils. The plug wires you already have will work too. Having the headers ceramic coated makes for a great visual improvement too. View attachment 500343 View attachment 500344
Nice job

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Worthless reject member
38,043 Posts
The Holley valve covers do a nice job of getting rid of a lot of the bric-a-brac around the coils and as you can see can of course be painted to match whatever you want. They are a good solution to better valve covers without having to relocate the coils. The plug wires you already have will work too. Having the headers ceramic coated makes for a great visual improvement too. View attachment 500343 View attachment 500344
they do look nice.

i wish i could find the actual weight to see if it is worth the swap for me, though. i would imagine they can't weigh much more than stock and i could then delete my ICT brackets, but then again... i dunno. aftermarket peices have a weigh of weighing more.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ceramic coated headers really clean it up. Plus it probably helps some with engine compartment heat.

·
Registered
104 Posts
These look super nice!!! Now you got me thinking about getting a set...
Definitely better option than covers IMO. Covers just retain heat. I hate how it gets really hot in engine compartment on these cars. Anything that lowers the temperatures under the hood would have to be a good thing.

·
GR-RRR!
4,724 Posts
they do look nice.

i wish i could find the actual weight to see if it is worth the swap for me, though. i would imagine they can't weigh much more than stock and i could then delete my ICT brackets, but then again... i dunno. aftermarket peices have a weigh of weighing more.
I really doubt they weigh more than stock ones. They are the same depth and metal thickness. You lose the oil fill spout and coil brackets, has to be a net weight loss.

·
Is that FWD?
1,024 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
they do look nice.

Package weight for one set is 6 lbs. So probably around 2.5 lbs each cover. That doesn't sound like it would be any heavier than stock. Just guessing without knowing stock covers weight.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I really doubt they weigh more than stock ones. They are the same depth and metal thickness. You lose the oil fill spout and coil brackets, has to be a net weight loss.
Might seem like a dumb question but how do you fill up after a oil change? Pull a cover?

·
GR-RRR!
4,724 Posts
Might seem like a dumb question but how do you fill up after a oil change? Pull a cover?
The Holley covers still have an oil fill cap, I was stating that by removing the stock covers you are getting rid of the janky oil fill spout they have which is tall so they can clear the fuel rail covers.

·
Worthless reject member
38,043 Posts
Package weight for one set is 6 lbs. So probably around 2.5 lbs each cover. That doesn't sound like it would be any heavier than stock. Just guessing without knowing stock covers weight.
i may have to buy a pair and just see. if i could get away with cutting another lb or two and cleaning up the bay i would be happy.

problem is i would have to rig up another feed for my vacuum pump.

·
Buckeye Goat
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Those Holley valve covers look great on there. Did you paint or powder coat? On my blue set I just had some IBM paint mixed up from the local body shop and rattle canned it. Two years and it still looks good as new. Id prefer the look of the tall valve covers but I think longer plug wires will be needed and I really don't think its worth it considering the valve covers are already just shy of $200.
And as far as the ceramic coated headers I'm looking into that. I have a buddy who I believe can do it for me. He does a ton of custom cerakote & power coating for his dad's shop. A few years ago he did some cerakote work for my dirtbike and it turned out amazing so Ill be talking to him about the headers. Now my only concern about that is should I maybe just sell my current ones? I have Kooks 1 3/4" on the car now. Depending on the price of new vs having mine coated I was thinking of jumping up to 1 7/8" since I've been tossing around the idea of a 402 stroker in the next year or so.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts