LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you go with new headers, I think they have it already coated. It is way more cost effective to buy them that way.
Otherwise, I would recommend to go with Airborne Coating.
On header size, I am firm believer of smaller diameter up to 500 crank hp. Go bigger for sure if hp is over 550.

·
GR-RRR!
4,765 Posts
Nothubert: While I was dinking around with the new headers I had to pull one valve cover off for clearance to drop in the passenger side header. I compared it to a stocker and using the one-VC-in-one-hand-the-other-in-the-other-hand weight comparison method, I'd say the Holley covers weigh within a few ounces of the stock ones. But using the Holley covers you lose the coil brackets so overall there would be some weight savings. They also have a little bit more clearance in the corners which could be favorable for someone wanting to install aftermarket rockers. Though, they aren't any taller, so taller rockers like those that are adjustable probably wouldn't fit under the Holleys without a spacer.

·
Worthless reject member
38,158 Posts
Nothubert: While I was dinking around with the new headers I had to pull one valve cover off for clearance to drop in the passenger side header. I compared it to a stocker and using the one-VC-in-one-hand-the-other-in-the-other-hand weight comparison method, I'd say the Holley covers weigh within a few ounces of the stock ones. But using the Holley covers you lose the coil brackets so overall there would be some weight savings. They also have a little bit more clearance in the corners which could be favorable for someone wanting to install aftermarket rockers. Though, they aren't any taller, so taller rockers like those that are adjustable probably wouldn't fit under the Holleys without a spacer.
thanks for checking. (y)

now i just have to see if i can plumb my vac pump to it, lol.

·
GR-RRR!
4,765 Posts
thanks for checking. (y)

now i just have to see if i can plumb my vac pump to it, lol.
How big of a hole do you need? Both covers have a small line for the PCV and only one is used for that.

·
Worthless reject member
38,158 Posts
the adapter i have for the gzmotorsports pump basically fits into the oem oil fill neck in place of the oem oil fill cap. it has the pressure valve on it as well as the fragola fitting for the vacuum line to the pump.

so, i would have to basically replace that assembly somehow, or make it work.

·
GR-RRR!
4,765 Posts
Hmmmm. The Holley covers have a similar sized hole for the oil fill cap but they use a screw in cap instead of the insert-twist style used on the stock ones.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Those Holley valve covers look great on there. Did you paint or powder coat? On my blue set I just had some IBM paint mixed up from the local body shop and rattle canned it. Two years and it still looks good as new. Id prefer the look of the tall valve covers but I think longer plug wires will be needed and I really don't think its worth it considering the valve covers are already just shy of $200.
And as far as the ceramic coated headers I'm looking into that. I have a buddy who I believe can do it for me. He does a ton of custom cerakote & power coating for his dad's shop. A few years ago he did some cerakote work for my dirtbike and it turned out amazing so Ill be talking to him about the headers. Now my only concern about that is should I maybe just sell my current ones? I have Kooks 1 3/4" on the car now. Depending on the price of new vs having mine coated I was thinking of jumping up to 1 7/8" since I've been tossing around the idea of a 402 stroker in the next year or so.
I cerakoted mine. I wish I would have done black tho.

I only have one dressup item under my hood tho.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts