LS1GTO Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Wol Gemut
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
yes, as nothubert states, a little 6mm bolt there, I almost went for '1' but at the last minute switched to the 6mm. I would have gone for 3 but did not know that was an option until your post.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Gotcha. So long as it gives good continuity to the block, it'll work. When I was deciding what to use, I grabbed my meter and did some continuity checks to different bolts ... just to be sure.

·
Wol Gemut
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Gotcha. So long as it gives good continuity to the block, it'll work. When I was deciding what to use, I grabbed my meter and did some continuity checks to different bolts ... just to be sure.
well, very thankful you told me this Stoopalini. turns out the bolt I was going to use made the meter go crazy, so I switched to the one you used.

Another question for you good people who know what you are doing. I have a dual battery setup, I undid all the neagtive cables before I did anything. When I went to re-attach them, there was some sparking. Is it ok that this is happening or do I have something wrong?

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I upgraded my ground, I had BatteryCablesUSA make me a 'Y' cable from 2ga. One end has a 5/16" right angle terminal for the battery post, the middle has a straight 1/4" terminal for connecting to the body stud, and the other end has a straight 3/8" terminal for connecting to the block. This made it easy and clean to upgrade both grounds at once.

You can see how I routed it in this pic (the blue line). I terminated it on a starter AC compressor bolt.

View attachment 517009

View attachment 517010

Battery Cables USA makes great stuff, and ships quick at a flat rate.

To get a Y cable, you basically order two cables, and leave one end as "No connector". Then add a note telling them how to join the two to create a Y.

Here is what I ordered:

2 Gauge (2 AWG) Marine Grade Tinned Copper Battery Cable UL1426 Flexible with ends
Choose Color: Black
Length (hole to hole): 30 in
Choose Connector End #1: 1/4 inch (M6)
Choose Connector End #2: 5/16 inch (M8)

Product ID: BC2BK-30IN-14-56

2 Gauge (2 AWG) Marine Grade Tinned Copper Battery Cable UL1426 Flexible with ends
Length (hole to hole): 13 in
Choose Connector End #1: 3/8 inch (M10)
Choose Connector End #2: No Connector This Side

Product ID: BC2BK-13IN-38-NONE

and here was the note I added to the order:

Please make the 5/16" ring terminal on the 30" cable a 90 degree bent lug. These two cables are meant to be a 'Y' cable. The bare end of the 13" cable should be inserted into the 1/4" end of the 30" cable.

This ended up costing me $20.72 shipped
This looks great i have been looking for something like this to replace the old wires i have. Do you have the same information for the positive side so i can order the same. Thank you for the help

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Do you have the same information for the positive side so i can order the same. Thank you for the help
Sorry, I don't as I didn't upgrade the positive wires.

When I measured for the ground wires, I used a section of 1/4" vacuum hose and just routed it through the engine bay where I wanted the new wires to lay. Then I marked the hose where the wire end would be, and took it out of the engine bay and measured the length. You could do the same for the positive wire replacement if you wanted (y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry, I don't as I didn't upgrade the positive wires.

When I measured for the ground wires, I used a section of 1/4" vacuum hose and just routed it through the engine bay where I wanted the new wires to lay. Then I marked the hose where the wire end would be, and took it out of the engine bay and measured the length. You could do the same for the positive wire replacement if you wanted (y)
Thank you I will do that.

·
05' MBM with sunroof
142 Posts
When I upgraded my ground, I had BatteryCablesUSA make me a 'Y' cable from 2ga. One end has a 5/16" right angle terminal for the battery post, the middle has a straight 1/4" terminal for connecting to the body stud, and the other end has a straight 3/8" terminal for connecting to the block. This made it easy and clean to upgrade both grounds at once.

You can see how I routed it in this pic (the blue line). I terminated it on a starter AC compressor bolt.

View attachment 517009

View attachment 517010

Battery Cables USA makes great stuff, and ships quick at a flat rate.

To get a Y cable, you basically order two cables, and leave one end as "No connector". Then add a note telling them how to join the two to create a Y.

Here is what I ordered:

Length (hole to hole): 30 in
Choose Connector End #1: 1/4 inch (M6)
Choose Connector End #2: 5/16 inch (M8)

Product ID: BC2BK-30IN-14-56

Length (hole to hole): 13 in
Choose Connector End #1: 3/8 inch (M10)
Choose Connector End #2: No Connector This Side

Product ID: BC2BK-13IN-38-NONE

and here was the note I added to the order:

Please make the 5/16" ring terminal on the 30" cable a 90 degree bent lug. These two cables are meant to be a 'Y' cable. The bare end of the 13" cable should be inserted into the 1/4" end of the 30" cable.

This ended up costing me $20.72 shipped
Just ordered this as well. Relatively cheap and easy upgrade. Your a legend thanks for putting in the work and R/D

PS just in case anyone is as anal as me, AC bolt torque: 37 lbft

·
05' MBM with sunroof
142 Posts
Now all we need is your recommended alternator cable wire for the positive connection

·
05' MBM with sunroof
142 Posts
I am wokring on it
Awesome! For the price of an in-line fuse($10-15) i feel like a circuit breaker($15-20) would be more cost effective. Even though I double these will over current regularly

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
BatteryCablesUSA must be wondering what's going on to generate all these orders for this strange Y cable LOL!

Awesome! For the price of an in-line fuse($10-15) i feel like a circuit breaker($15-20) would be more cost effective. Even though I double these will over current regularly
From my research, the OEMs use a fusable link here (when there is protection at all in that wire) because it will often see significant spikes of current dependent on the type of alternator and the power demands at the moment. A fusable like is essentially just a smaller gauge wire which will burn through in a given location (where the link is located) rather than having the large cable catch on fire anywhere along the path.

The issue with a fuse or a circuit breaker is they don't have enough tolerance to allow for the high transient spikes in current and will blow/trip when there really is no issue.

For the setup in my car, I didn't see a need to increase the current handling from the alternator to the battery, so I didn't worry about upgrading the positive cable, and I haven't had any issues. I'm running a Helix V8 DSP/AMP combo (8x75w) and a NVX sub amp (2x250w), .... so, 1100w or so total .... and I have no problems cranking the system up.

I upgraded the ground because of how small they were, and I was experiencing weird battery charging issues from time to time. I often had the need to throw the battery charger on the car overnight because the battery was down into the 11's for charge. Ever since upgrading the grounds, I haven't had this issue anymore

·
05' MBM with sunroof
142 Posts
Wow they have a 1 day turn around time, super quick!!! very impressive. I work in the automotive industry and while this is a relatively simple order depending on their backlog shipping within 1 day is relatively rare.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Ya, they typically ship the same day, unless you place the order later in the day. I've ordered a lot from these guys, and it's always shipped same day for me; but I've placed my orders in the morning.

I also appreciate the fact they'll attach whatever ends you want on the cables for a couple of dollars, so I don't have to worry about crimping :) .... and, they have a flat rate shipping no matter the order size or your location.

Really a great company!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts