LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
GTOAA 04-06 Tech Advisor
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, what GREAT afternoon. As I was driving out of the driveway at work, I got the low gas beeping, and when I looked down, it said "Fuel Gauge Error" "Contact Dealer" and the fuel gage went to zreo. This was followed by "Service Error" "Contact Dealer" and the air bag light came on and the A/C quit blowing cold air. So I figured off to the dealer I go since it is about equal distance to home or the dealer. I got about 1 mile and the car shut off. So I pull over, called the dealer, they dispatch a flatbed, arrange for a rental. Pretty quick and painless. I try the ignition a few times, it will start and then die. I pushed set and mode and got the following engine code 11111011. So after sitting there for 15 min or so, I tried again, and this time it starts and stays running. I called the dealer, they canceled the tow and I proceeded there. And there she is, and I have a lovely Buick Century in my driveway. Looks like someone's grandmother is visiting.

So what is code 11111011?

I think something like this has happened before and I think it was something to do with the PCM or a bad ground? Not sure. But I told them to call the TAC.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
Have them check to see if the BCM harness is rubbing behind the glove box!!

This is a known problem and has a TSB. I think tommycap posted it a while back.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
bronko91 said:
...So what is code 11111011?...
Assuming that is a binary number, it converts to 0xFB (Hexadecimal) and 251 (Decimal). There is no DTC for number 251 (in the HP Tuners software) so it may be a combination of errors. Or it could be some DIC malfunction.

When you find out what the code means, if anything, let me know so I can cross-reference that code in the HP Tuner software. Thanks.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Helm's

FLORIT said:
Assuming that is a binary number, it converts to 0xFB (Hexadecimal) and 251 (Decimal). There is no DTC for number 251 (in the HP Tuners software) so it may be a combination of errors. Or it could be some DIC malfunction.

When you find out what the code means, if anything, let me know so I can cross-reference that code in the HP Tuner software. Thanks.
Want me to check the books?
:confused:
No DTC 251 in the Helms, maybe a processor address?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
FLORIT said:
...Or it could be some DIC malfunction...
I'm not even going to say anything.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
100 100 100 1 SOS...

Seriously, DTC U1001 through U1254 are set if the PCM and PIM are not communicating. The problems that can cause this to set are Poor connections / terminal tension at the PCM or poor connections at the PIM.

I'm thinking the U codes are the codes that can be displayed in the DIC, as near as I can figure from reading this stuff. It's written somewhat cryptically (go figure, something having to do with computers and no clear indication of how it should work!).
Dan

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I would sure have that "shorting out" thing investigated. That kind of stuff can have wildly unpredictable results.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Old Goat said:
Want me to check the books?
:confused:
No DTC 251 in the Helms, maybe a processor address?
DTC's would be listed as

P0251, U0251, C0251, and a few others. Are you sure there was no 0251 anywhere.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
DTC's would be listed as

P0251, U0251, C0251, and a few others. Are you sure there was no 0251 anywhere.
Got the list out again. Will go through it again, back in a few minutes.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Okay, DTC's all; 21-85 some numbers skipped, B3027, P0101 to P2610 some numbers skipped, no 0251, U1000 to U-1255 most numbers skipped, no CO numbers at all. Could it be DTC P1111 and P1101? If so, theres no P1101, but P1111...means the PCM detected an intermittent high Intake Air Temperature Sensor signal voltage. The DIC may display.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Malfunction

mistermike said:
I'm not even going to say anything.
Ba Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha......ROTFLMAO, PMP....I needed that. :D

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
bronko91 said:
ok, it appears there were two chaffed ground wires.....where?.....right behind the glove box! So I will pick up my car today and will be at PITP after all.

See I told you :p

·
GTOAA 04-06 Tech Advisor
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Holeshot said:

See I told you :p
Good Call. I just want it back.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
bronko91 said:
Good Call. I just want it back.

Make sure that they soldered and shrink tubed the repair.

When I worked for dealership we were told to get it done fast(shortcuts)
for warranty work.
So don't be afraid to ask them to see what they did!!

·
GTOAA 04-06 Tech Advisor
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Holeshot said:
Make sure that they soldered and shrink tubed the repair.

When I worked for dealership we were told to get it done fast(shortcuts)
for warranty work.
So don't be afraid to ask them to see what they did!!
Will do, thanks.
I know that they now listen to me when I bring it in, but they still have tried crap already. They replaced the shifter and screwed up the boot, and tried to play it off. There is yet another shifter on order (#4) this one is to come off the line before it was installed.

·
GTOAA 04-06 Tech Advisor
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello all, I am finally getting around to some stuff I have meant to get posted.

When I had this problem Holeshot was right on. Specifically, this is from my invoice:

"Cust states that while driving message center came up with fuel gage error and gage went to empty. Then a sevice error light came on along with air bag light and A/C stopped blowing cold air. A mile down the road it cut off, would only startfor a short time then cut off. Sat along side of raod for 15 minutes then it started and ran fine to here. Scan tested engine and body and chassis controls. All codes were in history, none current and car at this time runs fine and all functions operating prpoerly. Talked to Tech Assist and they gave three area where harness problems exist. Checked all problems areas and found harness from BCM rubbed through at glove box support. Other two area were ok. Red and Black circuit 800 and green and white wire curcuit 1061 were rubbed through to ground. Repaired harness and rerouted for clearance. Installed rubber insulator on glove box brace to avoid future problems. Cleared codes and road tested ok."

Just thought you might like to see the details.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts