LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maintenance is key of course... but how many miles can reasonably be expected from this engine with proper care? This engine has been around a long time, so we should have a good idea, right?

Define proper care too please... I am thinking, but do not know, that certain driving styles could effect this one way or the other.

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
I know guys in the F and Y car worlds that have near 200k on their motors and use Mobil 1 every 5-6k miles. Other than that they are pretty much maint. free.

I would however recommend:

Changing the Dex-Cool and plugs every 50k miles.
Replacing all other fluids like tranny, PS, brake and rear every two years or 30k miles which ever comes first.
Air filter as needed but around every 25k or so.

I have always been "hard" on my engines but never had a problem. Its the rest of the drive train that I have had some issues with like when I broke the left side output shaft in the Z06 launching it at the track one time and the fact that the Corvette clutch aint all it should be.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
The LS1

Pontiac/GMC feels so strongly that these engines will live, even if affected by the LS1 piston slap issue, that when I hammered them with my concern, they had no problem offerring me a doubled warranty on the engine in it's entirety, including gaskets, seals, timing gears and chain, belts and water pump and all internals parts out to May 2009 or 60,000 miles. They delivered the letter promptly and I am now so covered. :hail:

·
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Old Goat said:
Pontiac/GMC feels so strongly that these engines will live, even if affected by the LS1 piston slap issue, that when I hammered them with my concern, they had no problem offerring me a doubled warranty on the engine in it's entirety, including gaskets, seals, timing gears and chain, belts and water pump and all internals parts out to May 2009 or 60,000 miles. They delivered the letter promptly and I am now so covered. :hail:
Well well well.... looks like we should all have that.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
If it rattles....

Huntress said:
Well well well.... looks like we should all have that.
Mine was REALLY noisy on the first startup of the day with the 5W/30, as bad as the slap recording on the WebSite. It started just after the first oil change one morning at about 640 miles. It worsened rapidly until it achieved the current plateau where it sounds like a VW diesel at idle on the first start. If it sits for 2-3 hours, it'll do it again at about 50% volume for about half the normal morning startup time. I see the LS2 is going to get full floating piston pins to (IMHO) help or alleviate the problem. I complained long and loud to the CAC about expensive repair on the horizon, diminished re-sale, and lowered trade-in value, which they also assured me WILL NOT be an issue on trade at a Pontiac/GMC or any other GM dealer. If it is I am to call back for resolution.

·
Registered
392 Posts
My piston slap is at first start. It's been sitting say over night. It is not loud like a diesel as Old Goat's. Huntress how is your piston slap??? And did you change over to Mobil 1?? .. Cos

·
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
COSMO GUY said:
My piston slap is at first start. It's been sitting say over night. It is not loud like a diesel as Old Goat's. Huntress how is your piston slap??? And did you change over to Mobil 1?? .. Cos
I did change over to Mobil One at 3k... as for piston slap, I think I want someone other than me to tell me if the engine sound I here is slap or not.

·
3,327 Posts
Huntress said:
I did change over to Mobil One at 3k... as for piston slap, I think I want someone other than me to tell me if the engine sound I here is slap or not.
I hear you on that one. If it is piston slap I am hearing, I dont notice. Im more concerned listening to the sweet exaust note. :D

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
GEN III engines have an expected service life of 200,000 miles according to GM.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Old Goat said:
So I guess no engine mods for you :confused: :confused:

I haven't heard piston slap yet, but, I'm not sure if its because it isn't there or I just don't know what to listen for.

·
Registered Cruiser
77 Posts
GMH GTO said:
GEN III engines have an expected service life of 200,000 miles according to GM.
There is a Statesman (long-wheelbase Commodore variant) in Melbourne with over 300,000 miles on the odometer. It is used as a limo and serviced regularly. Only faults to date, two transmission rebuilds (both after 200,000 miles), power steering overhaul and a new alternator. It will be in service for another two years to come so who knows how many miles it'll hold on for.

Mick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts