GTOdriver7 said:
check, the edit made by jeff ;)
aye......missed that

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
speed_demon_freak said:
What about a trans cooler?
i thought that trans coolers were considered chunk.......

i remember readin on zzperformance that they aren't worth doing. can anyone give their expertise???

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
i remember readin on zzperformance that they aren't worth doing. can anyone give their expertise???
On the 4L60 and the LS1 I honestly don't know. On my auto-WRX it was useful - did 150+ 4100rpm stall launches at the track and never broke a thing, whereas my manual-friends were breaking things left and right. For trannies, it's all about the heat. A tranny cooler is a "just in case" and longevity mod. Of course, you've got to drive smart as well. IMO, but I'm no expert.

Padre

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
One of our vehicles at work is a 4WD Chevy 2500 set up for plowing. It has a cooler and a factory trans temp gauge. Someone at GM takes tranny cooling seriously. I'm surprised the LPE oil cooler doesn't appear to have a thermostat. Too-cold engine oil is not good either.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
All GM vehicles have the provision for trans temp. In the case of the trucks, the 2500HD's and 3500's (and I believe the Yukon's/Escalade's also get it) come from the get go with a trans temp gauge on the dash that 1500's and regular 2500's don't. However, one can plug and play a 2500HD/3500 gauge cluster into a 1500/2500 truck and the trans temp gauge will work as if it were there originally.

GM does this buy using one complete inclusive wiring harness to cut on costs of having 15 different versions.

The same has become true on the cars over the years too. If you run a scan tool on it, one selection in the transmission section should be "trans temp" which means that it is being read by the BCM/PCM.

·
fmr9c1dvr
18 Posts
Lpe Oil Cooler

They sure are proud of that oil cooler. I guess if you have money for a Vette then you have an extra $499 (not to include shipping) laying around...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts