LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never owned a car with a high-performance engine like the new GTO, so I want to make sure I do the right thing for my new car. (I used Mobil One in my 2 GTP Grand Prix's.)

What oil product(s) do you recomend for use in the LS-1 engine?

I originally planned to use Mobil One but someone recently mentioned a product called AMSOIL.

http://www.amsoil.com/

I appreciate any advice you can offer!

Thanks,

Bobp16

:cool:

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Amsoil is good stuff. A couple of my friends used it, were happy with it, but most switched back to Mobil 1 because Mobil 1 is much easier to get. Amsoil isn’t sold in every store. The difference in performance and or longevity won’t be noticeable. Especially if you follow normal routine maintance schedule.

On this engine though, I’d run the first 5-6k miles with a regular quality “dino” (non-synthetic) oil. After which, you can switch it to a full synthetic. The LS1 doesn’t seem to fully break in until it hits that 5-6k mile marker.

·
Now I gotta Goat!!!!
487 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:

On this engine though, I’d run the first 5-6k miles with a regular quality “dino” (non-synthetic) oil.
The LS1 isn't delivered with synthetic? I thought synthetic was specified in Corvettes.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
In the Vette's they are specifically, but the F-Body's they were not. I don't know about the GTO though. Since I do not see the oil cap with a "FACTORY FILL MOBIL 1" on it, that leads me to believe it's not.

·
Registered
259 Posts
engine break-in

What's the best way to break in this engine? Vary the speeds for the first 500miles or so, and then don't really hammer it until 5000? I hope not because it will be years until mine see's that kind of mileage.:eek:

·
Registered
227 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
In the Vette's they are specifically, but the F-Body's they were not. I don't know about the GTO though. Since I do not see the oil cap with a "FACTORY FILL MOBIL 1" on it, that leads me to believe it's not.
LS1 F cars were Mobil 1 factory fill in '01 and '02. They did put the Mobil 1 factory fill cap on the F cars.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mobil 1

Scott Settlemeir from GM posted on ls1.com sometime in 02 that Mobil 1 was used on F bodies from 9/01 on, but my 02 and all the many others I've seen didn't come with that Mobil 1 cap.

Joel

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I stand corrected then. I had to go get one of those caps and put Mobil 1 in myself. :(

·
Registered
227 Posts
I did a typo :( The F cars DIDN'T come with a Mobil 1 cap. My bad.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
LOL! Not to take anything away from Mobil 1, but I've surpassed 100,000 miles on many cars with simple old Valvoline! One currently sits in my driveway with GM's troublesome "X" motor and 121,000 miles on it. It still runs strong and per my last oil analysis, all is well.

It's not so much the oil that determines how long an engine lasts, it's how often you maintanance it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've been using Castrol Magnatec in mine since its first oil change, and haven't had a hint of oil problems :) I didn't baby the car during run in - just made sure the engine was up to operating temps before giving it any stick. 2 years old now, and its been 100% ...

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
speed_demon_fre said:
Can you mix Mobil 1 oil with regular oil?
I would never mix a synthetic with a conventional "dino" oil, but that's not to say it can't be done.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
In the airplanes we have in our manuals to not mix oils. There are components in each brand that when mixed with another brand can cause all kinds of problems including viscocity changes and corrosion. I don't know if that is true for cars.
:drink: :drink:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Gentlemen: I don't care how hard it is to get AMSOIL, just get it and use it.

AMSOIL vs MOBIL 1

Total Base Number (TBN) is the measurement of a lubricant’s reserve alkalinity. The higher a motor oil’s TBN, the more effective it is in handling contaminants and reducing the corrosive effects of acids for an extended period of time. AMSOIL 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil has a higher TBN (12.35) than Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30 Motor Oil (8.25).

The Four Ball Wear Test determines the wear protection properties of a lubricant by measuring the wear scars produced by four metal balls in sliding contact under the test parameters. The smaller the average wear scar, the better the wear protection provided by the lubricant. AMSOIL 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil completed the Four Ball Wear Test producing a smaller wear scar (0.40) than the Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30 Motor Oil (0.60).Total Base Number (TBN)

You do everything you can to protect what you love.

Things to come : August 7, 2003 Order date 2004 GTO Black/Red

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow, I sure am glad you guys that know what you're talking about are around. :) :)

-Larmo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts