LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After working with magnuson they gave me the latest tune and I put it on with LS1edit.

Aside from the false knock now reported by EFI due to the hood slapping the m/c its running great.

I may even change my cam tune to run the way magnuson does on these chargers and see if I can get more power out. The magnuson tech guys were great and went into a lot of detail on the tune with the hows, and whys. A very good thing to hear from the place I spent 6gs with :D Found out why I was getting so much knock, the shop that tuned it for me was WAY to low on the injector sizes which caused it to not burn all the fuel and thus caused detonation. Made lots of sense after he explained it to me. Also tuning by MAP and not TPS since its boosted was very kewl. Think I will have to pickup the boost gage from them to see exact whats going on now.

A little more cutting on the underside of the hood and it will be all done.

Also got my Chromed, Ported and Polished t\b from Scott Janzen - All I can say is WOW he does a great job. Not sure if its wishfull thinking on the t\b or its really doing that much better ported. I also have my ported and polished maf on it now. I will post up some pics after I wash her tomorrow.

It fly's now, just need to goto the dyno and see if I can squeek out a few more hp.. Then the strip, sure going to try for this week if I can.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Congrat's. As I suspected, some tuners are not particularly supercharger savvy. If I go Maggie, I'll start with their tune, and probably have it tweaked for the headers. Since you have EFILive, I would be VERY interested in the IAT numbers. Heat soak/city driving, light cruising at freeway speed, and especially how fast IAT climbs at WOT from a light cruise.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will look right now and see what they are. Funny you mentioned that, John from magnuson was talking about this happening and causing detonation alsol.

I will post the numbers in a minute.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just went through all of my EFI log files and the IAT is running from 120f at startup most of the time running in the 150f range with a high of 165f idle'ing after a long run. I posted them up on purplgto.com if you want to take a look. I compared them to my camaross runs. WOW SS runs a lot coolers, looks like the scoop does work :D May not be RAM AIR but it sure cools down the air.

EFI Logs with m/c

·
Registered
103 Posts
This was the final results for my hood on an M6 where the engine mounts are slightly higher than the A4. Most of the center frame metal needed to be removed. Looks finished with the heat sheild.

Looking forward to viewing your track times.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks nice. Same place on mine thats rubbing. I have to get a cutter tomorrow to do a better job. I took off the fire blanket completely. It was ugly anyway so I am just going to get the underside painted to match the color, but that all depends. If I can find a hood that has a good looking scoop that is open to the m/c. Kind of like how the mustang hoods are. That should also make it a lot cooler in the bay.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
kick_*ss said:
I just went through all of my EFI log files and the IAT is running from 120f at startup most of the time running in the 150f range with a high of 165f idle'ing after a long run. I posted them up on purplgto.com if you want to take a look. I compared them to my camaross runs. WOW SS runs a lot coolers, looks like the scoop does work :D May not be RAM AIR but it sure cools down the air.

EFI Logs with m/c
unfortunately I am getting the same kind of high heat, this is really killing our power.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wondering if getting Ceramic or JetHot Headers of any kind would help get some of that heat out of the bay. The only thing else I can think of is hood scoops or a CIA from the front.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Skid:

What kind of heat shield material did you use? Looks really finished. Having an auto I got by with a hammer job on the inside panel, and repainted, but would like a shield.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I insulated my air path and it helped. http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7421 Coated headers just buy you a little time. I plan to go with stainless and wrap them. Headers in general dump more heat into the engine bay. I really want to do the Autosport development louvered hood, if it becomes available, or have louvers cut into the stock hood.
With the IAT's your numbers don't look extremely off of N/A numbers with a typical heat soaked intake system. I guess what I was trying to ascertain is how high the S/C itself is cranking up the heat. To really get a handle on it would require several miles cruise with no boost (55 MPH/6th gear) to stabilize the intake temps, then stand on it and see where your IAT's go from there.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well I can't help with the 6th gear :( I have an a4.
But if you come up with something along the lines of the louvered hood would be great

·
Registered
103 Posts
JRM346 said:
Skid:

What kind of heat shield material did you use? Looks really finished. Having an auto I got by with a hammer job on the inside panel, and repainted, but would like a shield.
Its just wide self-adhesive insulation tape. You can have your local custom shop sell you some or this web site has it for sale in 2 inch widths.

http://www.mmrusa.com/HScfs.htm

·
Registered
593 Posts
Thanks for the insulation info. I have had my Magnuson on for about 3 months now. 2000 miles. Mileage about the same overall. Performance is right there all the time. I have to try hard to stay out of it. Hey, the GTO is one fine car and more hp, from whatever source, the car sucks it up and puts it down.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
kick_*ss said:
well I can't help with the 6th gear :( I have an a4.
But if you come up with something along the lines of the louvered hood would be great
I don't think it should matter much about the trans. A few miles at 55 in 4th should stabilize the IAT and ECT. You shouldn't be too far above ambient if the S/C is in bypass mode. When you jam it, you should see a rise pretty quickly. I noticed you said you were about 120 degrees at startup. That would almost have to be due to the supercharger. Assuming ambient is perhaps 80 degrees, that's a 40 degree rise. Not bad for a roots blower. I'm sure you NEVER get on it at startup. :gr_devil:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just went through the EFI live pids for temperature and there is ambien air temp, I will add that in and see how its doing.
The runs I did were pretty much like your asking for. I have to drive about 10 miles to get to a new wide open and empty stretch of highway with a lest a mile onramp so I can lay on it with WOT runs. Usually I stomp on it on the onramp up to ~100 slow down to normal speeds at 70-75 to the next offramp, turn and get back on and do the same thing again.
One of the log runs just showing it idling in my drive it was pretty hot 151f steady.

A different one is where I was just driving around 45-55, stopped to get gas were it sat at between 151 and 154. Then three runs on the highway where it dropped into the 140s. At the stop lights you can see it rising about 2 degrees f every minute.

Hate to think it but taking the SLP hood and chopping it so the "ram air" just blows air on the engine and allows hot air to escape while in traffic. Or like you said cutting in louvers.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hey kick *ss, could you cut and paste the IFR table, and what you did to the map. And actually just email it to me.

It would be really appreciated. Thanks

Jeff

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Temps will climb very fast stopped or idling. Before I did the insulation, I would have to drive 10-15 minutes on the freeway to get everything to settle down to a stable level. I tried to get ambient temp to work and had no luck. EFIlive has never been fully updated for the GTO, and the new version is coming slower than heck. :( As I understand it, it just freezes the IAT reading you get at a cold startup. You can get the same thing by just turning on the ignition without starting the engine and noting the IAT reading. Of course if the car has been running, or sitting in the hot sun, your reading will be way off.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jeff sent you email through here with my email address
[email protected]

Mistermike:
I can get the reading from sitting in my garage and begin reading before starting. To bad the gto isn't like the vettes and caddy's, they show the temps :(

Unfortunately I was just getting ready to go out and do some runs but we just had a downpour out of the blue here in Charlotte :( Going to have to wait about an hour for that to burn off. So now heat and humidity are kicking up already. Just can't win today. No biggy watching the gt40, c6 vette and now new stange shows on discovery channel.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like I have all the real knock out now, after going through the efi logs over and over I noticed it was knocking when showing it was in cell 22, but not at high enough RPMs. So I kicked the WOT hot table for the lower rpms to not kick in as fast if the MAP is at 85kpa. Think I had it so low that just starting out the MAP and TPS were high to allow PE and it was getting to much fuel. There has to be a program that will take a tune and evaluate stuff like this. SOMETHING that will simulate what the tune is and be able to see problems. Its all logic and exact numbers just knowing exactly what does what to what is all that is needed. It can't be that hard.

"LS1 Edit Dump of Table -- WOT Table Hot

Filename = C:\Program Files\Ls1_edit\rev2 from mc with hilo wot hot new.ls1
0 400 800 1200 1600 2000 2400 2800 3200 3600 4000 4400 4800 5200 5600 6000 6400 6800 7200
%TPS 75 75 75 75 75 75 75 65 65 65 50 50 50 50 50 50 50 50 50
"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts