LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the second time in the past week, the overspeed indicator and chime have deployed, the first time at 45 mph, today at 35 mph. I don't know if it's transmission-specific, but I have an M6. In each case, this has occurred after a "warm start," i.e., it didn't happen on the first leg of the day's travels. It happened after starting out again and upon reaching the "over" speed.

First time, I thought that I had inadvertely reset it when fiddling around with the programmer. I reset it for 65 mph. Today, however, I didn't touch the programmer.

Anybody have a similar experience? Or, can anyone enlighten me as to possible "operator errors" on my part?
:confused:

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
None but I think these cars a slight problem in the computer grounding and shielding area. There have been many threads on strange and erratic behavior with computer/controls. My problems have been with the radio controls on the steering wheel. They tend to re-map their functions. This is the first time I've read about the O speed indicator though.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
A grounding or shielding issue with a computer can have highly unpredictable consequences. Those pesky little electrons pretty much do what they want to do at random.

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Electrons

Electrons are like water. They seek the path of least resistance. Basically, what you said above. They go where they can, when they can.

I set the overspeed thing to 130. I was so surprised the first time it went off. It was set at 70 when I got the car and I did not know it was there. I had not read the owner's manual yet. I about jumped out of my seat when that chime bonged at me as I went past 70. Then it bonged again on the way down. It sounds like one of those things that could be helpful, but I'd prefer to not have it. So I set it as high as it would go.

Diggs

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
My overspeed warning was set to 130 from the factory. They must have known who was buying this car.

I had two strange "gauges gone wild" malfunctions during the first 500 miles, but nothing since. Each time it was fixed by turning off the car and restarting. With now over 5000 miles on the car, the electronics seem fine. (The steering wheel stereo controls are useless at night. They need to be illuminated. The brail encoding doesn't help me. I don't know how to read brail. And who's idea was THAT? How many blind people are going to be driving this car?)

Anyway, my overspeed indicator is now set to 80mph. It's annoying as hell, which means it is doing its job. If it "dings again" when the speed is going down, you may have your "underspeed" indicator enabled. By default the underspeed is off. You might want to check that in the menus.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
FLORIT said:
My overspeed warning was set to 130 from the factory. They must have known who was buying this car.

I had two strange "gauges gone wild" malfunctions during the first 500 miles, but nothing since. Each time it was fixed by turning off the car and restarting. With now over 5000 miles on the car, the electronics seem fine. (The steering wheel stereo controls are useless at night. They need to be illuminated. The brail encoding doesn't help me. I don't know how to read brail. And who's idea was THAT? How many blind people are going to be driving this car?)

Anyway, my overspeed indicator is now set to 80mph. It's annoying as hell, which means it is doing its job. If it "dings again" when the speed is going down, you may have your "underspeed" indicator enabled. By default the underspeed is off. You might want to check that in the menus.

It's not brail, just some bumps on the middle button to tell you your on the middle button. You should be able to figure it out from there. ...unless it's my car and there remapped again. :(

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Check the BCU cables

Folks, check the Body Control Unit cables up behind the glove box. Some were stretched too tight, making the connector pins make and unmake connection, some were rubbing against metal braces under there and cut through the insulation, and some had bad grounds. This is a known issue with the A4 cars, but I have taken to checking everything out that someone reports on either A4 or M6 that isn't specifically related to the transmission. A problem avoided is better than a problem solved...JMHO ;)

·
G3W
5 Posts
You guys dont get illuminated Steering wheel buttons there ? They are standard here, so im sure you could easily get them. Could always go to www.holden.com.au and send them and email to find out if they are available in the states.
They might not be to automotive regulations there though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Erratic OS etc etc...

I, too had a similar sitch with my PBM Goat. I shut off the O/Speed Indicator, but had several events where the speedo would jump from 40-50 to 160, then down to 0, then back to my actual speed. When this happened, the car was warm, but it didn't affect anything else. Turns out, that the IPC in mine was under the service bulleting for a faulty DIC computer in the cluster. Check w/your dealer, but the VIN break for this issue is something like 202xxx and below.

capra2d said:
For the second time in the past week, the overspeed indicator and chime have deployed, the first time at 45 mph, today at 35 mph. I don't know if it's transmission-specific, but I have an M6. In each case, this has occurred after a "warm start," i.e., it didn't happen on the first leg of the day's travels. It happened after starting out again and upon reaching the "over" speed.

First time, I thought that I had inadvertely reset it when fiddling around with the programmer. I reset it for 65 mph. Today, however, I didn't touch the programmer.

Anybody have a similar experience? Or, can anyone enlighten me as to possible "operator errors" on my part?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Me too

capra2d said:

I doubt it's anything you did. When I first got mine it also did that twice--I would turn it off, it came back on, once for 80 mph, once for 45 mph. I turned it off again and it hasn't been back in a couple weeks. No other gauge glitches at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts