LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Just Having Fun!
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently changed my stock 17's to 18" Drift-R's w/Toy T1R. Jus curious if ET have been gained or slowed changing to different size wheels. I haven't raced my car since switching to the 18's and do Toyo's provide good grip at the drag strip? I plan on doing no burnouts and lowering the tire pressure down to 20 lbs. I also have done no mods to the car.

·
Banned
868 Posts
I keep hearing that when you go to a bigger rim/tire you increase rotational mass thus making the car run slower. There was several members on the WRX Forum who went from 16 to 18's and lost nearly a half second. I don't know if that has something to do with the AWD or if it's even true.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I lost .3 when I went from a 16 to 17 inch setup on my old 1995 Formula (~ same diameter tire).

·
Banned
868 Posts
Smitty's05GTO said:
quite a bit faster..

it would just look funny with those big empty wheel wells. :)
right on! I also wonder if they put those 20's on ther for looks or for traction...maybe 17-18's would not give enough traction.

·
Semper Fi
4,857 Posts
i'm sure it would dramatically change the handling capabilities of the car with 17s, since it was designed for 20s.

I dont think it was to improve "traction" as a wider tire would do that.. not taller.

·
Just Having Fun!
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Smitty's05GTO said:
it would just look funny with those big empty wheel wells.
Just fill the wheel wells with more tire! :burnout:

I just wondering since I'm going from a 245/45/17 to 245/40/18, there will be even less tire flex than before.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I would think the 18's might make you loss some on the 60' due to less side wall. Even though the SRT-8 has 20's it's not riding on rubberband profiles. What is the profile on the tires and what times are you currently running?

·
Banned
868 Posts
Ls1Jeeper said:
wow I didnt notice +/- .04-.05 going from 16's to 17's on my z-28
well when your running 15's you don't notice a few tenths....just kidding btw...

·
Registered
770 Posts
Chi-Town Goat said:
wonder how much faster the SRT/8 would run with some 17's or 18's on her...
I think the reason why the SRT-8 rides on 20"s is to clear the huge factory brembo brakes otherwise that car would fly with some smaller diameter wheels and drag radials.

To answer your question. Yes you will lose a few tenths going moving up to 18"s vs 17"s even given the same weight and diameter as a 17".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts