LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

When i got into the Goat this morning to take if for a spin i noticed the Check Engine Light would not shut off. :-( I ran a diagnostic check on the predator and returned 1 fault.

Fault:
P0455 EVAP Control System (gross leak), Leak Detected.

Can someone explain to me what this means?

Thanks,
Brandon

·
O-TOWN Track Coordinator
161 Posts
chk gas cap

·
Ka-Boom!
1,987 Posts
+1 gas cap

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EVAP Control System Problem Continued....

Hi Guys,

I checked my gas cap and made sure it was on tight and reset the computer with my predator...

BUT..i'm still having problems because the check engine light came on again and after i ran the diagnostic again it's showing Trouble Code: P0455 EVAP Control System: Leak Detected..

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Brandon

·
Old Guys Rule
3,076 Posts
Evap System

Not sure if this will help, or if you already have the info. the other "testing" called out in the manual required specialized test equipment. If you can't find anything with just this overview, take it in....should be under warranty unless you have changed something in the system.

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,491 Posts
If it's not the gas cap (and it still could be even if it's on tight, it might not be sealing properly), there is a leak someplace else in the evaporative emission system. This could be in the filler neck, one of the hoses between the tank, canister and various vent/purge valves, one of the actual valves, or the tank itself.
As said in the previous post some specialized equipment may be required to find the leak if it isn't something obviously disconnected or damaged, and it should be a warranty repair.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey,

Thanks guys I will get this checked out at the dealer. It would probably be necessary to put the stock tune back in the car before I go correct?

2004 GTO Mods:
Predator Custom Tune
Borla Cat-Back
160 Thermostat
K&N Cold Air Kit

·
smurfin' fly-by...
1,482 Posts
With those mods it wouldn't hurt to put the stock tune back in just for the warranty work; avoid any possible hassle or if they decide to upgrade the firmware for some reason.

·
What's the speed of dark?
32 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old post,but Im having the same problem,only mine started after replacing the water pump. Heres the story had coolant pouring out all over the ground. Knew exactly what it was from reading on the forum. Anyways did what a previous member did and put little dots all over the pump. Thing is when I got it back it didnt leak a drop,but the marks where still there.
Upon reading the service sheet they stated that they changed the pump,but only looks like they changed the metal gasket.Since then the check engine light comes on and off untill recently when it just stays on cleard the code as stated above,but still pops up. Car is starting to have a miss in it now.
Checked it one last time and now it poped up with two codes: p0455,and p0455pd.Useless dealership doesnt have an opening untill thursday,so I was seeing if anyone could help me out.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
I don't know how a water pump is related to the EVAP system but since you are pulling the p0455 evap leak code, you would first start by checking your gas cap tightness. Also try pulling up on the cap to see if the filler insert went down some.

·
What's the speed of dark?
32 Posts
Well the gas cap has always been broken since I first got it,but would it make my car miss,kind of has a hickup when idleing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts