LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed THIS today while I was doing my Saturday morning cleaning ritual. I pulled the right front tire off to clean the wheel well and noticed my stock 245/45/17 tire had definitely been rubbing on the strut. I brushed away the crud and took a pic of the bare metal. My guess is that hard cornering and/or hard braking caused the rub. If you've ever checked out the clearance with the stock tires, you've seen that it's pretty tight.

Also, my "body shop guy" and I each drove the car for a while with the front fascia removed (to facilitate painting.) The right front "cardboard mud flap" thingy in front of the tire must have been touching the tire, because there is a HUGE bite chewed out of it. Look at the different colored "patch" in the pic. (Sorry, the pic looked better on the camera's LCD display than it does here.)

·
Former Goatherder
658 Posts
I had a thread about something similar before. I was backing out of the lot and the bumper and all got pulled out of place. Dealer says there were stratches like it was up on a parking stop but I never felt it. Even without taking off the wheels and checking I can swear it's rubbing the struts. You can just tell when you turn the wheels and feel back against it they are touching. And as for hard cornering and hard braking, you just know we all are gonna do that sometimes. Not sure what to do about it now, I have to miss time at work and drive 50 miles to go to the dealer.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bengood24 said:
I had a thread about something similar before...
Yes, I remember seeing that thread. Seems you are not alone. I bet if our friends on this forum look closely, a great number of them will see evidence of tire rub on the struts, even from the stock tires. The clearances in the front are unbelievably tight.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Please help me (be kind, I'm female ;)) understand this better.

First off, if this is happening, then I would suppose this is a design fault.

Second, it would seem to me to reduce the life of both the tire and the strut?

Third, the pics you provided are, ummmm, dark :D Could you provide better pics with damage circled so Little Missy here knows what to look for.

Fourth, if mine shows damage, what then? Dealership?

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
1) I would call it a design fault, solved by using more narrow tires.
2) Reduce tire life definitely. Rubbing won't hurt the strut, just remove the paint.
3) You're right, the pics look dark when viewed from the thread. They didn't look that dark on my PC. I'll lighten them up and provide some "circles and arrows".
4) I cannot imagine what the dealership could do for you. If anyone considers this a serious problem, the only immediate solution is going to a more narrow tire and wheel. That would be tough, considering how few wheel options we have.

I don't think this is a serious problem. It is not a continuous rub. It probably only happens during aggressive driving (of which I do PLENTY.) If you've been relatively gentle with your Goat, you probably won't see what I've seen.

·
Here come Da Judge
228 Posts
My driving is usually pretty benign, but I have heard and felt the rub with hard left hand turns. So I try not to turn left, I just drive in circles to the right?

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I've only heard a sound when I'm backing out of my driveway and I hit the little bump at the end as I'm turning.
Dan

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Can you describe the sound? I make tight turns into and out of my driveway and I had a greater than 90 deg. fast turn at the south entrance to where I work and I haven't heard or felt anything I would consider out of the ordinary.

I haven't paid attention to sigs but could this be another diff between the A4 and the M6 similar to the thunk in the trunk issue?

·
Registered
301 Posts
It COULD possibly reduce strut life. If it rubs enough, as the tire spins it places the strut under a bending force it wasn't designed to accept at all. It was designed to be pushed and pulled apart, not bent. That could potentially hurt the valving inside.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Why did they make the tolerance so tight? They have been producing Monaros for what, 5-7 years, and surely there should have been some kind of recall already if it was serious enough to do damage to the strut and the other parts that rub?

Or are the Australian tolerances more forgiving? Is it because they switched to the 245 series tires? My GTO catalog from the dealer still says that the stock tires are 225 series.....

·
Registered Cruiser
77 Posts
Stock tyres in Australia are 235/40/18 on Monaro and 245/35/19 on the HSV GTS Coupe. When the Monaro was originally released, there was a blown 6 version which ran 235/45/17s. I don't know of any tyre rubbing issues over here on either Monaro or Commodore.

The Holden Commodore (on which the Monaro/GTO is based) runs anything from 205/65/15 through to the 245/35/19 mentioned above. Some compaines are running wider tyres than this but that may be in conjunction with aftermarket suspension.

Mick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts