LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Former GTO Owner
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title says. First time at the track led me to disapointment. Went to Great Lakes Dragaway and discovered that street racing is very different from drag racing. I guess that I've always thought that what could be done in the magazines could also be done in real life easily. This was not the case. Atleast with me it wasn't. I guess after really tring it out, it put it into perspective on how hard drag racing at the strip really is.

This is how it went: I get there late and could only put one timed run in because it was a street drag night (no timed runs) after 8PM. So after nervously waiting in the staging lanes for 2 hours and asking other racers as many questions as I could, it was my time to go. I haven't really done a brake stand in the car ever, so I did a mild burn out skipping the water box (as I was told by the other racers). Pulling up to the staging lights I hear someone mention that I have a nice mustang. And I thought to myself "Great, someone embarresess me before I can embarress myself". After a few seconds I shrug the comment off and continue to the lights. I end up over shooting the lights by a foot so the track director yells at me to back up. I do so and end up uncomfortably backing up into the staging lights. By the time I stop, the tree starts to come down. Light turns green in like no time and right from idle I start to spin the tires. Spinning and bouncing off of the rev limiter in first, second, and much of third. Midway through third she started to get loose. Scared me so I let off alittle finally getting traction into fourth gear.
It all happened so fast it felt like a five second run. I was wrong!

R/T .... .794
60' .... 2.676
330 .... 7.022
1/8 .... 10.243
MPH ... 78.05
1000 ... 12.930
1/4 .... 15.217
MPH .... 100.94

I know the car is fast, just the nut behind the wheel isn't. One thing does puzzel me though, why can't I spin them that bad on the street? But I do know this, I'm not going back without some kind of a drag radial and I need to practice more. A track being alittle less busy could help too (calm my nerves). I can't believe I was thinking of going 12.99 on my first run:banghead: . Man do I have alot to learn.:wall:

·
9 Second Club
14,848 Posts
LITE SPD said:
Just like the title says. First time at the track led me to disapointment. Went to Great Lakes Dragaway and discovered that street racing is very different from drag racing. I guess that I've always thought that what could be done in the magazines could also be done in real life easily. This was not the case. Atleast with me it wasn't. I guess after really tring it out, it put it into perspective on how hard drag racing at the strip really is.

This is how it went: I get there late and could only put one timed run in because it was a street drag night (no timed runs) after 8PM. So after nervously waiting in the staging lanes for 2 hours and asking other racers as many questions as I could, it was my time to go. I haven't really done a brake stand in the car ever, so I did a mild burn out skipping the water box (as I was told by the other racers). Pulling up to the staging lights I hear someone mention that I have a nice mustang. And I thought to myself "Great, someone embarresess me before I can embarress myself". After a few seconds I shrug the comment off and continue to the lights. I end up over shooting the lights by a foot so the track director yells at me to back up. I do so and end up uncomfortably backing up into the staging lights. By the time I stop, the tree starts to come down. Light turns green in like no time and right from idle I start to spin the tires. Spinning and bouncing off of the rev limiter in first, second, and much of third. Midway through third she started to get loose. Scared me so I let off alittle finally getting traction into fourth gear.
It all happened so fast it felt like a five second run. I was wrong!

R/T .... .794
60' .... 2.676
330 .... 7.022
1/8 .... 10.243
MPH ... 78.05
1000 ... 12.930
1/4 .... 15.217
MPH .... 100.94

I know the car is fast, just the nut behind the wheel isn't. One thing does puzzel me though, why can't I spin them that bad on the street? But I do know this, I'm not going back without some kind of a drag radial and I need to practice more. A track being alittle less busy could help too (calm my nerves). I can't believe I was thinking of going 12.99 on my first run:banghead: . Man do I have alot to learn.:wall:
The good news is I started about where you did and have it down to an 8.62 1/8 mile. That run was with TC on. My 60' times have come down from 2.5 to 2.0-2.1. Its hard to think about letting off when the tires break loose. You can search through here about techniques. MrDoc442 has some of the most effective launch techniques I've tried and I think many others on here use them too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts