LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution "farted" up behind me at a stop light. The traffic was real heavy, so we didn't get a chance to line up. He weaved his way to my right and I yelled out my window, "Sure wish we had some room!" and he agreed.

But he wasn't letting the heavy traffic slow him down and he began that dangerous and foolish game of weaving between cars. When I had a (safe) chance, I got behind him and followed him for a while.

He did not get away, but I admit, that thing was QUICK. I even hit my rev limiter once trying to keep up. Oh, but what I would have given for some open highway. I don't know what HIS top end is, but I've had mine to 140+ and I'm not afraid to go there again. :)

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
Our top end is higher then the Evo and STi and the GTO will out accelerate a stock Evo and STi in the triple digits no problem. Of course, that is the stock cars, who knows what this kid had installed??? That would have been fun but good decision on the safty factor!

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Sounds like fun but not exactly the best venue. Going 140 on him would show him how slow his top end is but having enough safe room to do that is unlikely. Best to let him go.

Just enjoy the pissed off bee hive exhaust note :barf:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I went from 70 to 140 and then down to 40 mph in about 3/4 mile. I could have gone faster but the instructor sitting next to me wouldn't let me.
:drink::drink:

·
Registered
223 Posts
My cousin EVO has great topend. He have Full Exhaust and Boost controller. Stock he ran 13.4-13.5 at 99-101mph. Now he runs 12.9-13.0 at 105-106mph. When his turbo comes alive it feels like a V8 in a small car. If u would like to run him i can fix a friendly race just to see how EVO's top end are.

·
Registered
66 Posts
sorry evos do not have top end like a cobra or a gto or even an srt-4. Look at a 03 cobra vs evo both can run 13.0 stock. The only way an evo can run that time is if he has a 1.8 60 ft time. Yes past a 100 my stock srt-4 can pull 1-2 cars from my buddy's evo. He has a pwerks reflash and B&B catback exhaust. Trapping at 105-106 aint ****.
Evos from a stop are impressive but past 85 evos start to fall on their ass unless highly modded b/c of awd. Yes they have top end but not compared to a gto. Now an Evo will murder a gto in any road course or around turns. Evos handling is awesome.

·
Registered
223 Posts
04srt4 said:
sorry evos do not have top end like a cobra or a gto or even an srt-4. Look at a 03 cobra vs evo both can run 13.0 stock. The only way an evo can run that time is if he has a 1.8 60 ft time. Yes past a 100 my stock srt-4 can pull 1-2 cars from my buddy's evo. He has a pwerks reflash and B&B catback exhaust. Trapping at 105-106 aint ****.
Evos from a stop are impressive but past 85 evos start to fall on their ass unless highly modded b/c of awd. Yes they have top end but not compared to a gto. Now an Evo will murder a gto in any road course or around turns. Evos handling is awesome.
03+ Cobra's trap 109mph+ in stock form so no way a EVO that traps 106mph will keep up with them. On the other hand, a GTO that traps 103-104mph will get pulled by the EVO up to 150mph no problems. So you are telling me a stock SRT 4 pulled your friend modded EVO after 100 mph huh? My brother have a stock 04 SRT 4 and it did get stomped by my cousin EVO. Im talking just walking away from the SRT 4 as in no comparsion. Now don't get me wrong, i talked my brother into buying the SRT 4 because they can be made really fast, but a stock SRT 4 is not going to pull a modded EVO.

·
Ludicrous Speed!
1,041 Posts
Hmm... I had an '03 Evo, with JoeP MBC at 20psi, full 3" Buschur turbo back exhaust, S-AFC, and Buschur intake. Ran 12.7 at 108 mph, dyno'd 306 awhp. The few SRT-4s that I messed with had nothing to offer, either stoplight or interstate speeds. Hard to believe that an Evo with similiar mods would have any issues with any "stock" SRT4, regardless of the speed. Heck, I beat the snot out of bolt-on modded M3's at Moroso for open track events, pulling on them up through 4th and 5th gears in the straights. Not to mention spanking them and Carrera 4S' in braking and cornering.

I can also tell you that I have a lot more work to get the GTO up to the quarter mile performance level of my old Evo, and seriously doubt I will be able to touch the handling without using wheel-barrows full of cash. Totally different cars though, totally different goals and reasons to own.

·
Registered
66 Posts
yeah I own the stock srt-4. Evo's suck top end. IF you race an evo from 60-120 I would put money on a gto stock vs stock or mod vs mod. Evos are great down low but have no top end power like a gto or srt-4 or cobra or SS or a C5. Also has a lot to do with driver. How does he have similar mods he put 243 whp to the wheels ( talking about the evo) He put down 218 stock. I was at the dyno with him and his dad. Did 3 runs. The Pwerks reflash and he dynoed 243 to the wheels. I'm talking about a roll not a dig. Evo's rule from a stop if you can launch right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts