LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am close to making an appointment to have Long Tubes and 3" Cats installed.

Then I had a thought. I plan on making a long drive, about halfway across the country and back. I want to do this on a yearly basis. Is this a good idea? Will LT's affect the long drive drive-ability or reliability? Am I just a little paraniod here?

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Cold, Water, and Snow can take its tolls on the effectiveness of the front o2's since they are relocated down by the collector. Everything else should be ok aslong as you are not doind some stunt driving and try to bottom them out.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
They might make the drive a lot more fun??!!??
:drink: :drink:

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DevilYellow said:
Cold, Water, and Snow can take its tolls on the effectiveness of the front o2's since they are relocated down by the collector. Everything else should be ok aslong as you are not doind some stunt driving and try to bottom them out.

I'm not one for jumping the car :) The drive would be to the East Coast to visit friends and family in the early fall/ late summer, so I wouldn't worry too much about snow and cold. Water on the other hand is unavoidable, Even in real life I expect I'll see a rainy day or two. Is water that big an issue?

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rferr said:
Having attended approximately 200 rock concerts prior to your birth I have to preserve what hearing I have left!
Heck, I hit 75+ shows a year in my 20's, small clubs large halls, I've mixed a good many shows.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there anyway to sheild them? It wouldn't have to be water tight, a splash guard seems like it would do the trick. I haven't seen the install though so I don't know. If you have pictures and a few dimentions I could probably fab something. A splash guard tig welded to the mounting point w/ provisions to change the O2 would deflect the water. If there is room..

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Right On...Eh?

rferr said:
Having attended approximately 200 rock concerts prior to your birth I have to preserve what hearing I have left!
Just a thought. A crossover tube (a real one) can quiet an exhaust drone quite a bit... ;)

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Shield

sxty8goats said:
Is there anyway to sheild them? It wouldn't have to be water tight, a splash guard seems like it would do the trick. I haven't seen the install though so I don't know. If you have pictures and a few dimentions I could probably fab something. A splash guard tig welded to the mounting point w/ provisions to change the O2 would deflect the water. If there is room..
How about a shield formed for the purpose, but attached to the floor pan, relieved to clear the header? A capital L with top mounting tabs viewed from the side, with an arc'ed bite from the left or right side of the vertical member as needed for each side for header clearance viewed from front to rear, and rolled lips on the three exposed sides to divert drips?

·
Comp Eliminator Goat Driver
2,345 Posts
I reference to comment about the exhaust note being annoying on long drives I disagree. The road trip I took last month was one of the best I have ever taken. The exahust note was music to my ears.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
sxty8goats said:
Its not even the o2's getting cold or water on them... its water on the headers cooling them down. The stock location for the o2 is tucked up right at the end of the factory manifold and on the LS2 its acctually in the middle of the center cylinders in the manifold.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So if I hit a puddle, the car runs like poop for 10 minutes? Anything more damaging than that?

(hold music at Case Credit $ucks)

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Not really because they are still working, the computer just thinks they are not working good enough. If they were not working at all idle and driveability goes down the tubes. The SES light will set if the computer thinks they are not switching fast enough. Driving in the winter would be annoying I think because of all the lights that pop up.

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
DevilYellow said:
Driving in the winter would be annoying I think because of all the lights that pop up.
Sets the mood for Christmas :)

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DevilYellow said:
Not really because they are still working, the computer just thinks they are not working good enough. If they were not working at all idle and driveability goes down the tubes. The SES light will set if the computer thinks they are not switching fast enough. Driving in the winter would be annoying I think because of all the lights that pop up.
I won't be driving it in the winter.

So why not mount it further up the header? Does it have to be in the collector area or can it be off of one extractors?

Sorry to be a pain, just learning a bit here.

·
Registered
541 Posts
rferr said:
The only comment I would make about long drives with that set up is to think about noise or resonance in the cabin. I noticed coming back from a two hour trip that the exhaust note on my GTO stock with the cruise control set at 71 mph and around 2k rpm caused a resonance in the cabin that gets a tiny bit annoying mile after mile. My friend had a vette that he changed from stock with headers and a borla exhaust and it made that car really fun but it was so loud going down the road that you could not hear yourself think and could barely talk to the person next to you. And the resonance literally gave you a headache. I can't say what your experience would be with the GTO but if you could find a person with a similar set up and go for a ride first I would recommend it.
Apparently going a hair too slow... :D Here the interstate limit is 70. I just took a 300 mi round trip and set at 75 I didn't notice anything with factory system.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Long drives in a M6 puts you around 2k rpm at 70ish. Some systems will avoid a resonance problem at this point. Having cats helps alot but with any aftermarket exhaust work you have to accept some volume. I personally don't mind the volume but after a while of cruising the resonance can get to you. The magnaflow CB i had on my A4 TA was damn near OE quiet at idle but had just a slight baritone at a 2k rpm cruise. You can't escape it really but can limit it with systems such as corsa, magnaflow, and some others. Bullet mufflers, chambered, straight pipe will almost always resonate.

Try listening to the radio, it helps.

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
rferr said:
I love the car and its exhaust I just would not want it any louder personally.
Me neither! In fact, I'd like it just a touch more quiet, personally. Gimme 100 more HP and turn down the volume a couple of notches (but don't take away the basso profundo rumble or the "true dual" burbles and pops...) :cool:

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
DevilYellow said:
ACdelco o2's work much better than bosch.
Do they make a universal 4 wire?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts