LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick one for all of you...After the car is sitting for a while, I get some moisture out of the tailpipes for the first few minutes after the car is running. Just wanted to make sure this is normal...If not, comments would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Brett

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
BTLew81 said:
Quick one for all of you...After the car is sitting for a while, I get some moisture out of the tailpipes for the first few minutes after the car is running. Just wanted to make sure this is normal...If not, comments would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Brett
Its been discussed here before and everyone says its normal. I would not worry

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks much...I won't be worrying then :)

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
considering water is a byproduct of combustion, i'd say it's normal

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
:drink: It's my only source of clean water. :drink:

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Normal. Mufflers have a weep hole in each to allow some water to come out but you will still get some coming from the tailpipe. I've drilled out the weep holes on mufflers before (same size, nothing bigger) in high mileage cars to get the most life out of the exhaust system. Over time if you don't have a stainless system it will rust from the inside out

·
Registered
276 Posts
DBlueGoat - nice signature pic, that is awesome...

and for the condensation, it is normal, i have a leaking clamp under the car, most my water ends up dripping out of that instead of the holes in the mufflers

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
NOrmal, normal, normal!

My suggestion is to go out and get on it a few times to blow it all out. :D

·
Looking to buy...
226 Posts
The water produced when gasoline is burned in your engine will condense in the mufflers / exhaust pipes. This will cause you to see water leaking out of the tailpipe. This will be especially noticeable in a new car or a car with a new exhaust system because the exhaust system is "tighter" with no leaks under the car for water to run out of. When the system gets hot enough the water will evaporate and be expelled as steam. this is why short trips can harm the exhaust system since all that water is left trapped in the mufflers when you shut off the engine and rusts them from the inside out. That is my two cents worth anyway.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
It's also more prevalent in cooler conditions such as our conditions here currently.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm glad this is a topic, i was gonna mention it. the water seems to drip around the differential and muffler area..it seems like clear water...it happens when i start it in the morning and let it warm for a few minutes..i don't like it. it seems to already have caused a bit of rust, making me thinkg the muffler will rust out soon.. also, my differential looks really cheap. like cheaply made metal...does anyone agreee ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts