LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
05' CGM GTO
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not quite the richest person in the world, actualy all i can really afford is a gto. lol. Anways, Im debating between a catback for headers for the first mod. It seems like they are gonna be farely close to the same price to purchase the parts its just which i wanna go for first because i probably wont be able to get the other half for like 6 months.

My two favorite exhausts have been a toss up between the magnaflow and the corsa. I like it deep and kind of raspy. I think the Loud mouth is just really raspy and doesnt meet my tastes. (any other recommendations will be taking into conisderation)

I want to know if i should gain the hp/tq from the headers and probably gain a louder sound from that also am i correct?
Or if i should just get the exhaust so she sounds real real sweet, but not notice much in performace.

Personally im leaning towards the headers for the performance gain, seems like id be getting more for the money. I was just wondering what the rest of the board thought.

I need to pass all inspections blah blah blah, 100% legal as its my daily driver. I read that long tubes are the best for performance but are illegal in most states.

Im basically looking for legal header recommandations for the best increased hp results. Also, Im assuming they all sound different so the one that adds the deepest tone would be prefeerd.

I just seen the magnaflow thread for 520$ (dont remember exact price but im close) full catback and it seems kind of hard to pass up, but i wouldnt mind spending a few more hundred for the headers to gain the hp...

·
I LOVE YOU PAP
864 Posts
I was wondering the same thing 2 months ago. I went with Kooks Long Tubes and catted mid pipes. I had gained some power (i wont get the full pontential till a tune) and it sounds great. Jst loud enough to sound like a real muscle car and not extremely loud. I vote for lts

·
05' CGM GTO
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are they street legal? were did you purchase, and how much? Large difference from the drivers seat?

·
302 6.0 LS2
261 Posts
it all depends on what your final goal is, as said in other threads. I personally installed a SLP LM1....I want headers also, but I plan on doing all the work myself, the only thing I will not touch are engine internals. Maybe spending some spare time browsing and seeing what others have done, what is and isnt worth it, etc.... headers are good, but personally, why feed something if you're only gonna make it feel constipated...granted the GTO's catback is pretty good.... atleast consider replacing the resonator w/ an x or h pipe, replace the crushed sections of exhaust and put in some higher flowing mufflers, or just pipes.... I got my SLP for $612 shipped. However....I am not giving out an vendor/sponsor info, etc... If I were you, I'd choose the Corsa over the Magnaflow....Magnaflow isnt much louder than stock...just depends on how much you want to keep the sleeper factor....

·
302 6.0 LS2
261 Posts
sporaclic said:
are they street legal? were did you purchase, and how much? Large difference from the drivers seat?
LT's are not legal. But with a good tune you could pass a sniffer test at the DMV. Shorties are the way to go for Emissions/Warranty. If you can do it all yourself and dont mind switching stuff out, I'd go for it. But apparently it's against Fed. Reg. to move the location or alter your catalytic converters...which long tubes do....but maybe the people talking about it(people on this forum who more then likely are much more wise with these things than I due to experience...etc.) were pulling legs.

·
05' CGM GTO
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured, Dont shorties gain alot less power? Therefore making it alot less worth it to do headers over exhaust?
I know the magnaflow is quiet, but i like the tone and i feel with a set of headers its gonna wake it up. My goal with the car as it stands right now

Headers, Catback, Intake, Tune

Ill probably throw in a thermostat and i believe someone told me to change spark plugs for heatsoak issues ( ill have look into it)

So really nothing to crazy, I would just like to spend my 800-1000 the most efficent way possible. I figured id get the added hp and sound. Very valid points on the exhaust not breathing enough for aftermarket headers. Ive already looked into many options and listend to many clips, Ive only heard long tubes though. Ive only seen people reccommend kooks LT headers, Any recommendations for shorties?

·
Destroyer of GTOs
1,968 Posts
If you are located in California, get an exhaust.

If you are located somewhere else, get headers.

When you change either, you car WILL sound meaner.

When you get exhaust, you wont gain as much power as headers.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
You will see more power gains from headers. Couple that with a catback, your gains will be slightly better. As was said. LT's are not approved in Cali. If that is where you are, do a catback, and see if JBA's are legal in your state. I can say from experiance. I had an SLP loudmouth on my car after I did the 05' rear conversion. It sounded great. A little drone, and raspy. I could deal with it. Then, I added LT's. The SLP had to go. The drone was horrible. I could not take the car on the highway. I stepped up to the Corsa sport. I love it. I do not have cats. So, mine is going to be a bit louder, and have more pop on decel. I am trying to get a clip ready. My motor is stock. Right down to the factory air filter, and box. I need a tune.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
LTs no question. the catback ISN'T restrictive until you start getting to a lot bigger power. i haven't seen anybody lower ETs with an exhaust. LTs will for sure. that's the best test of power. the LTs make the car sound really tough too.

·
05' CGM GTO
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok headers it is, It needs to be legal though. So can i still go with long tubes? Are they only illeal in CA? I live in NH. How do i go about finding if theyre legal here or not? It would really suck to go drop a g on something i cant put on my car legally

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
You should be fine in NH. I would get cats, unless you know someone. :secret: I went without, because of my tune, and the fact I can put my own inspection sticker on my car.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
sporaclic said:
I know the magnaflow is quiet, but i like the tone and i feel with a set of headers its gonna wake it up. My goal with the car as it stands right now
I ran Magnaflow's for about a year before I got SW LTs w/offroad pipes installed. IT WAKES up the Magnaflow's BIG TIME!

·
05' CGM GTO
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^^ makes me smile, then i realize its probably gonna cost me two grand to sound like that and idont smile so much, but... still a smile.

·
05' CGM GTO
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
actualy you know what, after about 60 listens, it sounds like shit. So why dont you unbolt all this shit, take it off your car immediatly, get that garbage off.

Once you get it off... call me up so you can sell it to me for like half price.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
sporaclic said:
^^^ makes me smile, then i realize its probably gonna cost me two grand to sound like that and idont smile so much, but... still a smile.
It cost me 2100 to get my Kooks offroads, and Corsa. I may have an 04', but everything on the exhaust is for an 05', 06'. Talk to Bob at Presision Porting on the left.

·
"American Muscle"
274 Posts
sporaclic said:
actualy you know what, after about 60 listens, it sounds like shit. So why dont you unbolt all this shit, take it off your car immediatly, get that garbage off.

Once you get it off... call me up so you can sell it to me for like half price.

Glad you enjoy it...

:gears:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts