LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have an A4 GTO and always hear a very distinct exhaust vibration / resonance sound while driving at low speeds (20 MPH), around 1000 RPM. It sounds like the exhaust system rattling against something - and does not sound normal.

I took it to my dealer and they said GM revealed this condition to be "Normal for this model". They said they could try "adjusting" the flyweel, but said this would void my warrenty

Does anyone else experience this problem?

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
I get a metallic rattle like noise that sounds like exhaust when I slam the door shut but that's the only time I hear it.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
mattgray98133 said:
Hi
I have an A4 GTO and always hear a very distinct exhaust vibration / resonance sound while driving at low speeds (20 MPH), around 1000 RPM. It sounds like the exhaust system rattling against something - and does not sound normal.

I took it to my dealer and they said GM revealed this condition to be "Normal for this model". They said they could try "adjusting" the flyweel, but said this would void my warrenty

It sounds really weird to me that the dealer would do work on a problem that is "known" and it would void your warranty. I'd find a different dealer if I were you.

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
This is the first I have heard of this. I think you have something wrong specific
to your car only. Have they even checked out all the brackets and fittings under
the car before they gave you that bogus answer. I would find another dealer.

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
When I took my original exhaust off I found the torca clamps holding the front muffler section to the rear tailpipe section were pretty loose.To store them in my attic I didn't even have to loosen them to seperate the two sections.So basically I am telling you to check those clamps to see if thats where your problem lies.That is the only place you would get any leaks or noise unless something is broken internally,which I doubt.Anthony

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
It is really early for this kind of thing but..

My Dakota goes through a catalitic converter every 15k miles or so. Dodge doesn't know why but they keep replacing them. The problems starts with a rattle under the car that just gets worse. Then I start to loose power because it starts to clog. If it is a rattle you hear, get a hose that is about 3 feet long and put one end to your ear. Then move the other end around the area you hear the noise from. You should be able to pinpoint the source.

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
sxty8goats said:
It is really early for this kind of thing but..

My Dakota goes through a catalitic converter every 15k miles or so. Dodge doesn't know why but they keep replacing them. The problems starts with a rattle under the car that just gets worse. Then I start to loose power because it starts to clog. If it is a rattle you hear, get a hose that is about 3 feet long and put one end to your ear. Then move the other end around the area you hear the noise from. You should be able to pinpoint the source.
But that IS a Dodge,Right. HaHA Anthony

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
I have an M6, but my exhaust needed two "fixes" which the dealer did under warranty.
1) The clamps holding the mufflers to the tail pipes were not fitted correctly and each tail pipe had a small leak shooting black soot out of the connectors. They loosened the clamps, refitted the tailpipes and tightened everything up.
2) The rearmost tailpipe clamp (the one closest to the exit point) had too much "play" in it and this allowed the tail pipes to "slap" against the bottom of the car on aggressive launch or even aggressive deceleration. The dealer's tech somehow modified the rearmost tailpipe clamp and fixed the problem. Very little "play" in the tail pipes. They feel solidly in place.

AFTER THEY COOL, try wiggling your tail pipes. You may find they have too much "play".

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Bone said:
But that IS a Dodge,Right. HaHA Anthony
Yea, its' a Dodge. What is your point?

·
Official Dragon Straightner
6,438 Posts
i test drove a A4 July 28th and it had this constant vibration in the rear of the car, which sounded like the exhaust system rubbing on something, or as if it were loose.
it wasn't a resonance, it was something vibrating.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem when I first purchased my A4 GTO, took it to the dealer and they ordered me a new left exhaust with no problems. When I went to pick my car up the Salesman said they actually checked other GTO's in the lot for the same problem.

mattgray98133 said:
Hi

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
mattgray98133 said:
Thanks for you suggestions! Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is an "exhaust leak"?
Matt,

Sorry, I did not see your question eariler.

An exhaust leak is any leak in the exhaust system from the engine back to and including the muffler. It can be caused by a loose conection or a hole in the exhaust system. If there is a leak on a new car it is most likely caused by a loose connection at the catback or the exhaust manifold. It could sound like a tapping or sputtering under the car. A large leak will sound more like a loud muffler but sharper..

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have exactly the same problem. Although I have a manual GTO.

The exhaust has a very noticeable resonance at exactly 1,000 rpm, regardless of what gear I am in. I haven't been able to reproduce the resonance without engaging the gears because it is too difficult to hold the engine at that speed.

I got under the car on Monday night and banged around on the section of the exhaust behind the axle and could very clearly hear that something is rattling around.

It is VERY annoying and I am planning on calling today to get a dealer to check it out and also to fix the differential mount clunk.

I will post again after getting a dealer to look at it.

Jim

·
VR4NOMORE....GTO4ME
80 Posts
Same problem here. Dammit...you know....I sold one old car with numerous problems and spent 30K on a new one with more problems. My car has been in the shop 3 times before I even made my first payment. Anything else new that pops up and I'm considering envoking my "lemon law" privleges. I love the car, but WTF???

·
Registered
541 Posts
rattle

The only related thing I can report is a rattle that developed after a thousand miles that can be heard at idle. It is intermittent and sounds like a loose baffle or some small metallic thing rattling around inside. I haven't done anything about it yet. I guess I should investigate further...

·
Registered
279 Posts
I took the car in to the dealer and they said that they adjusted the position of the exhaust, saying that it had moved out of position. Doesn't have that rattle at 1,000 rpm anymore.

Jim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts