LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone who has put an aftermarket exhaust on their goat give any reccomendations? I am looking for the best exhaust system and would like to hear any opinions or ratings on whats out there. Much appreciated.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
What do you define as the best?

Sound? Performance? Both?

The stock system's main holdback is the piping diameter. The mufflers themselves are straight through mufflers. I replaced my stockers with Magnaflow's and maybe gained one or two rwhp. Sound changed some (better).

Last weekend, I installed an SLP Loudmouth which addresses the piping diameter. Let me tell you, with the Stainless Works Long tube headers, no cats, and this system, I'd almost reckon it's louder than my heads and cammed Camaro! Can't give any dyno or track numbers as I have not been able to test either since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't get me wrong sound is important, but sound doesn't really make power. I was mainly refering to performance gains. I have spent hours looking for the right system that will free up the most power for the money. It's hard to afford mods on an Army salary.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
What do you define as the best?

Sound? Performance? Both?

The stock system's main holdback is the piping diameter. The mufflers themselves are straight through mufflers. I replaced my stockers with Magnaflow's and maybe gained one or two rwhp. Sound changed some (better).

Last weekend, I installed an SLP Loudmouth which addresses the piping diameter. Let me tell you, with the Stainless Works Long tube headers, no cats, and this system, I'd almost reckon it's louder than my heads and cammed Camaro! Can't give any dyno or track numbers as I have not been able to test either since.
CMNT, you have the SLP loudmouth on ur GTO? geez i must have missed that one.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Well, generally, the louder it is, the more powerful it'll be. The sound deadening of an exhaust system is the product of restriction caused by baffling, chmabering, or other methods. Hence, if you run it from the exhaust port on the head to the tailpipe without any restriction other than the bends in the piping, it'll be loud too. :D

Understanding you're on an army budget, your absolultely best bet, is to invest in some cutouts and have them installed strategically. :D When you want power, uncap them. When you want quiet, cap them back up. Or get a motorized version like the QTEP electric cutout(s).

But if a catback system is more you're liking, I think the Stainless Works, SLP Loudmouth/Powerflo and possibly the Borla being your best bet. Corsa is the expensive one and as will be B&B if they should come out with a system.

Another option (and is cheaper than a full blown cat-back) is to replace the stock mufflers with another brand. I originally chose Magnaflow's for mine. Removing the resonators is another option. There is pictures of someone doing this in the tech section. Do a search on running without resonators and that should pull it up.

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Cheapest way would be cutouts but finding a place to dump the exhaust is kinda tough. I thought about it.

SLP seems to be the leading choice on this board. Loudmouth sounds good IMO although i prefer my Stainless works because its a little smoother, deeper, without the rasp. You also don't have to worry about the resonators burning through over time and becoming a straight pipe system. It is true that chambered mufflers do not flow as well as straight through mufflers but with twin 3in mandrel bent pipes the Stainless works system will flow the same as everyone else.

Corsa is a great system but you have to be ok with going from true duals to single. I think the sound is alittle more high pitch and kinda "exotic" sports car sounding.

If stainless is not necessary (which i disagree) something like Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Dynomax will offer a cheaper system with similar hp gain depending on what mufflers are used.

Overall, performance will be very close on all the catbacks. For price Stainless works and SLP loudmouth are the least for stainless. I like the sound and volume of the Stainless works best because of addition of LTs and cats this spring for me will not be too much to handle (the loudmouth with LTs would be way to much for most people to handle as a daily driver IMO)

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
dogsoldier said:
Don't get me wrong sound is important, but sound doesn't really make power. I was mainly refering to performance gains. I have spent hours looking for the right system that will free up the most power for the money. It's hard to afford mods on an Army salary.
Nice to see someone from Ft Sill. I spend alot of time monthly in Lawton working for Goodyear.

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
Here are links to Jcast's SLP Loudmouth videos.

152 KB low res
Low Quality

7.3 MB high res.
High Quality

Adam4356's Stainless works exhaust videos.

199 KB low res
Low Quality

8.0 MB high res.
High Quality

Please save locally don't stream.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice. I am partial to the Borla system but not partial to the price.

·
NASCAR-A-HOLIC
1,211 Posts
while on the subject of exhausts, did anyone else get the annoying popping (almost backfiring type) sounds on decelleration with the stock exhaust system. The car sounds nice, until I let off the pedal and get down between 2000 and 3000 rpm's then the popping begins. Want to get that checked and look at headers and new exhaust.

·
Registered
199 Posts
gordo24fan said:
while on the subject of exhausts, did anyone else get the annoying popping (almost backfiring type) sounds on decelleration with the stock exhaust system. The car sounds nice, until I let off the pedal and get down between 2000 and 3000 rpm's then the popping begins. Want to get that checked and look at headers and new exhaust.

I love downshifting and getting that noise, I think it sounds nice. That grumble / pop definitly gets attention too when approaching lights in town...

·
NASCAR-A-HOLIC
1,211 Posts
LMAO ok ok, it can be an attention getter.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
gordo24fan said:
You think the gaot has a popping sound on deacceleration, my twin 40mm DCOE carbed Alfa Romeo sounds AWSOME doing that. I love the smell of raw racing fuel!!!

Doc

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had the factory resonators cut off, the mufflers replaced with bullet mufflers, and 2 new tips. Sounds mean and looks better. I think I paid like 240.. I really like the setup of the SLp but 599, thats a little steep for some pipe in my opinion.. good luck..

·
dozlert
1,951 Posts
dogsoldier said:

Quit complaining...you get mor "allowances" than the AF weenies! All you have to do is give up a few niceties...like hotel rooms insead of tents, ect...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As off topic as that last post was I feel I have to respond. I don't exactly know what you mean by "allowances", but I wasn't complaining. It is just a fact that it is hard to afford mods on an Army salary.

·
dozlert
1,951 Posts
Thanks Dogsoldier...I understand. I have been in for awhile and am burning the candle at both ends already (over 20). It is also hard to read about everybody having fun with their Goat while I am sitting in Korea. Well, at least my mods are making it to my house ready for me when I get back.

·
KBAS
221 Posts
dogsoldier said:
Go to Iraq... that's how I'm surviving. 15 months = $39,000:)

·
Registered
139 Posts
dogsoldier said:
Can anyone who has put an aftermarket exhaust on their goat give any reccomendations? I am looking for the best exhaust system and would like to hear any opinions or ratings on whats out there. Much appreciated.
The only exhaust thats going to make any real difference would be
installing a set of long tube headers. The cat back systems will only effect the sound & from what ive been reading here you will probably get less than 10 Hp.
I think the GTO sounds awesome as it is. Is it worth 700 or more to gain 10hp?
I just installed the Predator tune & it really made a difference!
The shifts are much firmer & the acceleration feels much stronger. For the money I think this is a much better modification.

·
RED BARRON
4 Posts
dogsoldier said:
All i can say it that i put stainless works long tube headers and rt hi flow cats and a borla exhaust system on my gto. i was very impressed with the sound that it gave me.. i love pulling up to a import car in about 3rd gear and just floor it. i know it makes them feel like sh!t :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts