LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you considering an extended warranty for your new GTO?

I bought dealer-offered extended warranty for my last two cars (both Grand Prix's).

I am considering two other sources this time:

1. Warranty Direct

2. 1Source Auto Warranty

I would appreciate your comments, if you have experience with either of these companies. Positive or negative comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Bobp16 :cool:

·
Registered
529 Posts
I bought 1SourceAutoWarranty for my LHS. Diamond Plan 10 yr. 100K mile bumper to bumper no deduct for $1,200. Since then I've replaced:

Speed input sensor - $484
Speed output sensor - $496 (6 months later long story)
3 Infiniti Speakers - $427

Free towing for each incident - $150
Free rental each incident - $500+

I'm no spokesperson or salesman but 1source is the ONLY one I trust and obviously my extended warranty has paid for itself.

They already have the GTO listed. The Diamond 10/10 is $2,049. I guess they don't trust GM's build quality yet. We're getting ready to do my wife's Tahoe @ 6yr/100K. The cost is $1,549.

It's great piece of mind. I may get the dealer plan though if it's the same. Read the fine print.

Make sure speakers, electrical systems, rental car, trip protection, etc. are all included. 1source has full disclosure, the 6 yrs. starts from when you buy it, however the 100K is the odometer reading. (not current reading + 100K) The best part is it's transferrable for only $60.

http://www.1sourceautowarranty.com/ShowContent.asp?content=home

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Having dealt with this for years administering warranties, I would only get a manufacturer based (I.E. in this case GMPP) extended caoverage. The only real difference to the customer between the factory warranty and then the extended GMPP is that the customer, depending on their plan, may have to pay a deductible. Otherwise, the dealer/Service Department administers all authorizations, requests, and parts acquisition. You the customer doesn't have to lift a finger.

Conversely, an aftermarket extended warranty can be a pain in the a$$ for both the dealer AND the customer to deal with. IN some cases (even one for a personal vehicle of mine) it took legal action to get them to cover what was in the letter of the contract that was paid for. For any aftermarket extended plan, the service department must contact the company, have them send out an adjuster to view the vehicle and what needed to be fixed. They then have to be appraised as to the costs (parts and labor) that will be involved. In some cases, they may try to source their own parts to cut costs. That could mean junkyard parts or cut rate auto salvagers and in many cases, non genuine GM parts. They then leave and it could be a couple days before you hear anything....if at all. If after a few days, you haven't heard anything from the adjuster, you have to make a call to the office again and in 99% of the cases (If you can't get ahold of the original adjuster), start the whole process over again....I.E., they send out another adjuster and the whole process repeats itself. We had a vehicle needing a simple transmission that sat for nearly a month while this whole game of charades took place. Meanwhile, the customer was out of THEIR vehicle, driving a rental, racking up a rental bill (that usually the dealer would sometimes eat some of the cost of) and usually tieing a technician and in some cases a service bay up. This REALLY pisses off many people including YOU the customer! Now had that van been covered by GMPP, that thing would've been fixed and back to the customer in probably two days!!!

In my case, it was also a transmission that took a letter to HonorGuard from my legal team that finally got the ball rolling.

Trust me, CVP's case is a rare one, most of the time, dealing with these aftermarket warranty companies is a nightmare and a half and I've seen it happen hundreds of times. So if you're insistent on gettin an extended warranty (something I don't buy personally), then I would only go GMPP. You'll pay more upfront, but come down the road at 50,000 miles and your car belches a piston or something, you'll be glad you had it and not the others!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Warr

I agree 100% with the above thread -- I have had both and have had trouble with the after market one. Also I have had several GM extended warrinties and also several family members have had the GM one also and have had nothing but good experiences and no problems at all and I dont think that they are much higher.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Good, saves me the effort. :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts