LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a hood that pulls some of the heat from under the hood of my turbo GTO. I am wondering if anyone has a bashed hood with the Vic Jr and an elbow? My Throttle body slighty rubs on the stock hood and hope the bashee hood has a bit more clearance. Thanks!

·
Is that FWD?
1,102 Posts
I have banshee hood with Fast 102, TB, MAF, etc. Not sure if more clearance than stock hood.

·
Worthless reject member
40,771 Posts
VFN cowl gives plenty of clearance, but fitment is poor OOB. also, not sure if the cowl will help heat extraction, since the base of the windshield is supposedly a high pressure area, but there is a sizable vent back there. the major pro is that it is inexpensive and pretty light. 20 lbs by my measurement.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have banshee hood with Fast 102, TB, MAF, etc. Not sure if more clearance than stock hood.
Any chance you could measure the underside of the hood for me? Or even some more pics? What i would need would be if you held a string across the bottom lip where the TB would be and measure the clearance to the hood. A piece of clay on your throttle body and measure the squish would work too. I can put a stock intake on my motor to compare that measurement. Your car looks great btw!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VFN cowl gives plenty of clearance, but fitment is poor OOB. also, not sure if the cowl will help heat extraction, since the base of the windshield is supposedly a high pressure area, but there is a sizable vent back there. the major pro is that it is inexpensive and pretty light. 20 lbs by my measurement.
I'm trying to avoid a cowl, had one on my olds cutlass and didn't care for the visibility. I honestly need half an inch of extra clearance at most.

·
Worthless reject member
40,771 Posts
i don't blame you. The VFN doesn't limit visibility that much in my opinion, since it's only a 3" and looks narrower and smoother than most cowl hoods i've seen.

You might consider just getting an 04 hood (they seem pretty plentiful) and notching up the support skin underneath.They also make vents that aren't cheap looking, there's a thread on here where someone installed them on his 05/06 hood, they look quite nice.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,167 Posts
They also make vents that aren't cheap looking, there's a thread on here where someone installed them on his 05/06 hood, they look quite nice.
Howdy

·
Is that FWD?
1,102 Posts
Any chance you could measure the underside of the hood for me? Or even some more pics? What i would need would be if you held a string across the bottom lip where the TB would be and measure the clearance to the hood. A piece of clay on your throttle body and measure the squish would work too. I can put a stock intake on my motor to compare that measurement. Your car looks great btw!
I can try to do that, but with my FAST 102, TB and MAF, it sits way higher that the stock TB did. So unless you have the exact same setup, the hood would not sit the same.
My Svede OTR fit with stock hood, I had to cut the Banshee hood to get that to fit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can try to do that, but with my FAST 102, TB and MAF, it sits way higher that the stock TB did. So unless you have the exact same setup, the hood would not sit the same.
My Svede OTR fit with stock hood, I had to cut the Banshee hood to get that to fit.
Is there way to measure from the engine valley plate to the top of your TB? I won't have an issue closer to the nose fo the car, it will just be where the TB bolts to the intake elbow.

·
Is that FWD?
1,102 Posts
Is there way to measure from the engine valley plate to the top of your TB? I won't have an issue closer to the nose fo the car, it will just be where the TB bolts to the intake elbow.
Are you talking where bottom of the intake manifold sits on the engine measured up to the top of the TB?

·
Is that FWD?
1,102 Posts
You bet and then from the top of the tb to the hood. Thanks!
Sorry didnt take any photos but looks like 6 inches from bottom of intake manifold to top of TB. 8 inches to to top of Fast 102lsxr intake manifold, so my fast sits way higher than TB. Really hard to tell how much clearance from TB to hood when it is shut. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry didnt take any photos but looks like 6 inches from bottom of intake manifold to top of TB. 8 inches to to top of Fast 102lsxr intake manifold, so my fast sits way higher than TB. Really hard to tell how much clearance from TB to hood when it is shut. Hope that helps.
I'm nearly 8.5 to the top of my Throttle body and it barely fits below the stock hood (actually rides on the hood a bit).

·
Is that FWD?
1,102 Posts
I'm nearly 8.5 to the top of my Throttle body and it barely fits below the stock hood (actually rides on the hood a bit).

View attachment 504172
Let me see if I can get a piece of clay or something and I'll try to measure the hood when it's closed on top of my throttle body to see if you can get 8.5 inches of clearance

·
Is that FWD?
1,102 Posts
Used 2 soft sponges. 2 fit right at 8.5 inches to top of hood with it shut. Remember my TB is only 6 inches from engine valley. If you need more than 8.5 from engine valley not sure it will make it. Also here is what underside of hood looks like and no hood liner.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts