LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the F-body turbo kits fit on the GTO's er do we gotta wait fer somebody to come out with one that'll fit. Another question is what is the hearsay about next years GTO and the LS2 er something of that nature.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Well ... no

You might want to think about it more first before you plan to just bolt on turbos. Sure it can be done cheaply but you get what you pay for. This motor is not really built for boost. The correct way to do turbo an LS1 car is to build another low compression motor, then upgrade the fuel system, and install an aftermarket DFI. Only then will it be safe and reliable, not only that ... but also very fun.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
To answer the 2nd question - it's all hearsay. From that hearsay, I'm fairly certain that at least some GTO's in '05 will probably get the LS2 - rated somewhere under 400 hp but over the 350 of the LS1. The big question in my mind is will it be all cars, or only an option for a top-end car.
Interesting question - I read somewhere that the actual LS1 block is not being made, so technically all LS1's have the LS6 block now? Does anybody know if that's true?

·
Registered
1 Posts
From what i understand from my guy at powertrain, most gm cars will get the ls2 block regardless, and the trucks get it in iron and alum for the 06 model year. Its about time gm thought about keeping costs down for the people
to hot rod therse cars in the future ;)

ll hearsay. From that hearsay, I'm fairly certain that at least some GTO's in '05 will probably get the LS2 - rated somewhere under 400 hp but over the 350 of the LS1. The big question in my mind is will it be all cars, or only an option for a top-end car.
Interesting question - I read somewhere that the actual LS1 block is not being made, so technically all LS1's have the LS6 block now? Does anybody know if that's true?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
121 Posts
DevilYellow said:
Well ... no

You might want to think about it more first before you plan to just bolt on turbos. Sure it can be done cheaply but you get what you pay for. This motor is not really built for boost. The correct way to do turbo an LS1 car is to build another low compression motor, then upgrade the fuel system, and install an aftermarket DFI. Only then will it be safe and reliable, not only that ... but also very fun.
Is that just with turbochargers or SC's too? I was under the impression that the Magnacharger system was fairly safe. I mean it comes with it's own ECU (right?) and it's warrentied against damage done by the SC to your engine. It's also supposed to run with the stock internals and CR. Though it's only rated at 4.5 to 5.5 lbs of boost, on any V8 that adds up fairly fast. That's what I'd like to do. Power on tap while preserving most of the gas milage and drivability. :)

Feel free to straighten me out on this, I'm here to learn. Thx.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Usually those kits come with reprogrammed PCMs ... which I would run away from. I would have the car dyno tuned. Low boost like that can be handled without doing the DFI or full fuel system (just need injectors) ... but do you really want to spend $5000+ for just 5lbs of boost? Heads and cam still keep driveability and when you are just putting around town milage should not be affected at all.

·
Registered
121 Posts
DevilYellow said:
Usually those kits come with reprogrammed PCMs ... which I would run away from. I would have the car dyno tuned. Low boost like that can be handled without doing the DFI or full fuel system (just need injectors) ... but do you really want to spend $5000+ for just 5lbs of boost? Heads and cam still keep driveability and when you are just putting around town milage should not be affected at all.
As far as I know the kit I'm speaking of doesn't require different injectors. It does, however, have a PCM that reprograms your stock maps in the stock PCM (if I read it right). And at this point I don't really know if I'd spend that much for 5 lbs of boost. I'd have to wait till someone else does it to see what they got out of it, that's why I'm here. And some of it's the WOW factor of having a blower sitting under the hood, ya, I also like shiny metal objects. :)

1) I drive 74 miles a day to work and back. Will H/C affect my milage and overall engine reliability more or less than a little bit of boost?

2) To equal the output of 5 lbs of boost how much would you have to pay on a H/C car? And would I have to listen the anoying drone of headers and performance exhaust? And remember, it's just a preference thing, I realize some of you like that. But as much as I drive it would get old in a week.

Thx.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Some kits come with FMU's instead of injectors ..... ditch that and buy the injectors. The FMU tricks the fuel system to up the pressure and it bypasses the PCM.

Are we talking about a GTO here? M6 or A4 ... that makes a big difference with H/C. The nice thing about H/C packages is that it is not really putting additional strain on the motor like a supercharger is.

·
Registered
121 Posts
GTO, yes, and an M6. I guess mainly talking about the LS1. And I would have thought that 450hp would be the same strain H/C or SC'ed. Woudln't the overall cylinder pressures and forces on the crank, rods and associated parts be the same whether it came from H/C or SCer? I thought that as long as I didn't have my foot in it a SC would just sit there and be a parasitic item where no matter where your foot is with an off-road cam you've always got that gas waisting overlap of valve timing.

And once again, not arguing, I don't know enough about this subject to make an argument. :) Just trying to learn.

Thx.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Well it all depends on the size of the cam. You can go to a decent cam where the worst that would happen is that it would surge at low RPM in a high gear (ie... dont put around at 1000rpm in 5th gear) and the idle will want to hang a little more so it doesn’t die out. The SC generates more heat and runs from the crank both which put more stress on the motor.

We are getting into some technicalities.... there are always exceptions, my main point is the LS1 is a high compression motor with neither the fuel or PCM capabilities to run a decent size boost application.

·
Registered
121 Posts
O.K., I understand a little better now. And ya, due to the high compression, PCM and fuel delivery abilities it's not an "ideal" motor for boost. Guess I'll keep my options open.

Could you explain the "surging" property of an aftermarket cam a little? Does that mean the torque gets a little "peaky" at a certain rpm?

·
Registered
7 Posts
LS1 Motorsports (www.ls1motorsports.com) down here where I live has some serious turbo kits for the Fbodies and Vettes. They have a 120k mile 98 Trans Am that they did nothing to except install their turbo kit and are getting over 600rwhp I believe. Their kits vary in boost levels, include new injectors and a new PCM program (on a dyno), and some even have alcohol injection kits. Engine longevity depends on a lot of things including boost level and driver spirit.

I understand that he is likely to design a kit for the GTO, too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts