LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Evil is as Evil does
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming home tonight driving very normally and as I go around a very mild curve in a road I have driven a million times I hear CLUNK CLUNK. I was doing about 35 at the time. I was a bit close to the road edge so I figure I hit a pothole or something. I coast to a stop, wondering what the heck just happened. I was a quarter mile from my house so I slowly drive home. When I get there, I park and look at the passenger wheels. Both rims are a little scuffed but nothing bad. The tires, on the other hand, are both sliced verticallythrough the sidewall. No punctures or loss of air, and no blowout thankfully, but really f-ed up my tires.I'm guessing these are not drivable much more, else I risk a blowout. They are 18's. They've got 1600 miles on them. :banghead: :mad:

·
1 of 412 QS Black/M6/18's
528 Posts
No ideas on what happened? looks like you hit some sheet metal or something sharp as heck that sliced it.

JR

·
Omertà
5,303 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear that...at least the rims are OK & there wasn't a blowout.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Blown tires

Did you see if there was anything in the road?

Take it to a authorized dealer, could be a manufacture defect, they might try to stiff you because they are OE tires. Take it to the dealer they do tires if they value you and your mouth as a happy customer they should at least pro rate the remaining tread depths on two new tires. If you want something sticky go with Bridgestone RE-01R same tires on Rhys Drift GTO, same treadwear as stock and about the same price as the stock ones. Sorry about the long post, just trying to help a goat out.

·
Evil is as Evil does
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whatever I hit, it was part of the road. There were two very distinct thunks as each wheel hit it, whatever it was. I know exactly where it happened, so I'm gonna head over tomorrow and take a look.

So is the general concensus that I should not drive on these tires now for fear of a blowout? Who has a good recommendation on replacement tires 235/40-18? I'd like a good all-season tire, which the stock ones apparently are not. Could I get away with 245's for the extra width? Will they rub?

·
Former GTO Owner
1,884 Posts
Hey Goat said:
Did you see if there was anything in the road?

Take it to a authorized dealer, could be a manufacture defect, they might try to stiff you because they are OE tires. Take it to the dealer they do tires if they value you and your mouth as a happy customer they should at least pro rate the remaining tread depths on two new tires. If you want something sticky go with Bridgestone RE-01R same tires on Rhys Drift GTO, same treadwear as stock and about the same price as the stock ones. Sorry about the long post, just trying to help a goat out.
Its nice of you to suggest that, but thats no manufacture defect and for him to get the tires prorated would be an act of GOD. But I guess if you don't ask, you don't get. :ftw:

·
Former GTO Owner
1,884 Posts
EvilTwin said:
Whatever I hit, it was part of the road. There were two very distinct thunks as each wheel hit it, whatever it was. I know exactly where it happened, so I'm gonna head over tomorrow and take a look.

So is the general concensus that I should not drive on these tires now for fear of a blowout? Who has a good recommendation on replacement tires 235/40-18? I'd like a good all-season tire, which the stock ones apparently are not. Could I get away with 245's for the extra width? Will they rub?
I would do a search to see if a wider tire would work without rubbing. I have all season Toyo Proxy 4 rubber and I like them alot. Cheap too!

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
Ha, kind of looks like when I hit a softball size rock and it modified my stock 18'' rim and tire.

·
GOT Boost???
253 Posts
If it is a defect in the road make sure to get photos of it and contact the city or state agency in charge of it. You can sometimes get them to take resposibility and pay for the repair. They have insurance to cover it.

·
Evil is as Evil does
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jontall said:
They have a warranty... Call Bridgestone or take it to the dealer.
Do our cars come with a roadhazard warranty for the tires? I was under the impression that they didn't.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Call Your Insurance Agent Its Comp. If You Have A Low Deduct May Be Worth It.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Hard to believe a road hazard would cause this.......especially when it's both tires in virtually the same area. DO NOT DRIVE ON THESE TIRES..........in fact, I would call AAA or some other roadside service and get a rollback to take your car to a tire shop that sells that brand of tire. Dealership will tell you the same thing, take it a tire store for adjustment. I'm running 245's all around with no problems. Might be time for a complete new set of tires as 2 of yours has already puked on you.

JET

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,952 Posts
Dude DO NOT DRIVE ON THOSE TIRES AGAIN.

If the sidewall were to go you might damage the rim or loose control of the car as you skate on the rims.

Good Luck

·
Evil is as Evil does
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will not be driving the car again until I have new rubber to put on them. I ordered a full set of Avon Tech M550 A/S from Tire Rack. Hopefully they will be here Monday. Fortunately I work from home, so no commute. And if I need to go somewhere I can always pull out the trusty ol' Stealth Twin Turbo. Good thing I haven't sold it yet. Maybe I'll keep it around for a winter AWD beater.

·
not a pontiac its a HOLDEN !!
8,787 Posts
you ever get back to where it happened and get pics ?

ive driven on worse for a short distance , they should get you to the tire shop if its close , but i difenetly wouldnt be hauling ass to get there

·
Evil is as Evil does
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went back and looked. Damned if I couldfind anything significant. The spot has a tree with the roots literally right at the roads edge. I can't believe a tree root would do this, but perhaps I hit it hard enough that the sidewall rolled up and the rim squashed and cut it? The new tires shipped today. 1 day UPS ground from Tire Rack's warehouse in Delaware. Should be here Monday.
Here's some pics:

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you can get the dealer or authorized Bridgestone distributor to identify that the problem occured from the road, take that to the city or county DOT.

Probably not a manufacture defect but it doesn't hurt to try, good luck

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm like, 99.4 % sure our tires come with a 7,000 mile warranty. If you're under that, it would be worth bringing it in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts